atcbrownie

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I have built a new gaming pc and am having problems with it freezing during games (call of duty 4) here is my system info:

amd athlon x2 6400
asus crosshair mobo
4 (2x2gb) gb geil evo one ddr800 ram and 2gb (2x1gb) corsair xms2 ddr800 ram 6gb total
2x 8600gt
150gb western digital raptor x
BFG 800 watt PSU
asus silent square evo cpu cooler

I have also installed vista ultimate 64 bit version.

I have tried multiple operating systems including xp home, vista 32 bit and 64 bit and none fix the problem.

I have tried multiple hardware configs including only 2gb ram, 4gb ram, 1 gb ram, different hdd, 1 gpu, 2 gpu.
I originally thought that it was a mobo issue and rma'ed the mobo. I have also rma'ed the PSU and the issue continues. The cpu is not overheating it runs at about 33-36c idle and 40-43 load. I have ran memtest and have no errors. I am thinking that it is the PSU not providing enough amps on the 12v rail. So I have ordered a silverstone op1000 PSU with a single 12v rail which I hope will help. The only other issue that I could imagine that it would be is that the vid cards are overheating but they dont seem to be all that hot.

Most times the comp freezes and requires a hard restart before I can even fully load call of duty 4 and always freezes before 30 sec of game play. Any help is appreciated I have done all that I can think of and I hope the silverstone psu with single 12v rail will fix it. Also I was looking at my mobo book and it said that it recommended at least a 600w psu so maybe with that much ram and 2 vid cards and 6 fans that it gets overworked under a load. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Try updating your graphics card drives and see if that fixes the problem. Looking at that PSU, it seems fine as far as amps on the rails are concerned for the 8600. Going to a higher end card would give you problems but it should be fine.

EDIT: Actually, after looking into it a little bit more, you might be pushing it. Powerful single rails are definitely the way to go. I'm betting the new PSU will fix your problem.

atcbrownie

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I have the current drivers for every piece of hardware in this thing. I assume that it must be the psu b/c I only have issues under a large load. I hope the PSU fixes the problem.