A gaming build for $1300... looking good?

Regicide

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Here's the list on Newegg... I want to make sure nothing is conflicting and it will all work once I've got it all here and I put it together. I'd also like opinions on the choices that were made, a guy on another forum I go to built it for me. I've modified his list a few times but it's still mostly the same.

Thoughts? :hello:

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
did you post this in that forum as well?

consider dropping the case and extra fans for the antec 900. I believe the 900 has better cooling and airflow.

What OS are you running? Vista then more ram. XP then maybe more ram

Hard drive is a little small. Might become a hassle.

compare this monitor to the one you selected. It appears to have a faster response time... but my LCD knowledge is not where it should be. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001095

good luck. others will be along shortly :)

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Indeed the antec 900 is a cooling beast, and you have more then enough room in it, i have a 8800 gts 512 (g92) in my comp and still have 3 inches or so till its snug with the side of the case, plus you wont have to buy fans. I would also go with 4 gigs, you might now running xp now, but theres a good chance you will have to get vista to play newer games in a year or two, so be prepared. Switch your ram from corsair to something else, kingston seems to work very well with gigabyte boards, but corsair has issues with these boards sometimes.

Regicide

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
vangvace: My LCD knowledge isn't where it should be either, but I read that response time is way too important for gaming for me to get 2ms.

blacksci: I've considered the Antec 900 but I'm more interested in a full-sized tower... although, the money I would be saving would be more than worth it. However, the antec has more intake than exhaust (I think?) and isn't that bad for the PC?

I'll be using Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for the replies so far. :D

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Nope, 2 exhaust, 1, 120mm in back and a 240 mm up top, room for 2 more 120mm fans, one on the side of the case, and another fan to go in front of your harddrives, trust me man its full tower. Sits about 2 1/2 feet off the floor, room for 6 harddrives with the rail system they provide, and plenty of slots for your dvd readers and such. 2 ms is a great response time for a monitor btw.

Regicide

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I think I will go with the antec 900, thanks for bringing it up again before I went through with my purchases. The moniter that vangvance linked too is actually 10 dollars more expensive and has 4 less ms...

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Go with your original idea then, lol. Yeah its understandable i was in doubt about the case for like 2 weeks before i bought it, and i had to read up on reviews about it to find out that there was more then just one 120mm fan in the back for exhaust. Nobody seemed to have the pictures i was looking for.

burningmunk

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I'd get 4GB of RAM since it is cheap at the moment, drop the cooler and get something else entirely (POS), and up the hard drive storage by just a bit.

I have that exact DVD drive, no complaints so far.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Hell yeah i gurantee thats a piece of well you know, lol. I use a artic freezer pro 7 and keeps my quad to around 40 degrees celcius, but ill probably get some flak off of saying that, seems everyone hates the mounting pins it uses, but worked fine for me, and im no rocket scientist.