Sign in with
Your question

Lifesavings down the drain.

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2008 2:37:47 AM

Hi All,

First of all, pardon my spelling, as I've been working on this problem for a while now.
After saving for a year or so (stuff like rent kept popping up) I've just bought myself a new pc:

Intel Core 2 Quad
Asus 780i Mobo
2Gb OCz Ram.
XFX 8800 GT
SATAII HDDs
SATA DVDRW
Coolermaster Sli PSU

I have the most peculiar problem.
When I look on the Bios it shows my new SATAII 500Gb hard drive all fine, then afterwards, flashes up with 'no harddrive detected'

However, it then lets me onto the windows install, but has the wrong HDD details before you install nd freezes during an install.

I do have a SATA DVD drive which might cause some trouble.
I've built 10 - 20 pc's before so im not a total novice but this is my first total SATA Boot/Build, and I couldnt find any troubleshooters or advice on what the problem actually was. Personally I think it might be a faulty mobo, though i hope not.

Any help would be grateful.

Regards.
Ant

More about : lifesavings drain

February 22, 2008 3:10:57 AM

How many SATA II HDD's do you have? Your SATA drives might be configured incorrectly in the BIOS.
February 22, 2008 3:15:21 AM

I only plugged one in, just to install OS.

I've also tried combinations of using:
SATA HDD, SATA DVD
SATA HDD, IDE DVD
IDE HDD, SATA DVD
And IDE both,

to no avail.
Related resources
February 22, 2008 3:28:38 AM

Make sure you are plugged into the right sata port. Check your manual.
Swap Sata Cables.
Did you plug power in as well?
Make sure its set to IDE in bios and not "SATA, ACHI, or RAID."
February 22, 2008 3:48:51 AM

Ive decided to stick with trying the SATA HDD (as its a brand new samsung spinpoint which i've only ever seen positive feedback for) and my (older) IDE DVDRW which I know definately works.
RAID is Disabled, read through manual like 5 times and its all like it should be.

Boot is from CDROM as im trying to install from CD,
HDD plugged in SATA port 1, is recognised in BIOS, but because of ASUS silly splash screen I only catch the end of POST, which tells me 'Hard Disk Drive not Detected', even though its detected in BIOS a few seconds earlier.

Like I say, it will boot and even start to install on the disk but it freezes often when you reboot mid-install.
But that happens using different HDDs, not just SATA.
February 22, 2008 4:03:58 AM

Turn that splash screen off, and then find out if you have to install a driver for the mother board, although having to do that is old, but hey, id at least check it out. My old asus p4 board i used to have to install a driver in order for it to recognize my sata drive, i had to hit f6 during install of xp, when its loading and it asks you in the bottom, anyhow id at least check it out, although you really shouldnt have to.
February 22, 2008 4:07:38 AM

i assume you are using xp because i think ACHI mode is supported by vista. but in order for xp to see your SATA drives you need to set the raid option in the bios to IDE mode, otherwise xp will not see it.
February 22, 2008 4:21:24 AM

budlite1bb: Yes, I'm using XP. My only raid options are (Enable) or (Disable), however, it still tells me 'no hdd detected' if im using a IDE hdd.

blacksci: Tried turning the splash screen off, and monitor does like 3 screen resolution changes instead which means i still can't see it. I wouldn't have thought i needed a seperate driver as its a new board, and doesnt mention anywhere in the documentation.

oh, btw, thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

February 22, 2008 4:23:27 AM

Hardly a "life savings down the drain" story
I thought ur house burned down and u didnt have insurance... that would have been teh suxxor.

Check bios startup drive etc, and try different sata ports. I hope u get it fixed, but toughen up princess... its just a PC :p 
February 22, 2008 4:26:28 AM

maybe a slight exaggeration but I've been waiting for the Mobo to arrive for like 2 months.
All my hopes and dreams have been ... nah your right, slight exaggeration.

thanks.
February 22, 2008 4:41:49 AM

Np chief

Why dont u just cheat....
Call up a busy pc shop and say...

"Hi, my name is Joe, i bought a

Intel Core 2 Quad
Asus 780i Mobo
2Gb OCz Ram.
XFX 8800 GT
SATAII HDDs
SATA DVDRW
Coolermaster Sli PSU

system from u the other week. Ive been away and have only just had a chance to look at it and i cant [insert problem here]
Any quick advice you could give me before i bring it in?"

There must be at least a dozen shops u can try this with
:D 
February 22, 2008 4:54:13 AM

Turn off the splash screen in your bios.
Then plug your hard drive into the first sata port and set it up to be the boot drive in your bios.
To get to bios turn on the computer and hit the del key on your ketboard.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.
February 22, 2008 5:05:43 AM

Clear Cmos?
February 22, 2008 5:17:02 AM

True battou, i have seen and heard from people that when they had issues with a new board, they took out there cmos battery, let it sit without it for a minute, then plug it back in a presto, its working, just make sure to unplug your comp before you do this, or it may fry your board.
February 22, 2008 5:43:54 AM

Fdisk the hard drive
February 22, 2008 5:53:33 AM

No quotes because you have given us a rather garbled explaination of what is wrong!! Also I don't have this motherboard so don't blame me if this solution doesn't work!!

If your SATA drive is recognised during POST but not by Windows then it just means Windows XP does not have a builtin driver for your motherboard Host Controller. As other people have stated you can get round this in a number of ways. Go into your BIOS and make sure RAID is disabled. Double check their is no emulation mode for the SATA controller where the ports can be mapped into IDE channels (fools the OS that it is just seeing old style IDE devices).

Download the non-Raid SATA host controller for you motherboard (will be on the MB CD or ASUS website). Then either put the text-mode portion on a floppy disk and press F6 early on when installing Windows XP when the option shows at the bottom of the screen to install RAID drivers, put in the floppy disk with text-mode host controller driver.

The alternative is to slip-stream the driver using a program like nLite (which is freeware). This is easy to do. Just copy all the files off your Windows XP Pro disk into a folder. Point nLite at the folder. Just check the options in the main menu to integrate drivers and burn an ISO. Install from the disk you burn. I am presuming of course you have a spare machine/laptop to do this on!!

Bob

February 22, 2008 11:31:43 AM

The point was that the HDD is detected if you look on the BIOS, but NOT during POST.
Even if I used an IDE drive. Its not being recognised if you go past the BIOS.

I've neer used nLite before but i may as well give it a go.
Thanks, I'll let you know.

February 22, 2008 11:42:20 AM

oh, i also know its not a HDD problem, tested them all this morning on a mates PC, all were recognised and functioned fine.
February 22, 2008 11:59:47 AM

Another thing,
Just to clear it up, its not a windows problem as it tells me that no device is detected Pre-boot.
February 22, 2008 12:10:55 PM

yeah, this is hardly a Life Savings down the drain story... I was expecting a Yorkfield underneath a Tuniq Tower in a $300 case with a 1200w PSU running triple 8800Ultras in SLI.

are you sure it's the first SATA port? normally, IDE/SCSI/SATA channels go 0/1/2/etc so you should be using SATA0. there should also be a setting for SATA in Legacy mode. I actually wound up installing vista under this mode and went without a hitch, but i switched to native SATA and it stopped booting. it did, however, let me run AHCI which is what i wanted anyway.

can you get the SATA drive to work on the IDE channel? I have an idea you could try. Boot the system with the SATA as the master IDE drive, and the CD/DVD as the slave. boot into the XP setup with the disc and F6 to install your SATA mobo drivers. once those are loaded, you should be able to swap it back over to the SATA channel and continue the XP setup. if not, let it completely setup over on the IDE channel then swap.

another possibility is that you just have a bad mobo. it happens. doesnt mean the mobo/company/chipset is crap. you're installing a 2002 OS to an almost 2008 mobo.

last possibility. the mobo needs to be reflashed. I had a terrible time with my old i875p board where after a power outage, i thought my chip was fried, and i wasnt going to drop my pants for a new system yet, so, in late 2006 i managed to find a 3.0GHz Prescott 478 that Microcenter sold me off their techbench. i got it home to find it wasnt working either. reflashed the BIOS, bam, everything's fine.
February 22, 2008 1:02:18 PM

I have many Asus boards. The one I'm now has SATA only running in IDE mode. When I post it says no Hard Drive Detected. It says that because I didn't disable my IDE controller and there is nothing attached to it. So there is no problem there. It says that because it dont se one one the IDE controller. When you use IDE and no Sata it will say it if none is detected on the SATA as well.

I didn't realize you were on XP before. You need to get the SATA drivers on a floppy or a USB thumb drive. When Windows starts to load you have to hit F6 to load the drivers for your HDD. If you use a IDE HDD you wont need to. If you have trouble with an IDE drive its because your jumpers.

It sounds to me like you dont fully understand and you should take it to a shop. I'm sure they will only charge $50 or less to get you goin.
February 22, 2008 2:00:02 PM

cfvh600 said:
How many SATA II HDD's do you have? Your SATA drives might be configured incorrectly in the BIOS.

I agree, check it out. Also, while installing windows, use a floppy or slipstream the F6 drivers for your storage controller (intel/nvidia). good luck
February 22, 2008 2:26:52 PM

Serj: Its plugged in SATA1 (mobo has Sata1, 2 etc to 6, no SATA0 which I also thought was unusual). I don't get the option to choose SATA mode, ie Legacy, only options are to Enable RAID or not.
It tells me no HDD detected if I use either IDE Drive or SATA Drive. I have tried using both.

Roadrunner:I am using my IDE DVD Drive as it is more reliable (had it longer) so cant disable, still get messages.
I have tried using the on-Disk drivers on a floppy and it doesn't change a thing. Still Freezes during windows installation with no drives detected.
I still get this problem installing onto an IDE Drive, I have tried every SATA/IDE configuration I'm able to do above.

gwolfman: I have been running only 1 of the 4 I own, just to install OS originally.

I'll keep trying over the weekend, hopefully I'll make some progress.

Thanks for all the help btw, i've been able to try thiings I hadn't used before
February 22, 2008 2:27:53 PM

Oh, and I like the fact ebuyer have stopped selling the board since i bought it.
February 22, 2008 5:29:19 PM

I have heard alot of bad stuff about Asus. DOA p5k boards, cust svc trying to say a short on the PS/2 port was a keyboard and not a northbridge issue (even though the same thing happens with other kbs, and the original works fine on another system)

Anyway, try reflashing the board's BIOS. if that doesnt work, my final suggestion is to install XP on the drive through another system, yank the IDE/NB/SB/pcisys driver files, replace with the SATA drivers, and shut it down. Then try booting it on the new PC. outside of that, i have a question for you. are you using an OEM disc or Burned XP install media? My P4 build did the same thing and i just said 'screw it' and installed 2k....that was an option back in 03, anyway.
February 22, 2008 6:21:40 PM

I realize that you have dismissed the driver issue a few times (Press F6 to install third party drivers....) however the symptoms you are experiencing do allign with this issue. Before pulling your hair out, you should proceed with getting the crontroller's drivers to install correctly during the initiation install phase.

It is very possible that you are misinterpretting the 'no harddrive detected' message as you stated you cannot view the whole post process. It may be related to the raid controller being set to not enable raid and it not finding drives or something similar.

Give the driver install a whirl as a few have suggested, nothing to lose but a floppy disk and a couple minutes of your time.
February 22, 2008 6:35:17 PM

I know that the new Asus P5K boards does this also. If you plug in a SATA HD into the "non-bootable" SATA port it will also say "IDE HDD not dectected", even if you don't have any IDE HD. To fix it you'll have to plug your HD into the "Bootable SATA" port.

For Asus the bootable are color RED while the non-boot are BLACK.

ROG's are mostly BLUE, so you'll have to check your manual to see which are the bootable ones.

As for your board, see if there is something like that. Check your manual
February 22, 2008 7:30:03 PM

Wow. this is sad, noone seems to say one thing....DRIVER. If the xp you are installing does NOT reconize the sata controllers, guess what is going to bappen?
If it's a new sata controller, try using drivers for it by floppy see if that correct it. If that still causes error (and hd is set to ACHI mode), then it just might be motherboard issue - as one person said.
February 22, 2008 7:38:49 PM

happened to me... Went Vista :( 
February 22, 2008 7:45:14 PM

computertech82 said:
Wow. this is sad, noone seems to say one thing....DRIVER. If the xp you are installing does NOT reconize the sata controllers, guess what is going to bappen?
If it's a new sata controller, try using drivers for it by floppy see if that correct it. If that still causes error (and hd is set to ACHI mode), then it just might be motherboard issue - as one person said.

Learn to read. Driver has been mentioned.

OP/ Every time you try a different combo reset the cmos. Very important. Also it is very possible you got bunk SATA cables. Get some different ones.
February 22, 2008 8:03:38 PM

Indeed, there is like 6 comments of possible driver issues in this thread. Do you not read the previous posts to a persons thread before you stick your foot in your mouth ?
February 23, 2008 10:28:23 AM

On the drivers issue.

I stated in my second to last post that I'd tried that suggestion and the same thing was happening.
The only reson I dismissed it was the fact that when trying to boot using the IDE DVDRW and HDD the same error occurred. I just thought that it wasnt then due to SATA.

Busy reading through the manual now, though I've not read anything about bootable, and non-b ports. They're all same colour, though I'm re-checking now.

amd_fanboi: yeah, my flat mate did the same.
February 23, 2008 3:45:32 PM

atotti2000 said:
On the drivers issue.

I stated in my second to last post that I'd tried that suggestion and the same thing was happening.
The only reson I dismissed it was the fact that when trying to boot using the IDE DVDRW and HDD the same error occurred. I just thought that it wasnt then due to SATA.

Busy reading through the manual now, though I've not read anything about bootable, and non-b ports. They're all same colour, though I'm re-checking now.

amd_fanboi: yeah, my flat mate did the same.

In my opinion Nvidia chipsets are usually a little flaky. I have had similar problems with them before. Have you tried changing the HD setting from AUTO to LBA? Sorry if someone already suggested this, as I didn't read every post.
February 23, 2008 3:46:24 PM

you mentioned earlier that your hdd and such worked in a mates comp....
Find out what board that is and toss this one and buy the same board your mate has....

probably just a bad board.
February 24, 2008 9:36:11 PM

Bobwya: I'm on about the P5N-T, I'm just poor.

vtr99: Thanks, I've already tried that unfortunately

Johnnyq1233: He's also got an ASUS mobo so i might keep away from them for the moment.
February 24, 2008 10:09:20 PM

@OP: Check to see if "AHCI" or some thing like this is "Enabled" if so "Disable" it and try again. I had the same problem with a P35-DS3R a while back. Also try running SeaTools/ SeaTools DOS ( if it is a Seagate,or smiler depending on manufacture) if SeaTools/SeaTools DOS sees the drive then there is a problem with the motherboard. If it sees the HDD run a error scan,etc.
February 24, 2008 11:25:56 PM

clear CMOS, look for jumpers, RMA mobo, get Vista. in that order.
February 25, 2008 8:39:40 AM

Hi atotti2000

I've checked the manual for your motherboard and the available drivers.

What version of Windows XP are you trying to install (a version with SP3 slipstreamed would be good!!) :hello: 

So lets do the checks right. You have RAID turned off completely in the main BIOS. You can see the SATA HD in the BIOS but Windows does not
detect the SATA HD to install on. Right?

Way not trying enabling RAID in the BIOS. Don't set up any RAID sets in the seperate nVidia SATA BIOS. Then use the text-mode drivers for Windows XP i386 that ASUS provide for you MB on floppy. Press F6 when starting up Windows and use the drivers on the floppy.

If the RAID setup works then you either need to use a newer version of Windows or hassle ASUS / google for the Marvell Chipset non host-RAID drivers for your SATA controller!! In fact the ASUS forums might be a better place for your questions as you appear to be attracting the usual idiots on the THG forums (reference previous post)...

Bob

P.S. I know the SATA controller is Marvell chipset by looking at the RAID SATA drivers that ASUS provide.
February 25, 2008 10:06:33 AM

if all of this stuff doesnt work just test the hd in another pc and if it doesnt work rma it
February 25, 2008 10:51:47 PM

Bobwya:

Hehe, you've just ran through the process that i've just done.
For a second I thought it had worked, but again the hard drive was incorrectly detected by POST and Windows.
I've even been onto ASUS but their problems page is the only page on the site down.
I'm going to play around tomorrow, but otherwise i'm going to send it back. get the eVGA similar one.

I've gone off ASUS a bit.
February 26, 2008 12:22:26 AM

^ Did you try upgrading/reflashing the BIOS?
February 26, 2008 12:23:04 AM

Yeh,

That ASUS board sounds very flakey!! Either Windows has the non host RAID Marvel SATA drivers integrated since SP1a or they should have them available in their download list!!

Did you have a little poke in the RAID BIOS at POST... Like can you set up a JBOD of 1 HD perhaps?? Otherwise it may be considered unassigned by the SATA chipset...

I would just request an RMA for the board. ASUS need to be given a kick up the arse to make their boards more user friendly...

As for EVGA everyone says they are great but you look on New-Egg reviews, etc. and their support (certainly in the USA) is not all its cracked up to be!!
I am a big fan boi of DFI and their support really is good... Just helped my flatmate setup their old RDX200 socket 939 board... Sweet... 2.8Ghz overclock on a 1.8Ghz Opteron 165 at stock voltages for RAM+CPU with a stock Opteron (heatpipe) cooler. Just got to bring the RAM multiplier up from 1:2 to 2:3 to raise the DDR RAM to 200Mhz (and hopefully keep the 2-2-2-6 timings and 1T command rate!!) with a better PSU and some more volts!!

Whats the big shakes with the Nvidia board anyway? Are you planning an SLI setup? Otherwise I would just stick with an Intel-chipset board.

Bob
February 26, 2008 2:42:36 PM

I'd chosen the 780i chip mainly so that i could SLi at ome time in the future, i,e about 12 months. It seemed like a good way to upgrade with minimal effort.
Plus it also came with the PCI-E 2.0 which sounded good.

And my OCz Ram aparenlty has something to do with Nvidia which apperently runs faster on Nvid Chipsets.
February 26, 2008 3:06:13 PM

mrmez said:
Np chief

Why dont u just cheat....
Call up a busy pc shop and say...

"Hi, my name is Joe, i bought a

Intel Core 2 Quad
Asus 780i Mobo
2Gb OCz Ram.
XFX 8800 GT
SATAII HDDs
SATA DVDRW
Coolermaster Sli PSU

system from u the other week. Ive been away and have only just had a chance to look at it and i cant [insert problem here]
Any quick advice you could give me before i bring it in?"

There must be at least a dozen shops u can try this with
:D 

Have you ever called any of those places? Or tired to get help from someone at like FRYs or something like that? I swear they hire the stupidest people... They rarly know more than the 105 year old grandma standing next to you..
February 26, 2008 3:29:01 PM

Being that this is a really new board, it is compleatly possible that the ata controller drivers are not on the install cd as well..
February 26, 2008 3:47:11 PM

atotti2000 said:
I'd chosen the 780i chip mainly so that i could SLi at ome time in the future, i,e about 12 months. It seemed like a good way to upgrade with minimal effort.
Plus it also came with the PCI-E 2.0 which sounded good.

And my OCz Ram aparenlty has something to do with Nvidia which apperently runs faster on Nvid Chipsets.

Hi

My most recent motherboard RMA was actually an old Tyan Opteron board. I actually think in hindsight the problem was a cracked MOSFet on my graphics card (I don't want to discuss that - lets just say it wasn't a X1550!!) Just before anyone comments I didn't have a spare PCIe graphics card to test at the time!! I had bought the board from the US and for some reason (I never normally bother) I paid for 1 years warranty... Unfortunately delays due to watercooling the lot (i.e. fear of water pouring all over electrical stuff) left the board about 2 months out of warranty. However a couple of minutes work in Photoshop on a scanned in copy of the receipt and the board was good to go back to Tyan (in Europe thankfully)!!

Take advantage of the excellent warranty services we have here in the UK (compared to the USA - things are only cheaper there for that reason) and kick some ASUS butt!! The more you fart about this forum the longer you have to wait for a working system and your warranty clock continues to tick down!!

Consumer POWER!!

Bob

February 26, 2008 4:52:35 PM

Thanks Bob,

I'll get their local number, dont fany the xtreme rates number.
February 26, 2008 7:26:31 PM

atotti2000 said:
Thanks Bob,

I'll get their local number, dont fany the xtreme rates number.

I would try email'ing ASUS first. In fact when I tried phoning Samsung recently I was told to email them instead to RMA a few ODDs!! Everyone wants us to switch to electronic forms of communication I guess!!

Bob

February 27, 2008 2:29:41 AM

Yeah, the only problem I have with that is I tend to create a bigger fuss on the phone. he he
!