coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
hi all
here is the situation, i am a first time overclock er and have been playing around trying to get to grips with how to obtain a stable overclock. my rig is

CPU E6600 Intel core2 Duo 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5B deluxe – wireless
RAM 2GB – 2x1GB MUSHKIN PC2-EM6400 5-5-5-12
VGA NEW Xpert Vision GeForce 8400GS 256MB PCIexpress Graphics Card
PSU NEW PSU Trust 570W Pro
Sound onboard
DVD and CD drives
Storage Hitachi 250GB

i have tried many different combination but no matter what i do i keep having the same problem, after the overclock (upped to 2.8ghz) when i push the power button all the lights come on, then go of. then the computer boots the second time round. When i change it back to default setting the problem is eliminated, so i am assuming that it is not a hardware problem. i have looked on the net and cant find any similar problems, so your help is much needed.

thans to all replies in advance

Your PSU is the problem. I've never heard of a Trust PSU, so I'm going to assume its tier 4 or higher. The sticker says 570W, but I doubt it can actually get that high.

Get a new PSU.

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
650W TX Corsair PSU, single 12V rail, energy efficient, quiet & cool, fully compatible, 5yr warranty

i am currently looking at this psu, it will be more than enough for hd 4870 oc'ing, and future proof, what do you recon

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
My rig will do the same if I make power changes in the bios and boot to windows. If I enable or disable the floppy in the bios and boot to windows this will happen one time and when I reboot it no longer will do it again,maybe some thing to do with windows power profile.

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
i tought that myself but i can overclcok and change the power setting to around 2.55ghz and it is ok, it is only when i go past this that the problem starts.

+ the comments sujest that it is the psu

thanks anyway