What memory for Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6

ganthetb

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hi all,
I am pretty sure I will pick up this new mobo that uses DDR3. I was looking for DDR3 1333 but wasn't sure about the voltage. The specs on the mobo say 1.5 V but a lot of the DDR3 memory is higher than that. The manual says you can increase the voltage on the mobo to 1.55 which wouldnt be enough. Curiously, some of the memory on the supported list from Gigabyte for this board runs as high as 1.9V.

So, what DDR3 1333 memory should I be looking for on this mobo? I'm going to use the new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU which runs at 1333 as well.

Mobo specs:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2765&ProductName=GA-X48T-DQ6

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Wow, Adobe and Firefox do not get along on my computer. I hate it when I have to use IE.

Are you uncertain that you can get to the correct voltages? I am still looking for that info in the manual but 1.55V seems a bit low for a max. The BIOS should allow you to fry your RAM at super high voltages if you want to. I am thinking that you can only add 1.55V to the default settings.

Yes that is what it says. +0.05 to roughly +1.55V. The way Gigabyte sets up their BIOS, you OC with additional voltages rather than the total. So if you wanted to reach 2V, you would input 0.5V to add to the 1.5 default. Sort of an odd system but it is what it is. So you could take it up to 3V if you feel like watching your RAM burn out for a fun science experiment.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to consider the memory on the supported list. It does not mean that it is the ONLY RAM the works, it is just that it has been tested with no compatibility issues with that MOBO. It is a good place to start none the less. Sounds like you have checked it out though. Corsair I would say gets the most accolades.

ganthetb

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
thanks! I had the same thought that the +1.55V was in addition to th base 1.5V but when I saw the screenshots of the BIOS setting it didn't appear that way.

By the way, thanks very much for actually peeking at the manual to confirm what I thought I had read. That was extremely kind of you! Most people online wouldnt have bothered :)

I considered the supported list but its so damned expensive! I saw cheaper ram at NewEgg so I wanted to know what my options are ;)