Last response: in Motherboards

Which MB, Asus or Gigabyte?

Total: 0 vote

• Asus Rampage Formula
  • 0 %
  • Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
  • 0 %
April 11, 2008 1:28:44 AM

I'm building a system for a 45nm Core 2 quad (Q9450). Want to OC to maybe 3.2G (400mhz FSB x 8)? Should I go with the Asus Rampage Formula or Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6? Usage will be no games, but a large desktop 2 1920x1200 monitors for 2D business graphics, and lot's of video editing and compression (hence the quad). Need decent audio for the latter. What do you think?

More about : rampage formula x48 dq6 45nm quad

April 11, 2008 2:36:38 AM

Get a P35 and be done with it. What on earth could you need with a pointless X48. If a P35 wont work with that CPU get an X38 but don't waste money on an X48 it's nothing more than an over priced X38 anyway.

I can't think of one good reason for anyone to buy this Chipset
April 11, 2008 3:55:35 AM

I am actually in the same boat to build up a similar system. I was looking at X48 boards myself since they seem to be the most bulletproof for these quad cores which require high FSBs. I personally am leaning towards the Rampage due to what looks to be better passive cooling (you have to take a lot of copper off the back of the DQ6 if you're putting any serious hsf on the cpu that requires a back plate). To me the only premium the DQ6 has is the second sata controller for a total of 8 ports vs the Rampage's 6. This should also allow you to set up the additional 2 ports as ESATA I think.

I'm still undecided btw these two. Both seem to be powerful contenders.
Related resources
April 11, 2008 5:18:24 AM

Overclocking stability is the biggest reason to get the X48. The chipset runs at lower voltages. For FSB of 400 you can do that on a P35 just so you know, but if you want an X48 to have the newest and the bestest, by all means go for it. Just realize they target people who want to push their FSB towards 500 and you pay quite a bit more for them (X38/X48) than the P35 boards. If you aren't going to push your FSB beyond what P35s can handle then you are paying a lot more for the same performance.

Sorry, I didn't vote. They are both excellent boards and since you don't care which one can OC better, it just depends on what colors you like the best. No but seriously, it depends on what features you like the best between the two.
April 11, 2008 6:37:19 AM

Go for Asus Rampage Formula
For overclocking it is the only motherboard with tRD unlocked
Also NB/SB run cooler
!