Can you have too much cooling?

yaoiboimi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Just a thought here we have a case that we have so much CFM could/would it interfere with something like a stock CPU fan, hence creating turbulence for the air needed?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you hook a jet engine to your case, maybe.

Anyway, you can have too much cooling, you can tell when the effect of removing a fan isn't noticeable in temps but it is in noise levels.

Cooling is about balance between, well, cooling and noise.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
when air cooling via heatsinks, the faster the air speed, plus higher the air volume the better. Theoretically, and we are talking extreme, if you had a handful of crazy fans, and for some reason an ungrounded device you would generate static electricity via friction, etc. All devices are grounded so without a wiring fault (AC OR DC), or you touching physically touching something to transfer that static energy, you won't have a problem.

Things that can go wrong that you can adjust/fix:

*fan that gets pointed in the wrong direction (it happens)
*case fan somehow pointing just right at smaller video or northbridge fan that causes it to spin faster than designed and bust a bearing (happens more often when someone uses compressed air to clean the heatsink, but the noise is usually obvious, high pitched weeee.)
*dead zone around the cards where no air moves, re-aim or add fans and venting as necessary.

G

or if you ran your computer at absolute zero

then it wouldn't work

ever

hehe

(well maybe if it thawed... don't really know)

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Dust. Dust will always be the bane of air cooling. And the more volume of air your box moves, the more dust your box will collect.

To combat this, get a minivac or a can of air and clean the dust bunnies out every other month. I still have to do this with my water cooled boxes too. And I have seen phase-change setups that not only had to deal with dust, but dust and condensation runoff that formed a very nasty slime that had to be cleaned off the compressor coils and heat exchange. At least I don't have to deal with that in my water cooled boxes.