Upgrade from 4 GB to 8 GB in Vista 64 causes Blue Screen

Hey all,

Well, I just got a few more sticks of RAM and I was hoping to upgrade my PC to the max RAM capacity of 8GB. I have Vista 64 Home Premium. Once I installed the RAM, the system started up fine and recognized all 8GB. Then, it started freezing after a few minutes of uptime and then it started Blue Screening regularly. I've taken out the 4 GB I added and the PC works like a charm. For some reason, I'm not able to get 8GB in there without my computer freezing or BSODing at start up.

Any ideas? I haven't ran any Memtest86 tests yet, 'cause I wanted to see if there was a hotfix or something out there that could solve the problem easier or if someone else was having similar problems.

The computer starts up fine in Safe Mode with the 8GB and I have yet to have it crash in Safe Mode with the RAM installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cam
26 answers Last reply
More about upgrade vista blue screen
  1. camnipotent said:
    Hey all,

Well, I just got a few more sticks of RAM and I was hoping to upgrade my PC to the max RAM capacity of 8GB. I have Vista 64 Home Premium. Once I installed the RAM, the system started up fine and recognized all 8GB. Then, it started freezing after a few minutes of uptime and then it started Blue Screening regularly. I've taken out the 4 GB I added and the PC works like a charm. For some reason, I'm not able to get 8GB in there without my computer freezing or BSODing at start up.

Any ideas? I haven't ran any Memtest86 tests yet, 'cause I wanted to see if there was a hotfix or something out there that could solve the problem easier or if someone else was having similar problems.

The computer starts up fine in Safe Mode with the 8GB and I have yet to have it crash in Safe Mode with the RAM installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cam

Is the new memory identical to the old memory?

Best,

3Ball
  2. Yep. It's exactly the same. I've read on some forums that you might have to increase the voltage to 1.9, but I'd rather not mess with that if I don't have to. My BIOS is from August 2007. Do you think I need to update that?
  3. camnipotent said:
    Yep. It's exactly the same. I've read on some forums that you might have to increase the voltage to 1.9, but I'd rather not mess with that if I don't have to. My BIOS is from August 2007. Do you think I need to update that?

What is the rated voltage of the memory? I have to run 2.1v to stabilize all 4gb of my memory.

Best,

3Ball
  4. You first need to run Memtest to find out if any of the new memory is bad. If not then try raising the voltage by a step. Would also help if you listed your system, so we could see what you have to be working with.
  5. Sure thing:

Antec 900 Case
    Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe 3.0 Ghz
    nVidia nForce 650i P5N - E SLI mobo
    4 GB A-Data DDR2 800 Ram (PC2 6400)
    500 GB HD
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    Asus DVD Burner with Lightscribe
    750W Cooler Master Real Power Pro
    22" Widescreen Dell Monitor

I will probably have to run Memtest86 to figure out if my RAM's faulty.

Would a voltage like that potentially ruin my RAM, or am I being to cautious?
  6. camnipotent said:
    Sure thing:

Antec 900 Case
    Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe 3.0 Ghz
    nVidia nForce 650i P5N - E SLI mobo
    4 GB A-Data DDR2 800 Ram (PC2 6400)
    500 GB HD
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    Asus DVD Burner with Lightscribe
    750W Cooler Master Real Power Pro
    22" Widescreen Dell Monitor

I will probably have to run Memtest86 to figure out if my RAM's faulty.

Would a voltage like that potentially ruin my RAM, or am I being to cautious?

You are being to cautions. DDR2 memory is safe up to 2.2v for regular use. I usually recommend 2.2v as the max. I still try to avoid the max if I can, but alas it is still within the realm of safety.

Best,

3Ball
  7. Update the bios, if that don't fix it try upping the voltage a little.
  8. Any idea how I can upgrade a BIOS if I don't have a floppy on my tower? I have a flash drive...would that work? Also, what's the safest way to up the voltage? Should I go through nVidia's management software, or through the BIOS? Thanks again!
  9. You can use an USB flash device yes, wat BIOS Revision are u running at the mo?

Adjust the voltages in the BIOS, i always make those type of changes in the BIOS its very simply to do.

I'd up the Volts to 1.92 first and see wats happens, as your using all 4 banks you'll need the extra volts i wud think.
  10. You know, A-data is an extremely cheap brand..
    To my experience they're not that good quality, receiving broken sticks isn't unusual. Not sure about their warranties, but Corsair for instance has a lifetime warranty.

With ram being so cheap it is these days, branded memory isn't even a 1$ premium, especially not at low speeds.

First test you can try is finding memory settings and raising values slightly, and using 2T for the memory banks.
    However, the usual tests consist of memtesting each and every stick of ram, and start with the new kit.
  11. Most corsair ram at 800mhz tend to use 1.9v, and some A-data are branded 1.85v

Your motherboard probably isn't giving them enough, assuming they're not defective.
  12. Try running memtest on the 2nd set of RAM alone. If it it goes well, I would try upping the voltage of the RAM and perhaps northbrige (littlest step possible).

Did you overclock the RAM or tweak timing in any way?
  13. Shoot. I did a boat load of research before I built my computer and I was under the impression that my A-Data was pretty decent RAM (I know it's not the best, but I also thought it was not the cheapest).

I haven't done anything to the RAM as far as OCing or timing is concerned. It's all at the stock settings.

I'm going to run the memtest tonight and I'm hoping the 2nd set of RAM passes everything.

How would I go about tweaking the northbridge? I'm a bit new to the hardware side of computers (I know enough to build a comp, just not enough to manipulate things much...yet)

Thanks again.

EDIT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-A-DATA-_-20211188

This is a link to the RAM I purchased through newegg.com.

If it's really crappy RAM, please be honest and tell me. I thought it was pretty good, but if it's going to give me problems in the future, just let me know.
  14. I'd test the system with just the second set in it first. Do a memtest, try playing some games or rendering work.

If you don't have any problems with the just the second set, do like others have said and try upping the voltage in the bios to 1.9 or 2.0.
  15. Just because its cheap doesn't mean its crappy, but I have seen reports saying buyers got bad sticks. Myself I don't use or build someone a system with cheap RAM. I stick with Corsair, Muskin, Micron and Crucial if its there Balistix line, I have seen problems with Crucial's regular memory. But remember even the best kick out a bum part now and then. I just RMA'ed a stick of Corsair XMS that went bad for a user and it failed after a years worth of use.

Run Memtest and see what you come up with, the A-Data RAM does have a lifetime warrenty. If it passes a few hours of runs thru Memtest (don't just make one pass and take it for good) then up your RAM voltage to 1.9 and try that, if that doesn't do it try 2.0. It shouldn't take more then that to stablize it.

One more thing is the memory double sided? Does it have memory chips on both sides of the stick? Asking because A-DATA memory is listed as supported memory for the board but only single sided memory is supported in all four slots.

Also in the last year there has been two BIOS updates that do address memory compatability. One just two months ago.
  16. camnipotent said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-A-DATA-_-20211188

This is a link to the RAM I purchased through newegg.com.

If it's really crappy RAM, please be honest and tell me. I thought it was pretty good, but if it's going to give me problems in the future, just let me know.

I don't think the A-Data ram is all that bad, it just isn't all that good. For everyday use, it seems to do its job fairly well. When it comes to high performance, I prefer Corsair, Mushkin, or OCZ. At the moment, I agree with those who said that you probably need to raise the voltage a bit. I'm running 2.0v on my OCZ and its good for 2.1v if I decide I need it. And yes, do Memtest to confirm the sticks are good. Noting like one bad stick to bring the system down. You could also try running the machine on the second set of ram while pulling the first set, which you already confirmed as good.

One last thing might be to check your PSU. It's big enough, but if it isn't running within spec, it might bring down the machine with the extra load. OK, the four gig extra doesn't seem like much, but if the PSU was on the edge before, it just might be enough to tip it over. Its a long shot, but its something to check if the ram checks out good.
  17. Yeah check the voltage to see what your 4 gig's are running at. My Patriot RAM is rated for 2.0v but was automatically set by my bios and running at 1.8v. I didnt up it at all because it's been stable so far and no BSOD's for the past 6 months. When I put in another 4 gig's I'll have to see if it BSOD's. Like mine, you may want to check what your's is supposed to run at and what it really is running at and adjust accordingly.
  18. It's supposed to run at 1.8 +/- 0.1V but with four DIMM's in his system that could be affecting the output voltage, so as I said if it passes memtest up the voltage a bit and try again.
  19. Set your memory voltage to the value set by the manufacturer. There is no need to increase the memory voltage when running 4 up. It's the memory controller voltage you need to adjust. On that MOBO you have I believe you will need 1.53v or 1.56v. It's been a while since I ran it. You should also make sure that the NB heatsink is kept well cooled as it is going to get VERY HOT with 4 modules.
  20. Slight problem: I can't get memtest to run with 64-bit Vista. Is that common? It says on www.memtest86.com that they're looking for someone to develop a memtest that can handle 64-bit. Does anyone have any links to a memtest that would solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Cam
  21. camnipotent said:
    Slight problem: I can't get memtest to run with 64-bit Vista. Is that common? It says on www.memtest86.com that they're looking for someone to develop a memtest that can handle 64-bit. Does anyone have any links to a memtest that would solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Cam
    Just get memtest86+ instead, burn it on a CD and boot from it, it will bypass OS.
  22. Memtest is a bootable program, it doesn't require any operating system. Download the ISO image and use Nero to burn a disk from it. Set your first boot device in the motherboard BIOS to CD and insert the disk you burned, reboot the computer and it will load right up. Memtest86 or Memtest86+ both offer free downloads of the ISO image.
  23. So here is what I've done: Ran Memtest86+ on both sets of RAM for 8 passes, no errors. So, the RAM's good, so it seems.

I then upped the voltage of the RAM to around 1.9 and the computer didn't even get to the Vista load screen. I upped the voltage to 2.013 and it didn't even get passed the BIOS load screen. So, I upped the NB voltage to 1.208, and still, nothing is able to load.

I don't know if my RAM is double sided. Does that mean that there are black modules on each side of the chip? Is it even possible to get a 1 sided, 2 GB stick?

Yellowbeard suggested raising the memory controller to about 1.5v. Is that the correct thing to do? I'm stuck and you all are my only hope!

Thanks in advance!

Cam
  24. As Yellowbeard suggested it, he's probably right about the 1.5v, or rather the 1.53-1.56v on the memory controller. Just watch the temps close. You may have a motherboard problem going on as well. I think you're right about the memory being double sided.

Beyond that, I have no further suggestions at this time.
  25. Good news: I got it working. I went into the BIOS and dropped the speed to 667 Mhz and it booted up fine. No increases in voltages as of yet. Just for the hell of it, I went back into the BIOS and went to the AI Overclocking options (It's all preset overclocking) and boosted the mobo to 10% overclocking, upon restart, the computer came to life and has been stable since. Not sure what the issue was, or if it still exists and I'm just getting lucky. Thanks for all of your help and I'll let you know if anything changes.
  26. I've got the same problem. but with your solution, dropping the speed to 667 mhz, don't you loose performance you paid for? i'd like to avoid that and still get my 8gb at 800 mhz. actually at the moment i'm waiting for the second set of 2x2 GB sticks to arrive. But I still can't get the first four to work.
    the four 1GB sticks from before are still working.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Windows Vista Blue Screen Product