8800gt overheating

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Hi. I have an 8800gt 512mb xfx alpha dog edition factory overclocked to 640mhz. My temps have always been load 65c. Lately I've installed a seagate 160gb harddrive( for storage) and my temps on the gpu have gone up to 85c under load. My case is the thermaltake armor w/ the huge 25cm fan....any suggestions? I do not have any other fans except the 5 that came w/ the case. I didn't think adding a hard drive would add that much heat, but just in case I moved it from the front bottom of the case to the top rear just under the psu w/o change.

Other specs: q6600, xfx 680i sli, Etasis 850watt psu, 2 250gb seagates 7200rpm in raid 0( have always been located at front of case). Nothing is overclocked on my system except the factory overclocked gpu.

Thanks for your help.

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
OOPs. Also, I added an Audigy2 zs sound card a few days before adding the hard drive. However, I did not see an increase in temp till after the hard drive was added. Thanks again and any reply is greatly appreciated!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
You know those 8800GT single slot coolers have got to be the worst ever brought to market, they just don't do there job very well. I have recommended the 8800GTS over the 8800GT simply because of the cooler the 8800GT comes with, If I were you I would purchase an aftermarket cooler for your 8800GT. Whenever you add a new component to the system its going to block airflow, think of the sound card as a wall blocking airflow. A new cooler is the way to go if you plan on keeping it for about three years, my 8800GTX never breaks 68c fully loaded playing Crysis. Thats the cooler you would have gotton if you went for an 8800GTS. :)

I posted previously about these being rushed to market with the clock too high for a single slot solution.

Here in Australia a large number of them are failing and being returned.

Interesting that they were released at a time when the volume sales across the World were in line with cooler climates ... except just prior to Summer here.

You need a good aftermarket cooler for the card.

Checkout whatever Ice or Zalman or other cooler is available.

There is no denying they are a good card ... they just need better cooling.

Optimise your case flow by tidying up cables (spiral wrap?) and make sure the front and rear fans are sufficient.

Good luck.

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
What exact aftermarket cooler would u recommend? Sorry I'm pretty new to fans. I thought getting the Thermaltake armor w/ all the fans would save me the cost of a fan. Do u mean a vga fan? and if so, do those fans replace the fan already on the vga? If it did, I think it would void the warranty. I wasn't to worried about the overheating but I just found out to get the xfx lifetime warranty you had to register the product w/ in 30days...so that's a real bummer.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
you might try installing RivaTuner and increasing the fan speed. RivaTuner will also allow you to setup profiles so the fan will automatically spin faster or slower depending on temp.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Well now,,,,,raise 'puter off of floor,3-4in ,,
insert slow/medium speed rather largish,,,
fan/filter to front [inside??]bottom of case...

----OR-------
Get your hands on a Vantec icebergQ6 pro vga cooler or Artic Cooler type ,,,,
the idea to get the hot gpu air right out of the case,,,period... :D
Got the Vantec myself.. :wahoo:

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Well...I spoke to the tech srvce guy at xfx. I was happy that I could adjust the fan speeds and even overclock and the product would still be under warranty. He said as long as I don't get too extreme w/ it. He did say 85-87c was a lil too hot and preferbly should be below 80c. I then went into nvidia control panel and adjusted the fan speed to 88%, which made the fan a lil loud, but the temp cooled down. Playing w/ it I adjusted the fan speed to 50% and it's quiet. Temps playing crysis at 1680X1050 reso w/ no aa and everything on high are approx 66c. Nice... I do remember reading a review saying the xfx 8800gt fans were betr than other 8800gt's but I don't remember why( I think the fans bigger). Part of the problem w/ the overheating was that the automatic fan speed wasn't increasing when the card got hot..it was stuck at 29%. Manually adjusting it to 50% has done the trick...and I'm getting a pci slot cooler which should help a lil also...for $2.99 can't go wrong( about $9 after s&h & tax)... Thanks everyone for your help.

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Well, I got my slot cooler. It didn't lower my gpu temps any. I tried it in 3 different places w/o luck. Tried above/rt below vga, and in mid between sound card and vga...no luck, W/ my fan speed at 50% though, I'm load 66-68c. Is that cool enough, or should I get the zalman vf 900? That's about another 40bucks that could've been put towards a better card.