Clie losing all data after battery discharging

May 31, 2004 8:51:08 AM

I have a Sony Clie SJ-22 and a while ago I went on vacation and left
it at home. When I came back it would not turn on. So I recharged it
and it turned on, but all the data disappeared. It was back to like
if I had just bought it new from the store--gave me the prompts to
calibrate the screen, had to set the date, etc, and reload all my
software and data again.

Recently, the battery discharged again after I let it go weeks without
recharging. The same thing happen. To test it, I let it discharge
one more time on purpose this time. All data gone again.

This is not how my Palm(tm) PDAs behaved. I had a IIIe, IIIxe, IIIc,
and a Vx, and all of them would not lose the data even if I let it go
without charging for months. In fact on the III series, I could
remove the batteries and the data would still be safe.

It this a Clie "feature", or do I have a bad unit?

Thanks.
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 12:59:33 PM

I have a CLIE PEG-N770 and it does the same - but at the end of the day,
that's why you synchronise with your PC it is it not?

--
"PLEASE NOTE : Care Should Be Taken When Lifting This Product, Since Its
Mass, and Thus Its Weight, Is Dependent on Its Velocity Relative to the

"Marcio Watanabe" <Marcio@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p odlb0t0u30brj9g8iik1t4nq9nsa03p4g@4ax.com...
> I have a Sony Clie SJ-22 and a while ago I went on vacation and left
> it at home. When I came back it would not turn on. So I recharged it
> and it turned on, but all the data disappeared. It was back to like
> if I had just bought it new from the store--gave me the prompts to
> calibrate the screen, had to set the date, etc, and reload all my
> software and data again.
>
> Recently, the battery discharged again after I let it go weeks without
> recharging. The same thing happen. To test it, I let it discharge
> one more time on purpose this time. All data gone again.
>
> This is not how my Palm(tm) PDAs behaved. I had a IIIe, IIIxe, IIIc,
> and a Vx, and all of them would not lose the data even if I let it go
> without charging for months. In fact on the III series, I could
> remove the batteries and the data would still be safe.
>
> It this a Clie "feature", or do I have a bad unit?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 5:02:01 PM

Hi Marcio,

> I have a Sony Clie SJ-22 and a while ago I went on vacation and left
> it at home. When I came back it would not turn on. So I recharged it
> and it turned on, but all the data disappeared.

my wife has the same problems with her SJ-22.
She uses it until the "Battery low" alert is displayed.
Now she has about 1-2 days for charging. After this period all data are lost. :-(

I assume, the voltage level for the battery low warning is too low.

I would appreciate it, if somebody could provide us with a tool, which displays
the warning message at a higher voltage level.

Didn't have a look at sony's website.
Does anybody know, if there is some system update available?

TIA

Olaf
Related resources
June 2, 2004 4:19:08 PM

That's how all handheld devices work. Power is needed to keep the data in
RAM. Your old Palm device may have had a backup battery that let you safely
remove the battery for a few seconds. Also, your old devices probably used
store-bought AAA batteries that lasted longer than the Li-ion battery in the
Clie.

P.S. Sony just announced they're no longer going to be selling PDA's in
America.

"Marcio Watanabe" <Marcio@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p odlb0t0u30brj9g8iik1t4nq9nsa03p4g@4ax.com...
> I have a Sony Clie SJ-22 and a while ago I went on vacation and left
> it at home. When I came back it would not turn on. So I recharged it
> and it turned on, but all the data disappeared. It was back to like
> if I had just bought it new from the store--gave me the prompts to
> calibrate the screen, had to set the date, etc, and reload all my
> software and data again.
>
> Recently, the battery discharged again after I let it go weeks without
> recharging. The same thing happen. To test it, I let it discharge
> one more time on purpose this time. All data gone again.
>
> This is not how my Palm(tm) PDAs behaved. I had a IIIe, IIIxe, IIIc,
> and a Vx, and all of them would not lose the data even if I let it go
> without charging for months. In fact on the III series, I could
> remove the batteries and the data would still be safe.
>
> It this a Clie "feature", or do I have a bad unit?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:24:41 AM

"Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>That's how all handheld devices work. Power is needed to keep the data in
>RAM. Your old Palm device may have had a backup battery that let you safely
>remove the battery for a few seconds. Also, your old devices probably used
>store-bought AAA batteries that lasted longer than the Li-ion battery in the
>Clie.

The IIIc and Vx are rechargeables. I have let the IIIc discharge
until it would no longer turn on several times and it still kept the
data.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 2:02:49 PM

Marcio Watanabe wrote:
> The IIIc and Vx are rechargeables. I have let the IIIc discharge
> until it would no longer turn on several times and it still kept the
> data.

In my opinion there is one important difference:
I assume, the Vx stops working on a higher battery level. That means, it has
enough power to keep the data for many weeks.

The sony warns you about an empty battery just before it's really empty - and
all data are lost.

Those are assumptions, but I'm nearly sure, that setting the battery warning
level to a higher voltage would help.
I'm afraid, that this warning level is part of the ROM.

So you would have to flash an update from sony - if available.
Or you could install a tool, which is able to set the warning level in RAM -
means, that you have to set it up every time after a hard reset manually.

Olaf
!