Every Motherboard Has Failed

halflife

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Here's the problem. I bought an EVGA 680i LT mobo for Newegg last month because it was priced just right and had many good reviews.

When I first got it, with everything hooked up, everything starts (fans, lights, HDD, CD/DVD burner), but my video will not post. Since then, I have tried multiple video cards, sticks of RAM, power supplies, CPUs, pulling the whole thing out of the case, pulling out the battery, clearing the CMOS, reseating everything, and having others scrutinize it for errors, plus everything EVGA phone support and the internet has to offer.

Nothing works; I get the same thing every time. Plus, I am sure all of the parts I am using are compatible with this board.

I RMA'd the board and the second one had the exact same problem. The next RMA's board was gaurenteed to work by EVGA engineers. No Dice, same problem.

I am getting desparate because I need this computer for work and cannot keep troubleshooting and RMAing parts at my own expense.

Unfortunately, the board does not have a speaker or screen to show if its posting or not, or if there's a problem, so I cannnot tell what's going on.

This is the third baord I've been through so you can see why im ****ed.

Please help,
~Darren

Rig:
-EVGA 680i LT mobo
-EVGA 8600GT
-2gigs Corsair XMS2 RAM
-Intel e6550
-WD 500GB Cavier HDD
-Rosewill 550W PS
-Creative SB Audigy SE
-Thermaltake Soprano case
-Vista Home Prem. 32-bit (not installed yet)

heres a pic of my system
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6543/dscn0913au5.jpg

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Make sure the standoffs and such are installed in the case correctly and it's not being grounded by contact with something its not supposed to touch. In addition, try moving the system to a different room/outlet/use a diff power cord. See if thats the problem.

Also, try a different monitor/cable.

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
He said he has tried multiple video cards.

Now you said you've tried multiple sticks of RAM as well. Were they the same brand? If so, perhaps the board is incompatible with the memory you are using?

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

He said he tried multiple power supplies.

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I'm sure you've made sure any PCI-E power cable for your graphics card is in place? Another possibility is your power button on the case. Have you tried powering on without using the case button, although one would assume that nothing would come on at all and fans wouldn't spin if the button was messed up. Again, try a different brand of RAM. Other than that I am kind of out of ideas. Anyways, post back when you get a chance.

halflife

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
update:
I am now using a brand new Cooler Master toughpower 750W PS.
I was using the rosewill because it was in my old system and worked fine.
However, I am getting the same results as in my original post.

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Quite the conundrum. If the motherboard is likely good, along with the PSU, that pretty much leaves an electrical problem or a RAM problem.

Dude, in your picture there is no black power cable headed up to your 12 v CPU aux header

If you have overlooked that then there is your problem right there. That would be too easy though wouldn't it? had to mention it though cause it isn't clear in the picture that there is a cord going there.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006

Judging from that picture, notherdude's right. If you compare the OP's picture with one of the motherboard, and you see where the cpu power is, it definitely looks like it's not plugged in.

halflife

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
it is in fact plugged in. u cant really see the cord and plug because they are both black and they blend in with the long black heat dissipator, plus the cord shoots off straight to the right behind the cpu cooler.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Well, crap.

Have you tried the RAM in a different computer? I mean, at this point, it's pretty safe to say that the motherboard isn't the issue. If you've ruled out the PSU by using a different one, that really leaves very few items, and the RAM is what I'm thinking. Try the sticks individually in different slots. Hopefully you'll get something. And even if you've tried it before, it can't hurt to try again. If you can, try some different RAM.

Good luck!

Damn. Well you're just gonna have to burn all your parts and start fresh.

Maybe try a bare bones setup - out of case, cpu/fan, 1 stick RAM, power, video and monitor (you did try a different monitor? yes, of course). Leave everything else out - no drives, no USB devices, nothing but bare bones! Now start testing and switching parts.

If you test every part and still no go you'll just have to try a different MOBO I guess.

Be sure to test with 1 stick of RAM only until you sort this out. And try a different brand. I know this has been suggested and tried but maybe try again. The problem as you have laid it out seems impossible so we have to hope you overlooked something in testing.

You might try with only one 4 plugged in. The extra four are not needed in ordinary systems. You can separate the plug into 2 fours. Not sure if that would stop you, probably not, but we are trying everything at this point.

halflife

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
im not gonna risk ripping apart my power plugs with this, that PS was way too expensive. I have tried it with a 4 pin. it started but im still not getting a post. im gonna talk to EVGA again when they get back to me and negotiate a freakin upgrade or something if they cant fix this. like is said, im desparate, and im ready to scream at whoever HR ******* i have to to get this fixed. i really appreciate your help though, and any other random suggestion is helpful.