Vivendi Games Lays Off 350, To Close Sierra Offices

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2004 4:45:23 PM

Posted on Slashdot:
http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...

The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
i'm hoping not. :(
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:59:41 PM

"Ratz2010" <nospam@all.com> wrote in message
news:D RVBc.62175$Np3.2881275@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> Posted on Slashdot:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...

> The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
> i'm hoping not. :(

Well, how many employees would it take to maintain a server?
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:08:09 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:45:23 GMT, Ratz2010 <nospam@all.com> wrote:

>Posted on Slashdot:
>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...
>
>The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
>i'm hoping not. :(

Tribes 1 & 2 master servers ?? Is no one seeing the bigger news here
? This from the CNN site >

The company on Monday informed workers at its Bellevue, Wash. studios
that the office would close within two months. In addition to the
layoffs, the shutdown will result in the cancellation of card and
puzzle video games based on the Hoyle license, one unannounced title
and the "Print Artist" line of card, banner and stationary creation
software.

<

The one unannounced title could very well be our new "Tribes" game.

MadurA
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:08:10 PM

"MadurA" <cipher@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:45:23 GMT, Ratz2010 <nospam@all.com> wrote:
>
> >Posted on Slashdot:
>
>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...
206

> >The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
> >i'm hoping not. :(
>
> Tribes 1 & 2 master servers ?? Is no one seeing the bigger news here
> ? This from the CNN site >
>
> The company on Monday informed workers at its Bellevue, Wash. studios
> that the office would close within two months. In addition to the
> layoffs, the shutdown will result in the cancellation of card and
> puzzle video games based on the Hoyle license, one unannounced title
> and the "Print Artist" line of card, banner and stationary creation
> software.
>
> <
>
> The one unannounced title could very well be our new "Tribes" game.

From Vengence forums:

Tribes: Vengeance is being developed by Irrational Games, an independent
company whose game is being published by Vivendi-Universal. The layoffs
(wow, that many?) seem to be inside the Vivendi-Universal conglomerate
itself. In other words, no, it does not affect the team.

Adam Kahn says: No change. I can say that development of T:V is unaffected.
Chris [Thrax] is still working, Patrick [Marketing] is still working and I'm
still working. Irrational certainly is still working."

Quixote
June 23, 2004 5:01:06 AM

Quixote wrote:
> "MadurA" <cipher@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:45:23 GMT, Ratz2010 <nospam@all.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Posted on Slashdot:
>>
>> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...
>> 206
>>>
>>> The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
>>> i'm hoping not. :(
>>
>> Tribes 1 & 2 master servers ?? Is no one seeing the bigger news here
>> ? This from the CNN site >
>>
>> The company on Monday informed workers at its Bellevue, Wash. studios
>> that the office would close within two months. In addition to the
>> layoffs, the shutdown will result in the cancellation of card and
>> puzzle video games based on the Hoyle license, one unannounced title
>> and the "Print Artist" line of card, banner and stationary creation
>> software.
>>
>> <
>>
>> The one unannounced title could very well be our new "Tribes" game.
>>

> From Vengence forums:
>
> Tribes: Vengeance is being developed by Irrational Games, an
> independent company whose game is being published by
> Vivendi-Universal. The layoffs (wow, that many?) seem to be inside
> the Vivendi-Universal conglomerate itself. In other words, no, it
> does not affect the team.
>
> Adam Kahn says: No change. I can say that development of T:V is
> unaffected. Chris [Thrax] is still working, Patrick [Marketing] is
> still working and I'm still working. Irrational certainly is still
> working."
>
> Quixote

Yes, but who will publish the game now? Is Irrational set up to
do their own publishing & marketing?

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:23:04 PM

"MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
> Ratz2010 wrote:
> > Posted on Slashdot:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...

> > The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
> > i'm hoping not. :(
> >
> How Ironic!
>
> I did this in May, 2003. Remember "Dynamix?"
>
> http://home.ncn.com/%7Ebmonson/tnnn/jobless.htm
>
> --
> ClayPidgeon

I'm still you have that up. :p

Icy
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:33:47 PM

IcyHot wrote:

> "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Ratz2010 wrote:
>>
>>>Posted on Slashdot:
>>>

> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/06/22/0036245.shtml?...
>

>>>The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
>>>i'm hoping not. :(
>>>

>>How Ironic!
>>
>>I did this in May, 2003. Remember "Dynamix?"
>>
>>http://home.ncn.com/%7Ebmonson/tnnn/jobless.htm
>>
>>--
>>ClayPidgeon
>>

> I'm still you have that up. :p

The more things change...
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 7:42:05 PM

Adrian Ng wrote:

> "Ratz2010" <nospam@all.com> wrote in message
> news:D RVBc.62175$Np3.2881275@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>
>>The end of the tribes(1&2) master servers?
>>i'm hoping not. :(
>
> Well, how many employees would it take to maintain a server?

Two:
One to furiously post messages of apology to various boards, newsgroups
and website, and one to peddle on the hometrainer/generator after the
power's been cut by Vivendi.

Hmm, I prefer the lightbulb kind.
--
Frank
Anonymous

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Quixote wrote:
>
>>From Vengence forums:
>>
>>Tribes: Vengeance is being developed by Irrational Games, an
>>independent company whose game is being published by
>>Vivendi-Universal. The layoffs (wow, that many?) seem to be inside
>>the Vivendi-Universal conglomerate itself. In other words, no, it
>>does not affect the team.
>>
>>Adam Kahn says: No change. I can say that development of T:V is
>>unaffected. Chris [Thrax] is still working, Patrick [Marketing] is
>>still working and I'm still working. Irrational certainly is still
>>working."
>>

> Yes, but who will publish the game now? Is Irrational set up to
> do their own publishing & marketing?

I would assume Vivendi Universal will publish this themselves.
From the above quote, I'd say that Irrational Games is doing
work-for-hire, so Vivendi would own the rights. They could shitcan it
even after the gold master is ready, so to speak.

--
Frank
Anonymous

Adrian Ng wrote:
> but isn't it kinda boring after a while?
>
> watching 'flamewars' i mean.

Flamewars? I haven't seen one since Cory Dunkle left.

And there one side was so poorly armed, it was the equivalent of one
side rolling in the heavy artillery and readying global thermonuclear
war, and the other side having foul language, obscene gestures and these
sticks they found in the garden.

--
Frank
Anonymous

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:48:22 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Adrian Ng wrote:
>> but isn't it kinda boring after a while?
>>
>> watching 'flamewars' i mean.
>
>Flamewars? I haven't seen one since Cory Dunkle left.
>
>And there one side was so poorly armed, it was the equivalent of one
>side rolling in the heavy artillery and readying global thermonuclear
>war, and the other side having foul language, obscene gestures and these
>sticks they found in the garden.

There wont be a flamewar this time either... It would end up being
pretty one sided anyhow... I don't debate with children and that one
is already in my killfile... lol

MadurA
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 7:48:23 PM

Frank van Schie wrote:

> Adrian Ng wrote:
>
>> but isn't it kinda boring after a while?
>>
>> watching 'flamewars' i mean.
>

> Flamewars? I haven't seen one since Cory Dunkle left.

Maybe time to pull a few out of the archives.. You know, for posterity's
sake! :)
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 9:42:05 PM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:35:22 -0400, Polarhound wrote:

> Maybe time to pull a few out of the archives.. You know, for posterity's
> sake! :)

As you wish:
http://www.geocities.com/moreduffstuff/html/corky.htm

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

MadurA wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:48:22 +0200, Frank van Schie
> <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:
>
>>And there one side was so poorly armed, it was the equivalent of one
>>side rolling in the heavy artillery and readying global thermonuclear
>>war, and the other side having foul language, obscene gestures and these
>>sticks they found in the garden.
>
> There wont be a flamewar this time either... It would end up being
> pretty one sided anyhow... I don't debate with children and that one
> is already in my killfile... lol

Not only does DEbig3 (almost) always speak like that in this group,
which you might've known, he was very much correct, where you were wrong.

--
Frank
June 24, 2004 3:06:23 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:33:47 -0400, Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote:

> The more things change...

The less they stay the same?

--
Troy
Anonymous

Polarhound's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Frank van Schie wrote:
>> Adrian Ng wrote:
>>> but isn't it kinda boring after a while?
>>> watching 'flamewars' i mean.
>> Flamewars? I haven't seen one since Cory Dunkle left.
> Maybe time to pull a few out of the archives.. You know, for posterity's
> sake! :)

Things have changed greatly since I was first here. SL83, Zagadka, and the
others were always flaming eachother.

DONGLE!!!
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 5:54:37 PM

Hellmark wrote:
> Polarhound's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>
>>Frank van Schie wrote:

>>>Flamewars? I haven't seen one since Cory Dunkle left.
>>
>>Maybe time to pull a few out of the archives.. You know, for posterity's
>>sake! :)
>

> Things have changed greatly since I was first here. SL83, Zagadka, and the
> others were always flaming eachother.
>
> DONGLE!!!

Oh no.... nooooo... anything but the DONGLE!

God those were the good ol' days.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:21:12 PM

Polarhound's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Hellmark wrote:
>> Polarhound's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
>> Things have changed greatly since I was first here. SL83, Zagadka, and the
>> others were always flaming eachother.
>> DONGLE!!!
> Oh no.... nooooo... anything but the DONGLE!
> God those were the good ol' days.

I really do miss the Tribes 1 days around here.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 3:58:53 AM

Hellmark wrote:

> Things have changed greatly since I was first here. SL83, Zagadka, and the
> others were always flaming eachother.
>
> DONGLE!!!

Now, we're all happy sappy friends, with grouphugs and campfires,
singing Kumbayah and tearing *strangers* to bloody shreds.

--
Frank
Anonymous

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:58:53 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> Now, we're all happy sappy friends

Hmmph.

> , with grouphugs

No tongues!

> and campfires

Since the barbecue was built, it's done nowt round here but rain. :(

> , singing Kumbayah

Hmm.

> and tearing *strangers* to bloody shreds.

.... and generally laughing at each other. :)

--
!