Sign in with
Your question

There is no message Press any key to boot CD

Last response: in Windows XP
July 15, 2010 1:45:50 PM

Hello, I have a problem - wish to format my HD and install XP again but I can't do it, because it's not booting from CD/DVD at all... Yes, I set priority in BIOS for CD/DVD but it still doesn't work. When a black screen appears, there is just blinking dash, without message "Press any key to boot CD" yet it continue with loading XP from HD... Can anyone help me?

P.S. Can it be because of viruses?

More about : message press key boot

July 15, 2010 1:54:23 PM

Probably not a virus, what is the disk you are using? Is it an original one from MS or a burned copy? You could have a bad disk, scratched, burned improperly. Does this disk work on another computer?

I have seen instances where people take an iso image and just burn the iso file to the disk instead of creating a full disk using the image file.
July 15, 2010 4:14:52 PM

It can be from a virus, because you have not wiped the drive yet.
But try
put the disk in the drive, hold down F8 and start the computer, select from the list: boot from CD drive.
Report back if that works or not.
If it does not work, we can try to purge the drive of any malware. There are malware programs these days that stop systems from working in many ways.
Related resources
July 15, 2010 5:59:30 PM

It can be a virus. Since you wish to reformat the HD, you can delete the files at 'WINDOWS' folder especially the system files. Then, restart again and remember to change CD/DVD the priority in BIOS as your first choice...insert your cd/dvd. It might appear 'Boot from cd/dvd' and 'Press any key to continue' in a black screen. then let it load the contents. The system might ask you to install the Win XP or repair or exit setup...
July 16, 2010 2:20:40 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Probably not a virus, what is the disk you are using? Is it an original one from MS or a burned copy? You could have a bad disk, scratched, burned improperly. Does this disk work on another computer?

I have seen instances where people take an iso image and just burn the iso file to the disk instead of creating a full disk using the image file.

It's burned copy but it works on other computers. It also works on this one but after windows xp loads from HD.

soundguruman said:
It can be from a virus, because you have not wiped the drive yet.
But try
put the disk in the drive, hold down F8 and start the computer, select from the list: boot from CD drive.
Report back if that works or not.
If it does not work, we can try to purge the drive of any malware. There are malware programs these days that stop systems from working in many ways.

I've tried this, as u suggest, but I got only Help screen with some options but there wasn't anything about changing from where to boot.

shuuri said:
It can be a virus. Since you wish to reformat the HD, you can delete the files at 'WINDOWS' folder especially the system files. Then, restart again and remember to change CD/DVD the priority in BIOS as your first choice...insert your cd/dvd. It might appear 'Boot from cd/dvd' and 'Press any key to continue' in a black screen. then let it load the contents. The system might ask you to install the Win XP or repair or exit setup...

I still didn't do it bcz I'm afraid that if I do it and after that it appears again that I can't to boot from CD, then I wont be able to search for other solutions online :) 
July 16, 2010 1:39:51 PM

shuuri said:

The issue is that the CD will not boot, not that he can't install Windows. There may be a virus that would prevent a computer from booting to Windows, but I'm betting 99% of the time it's an issue with the drive/disk or BIOS config.
July 16, 2010 1:42:16 PM

Try to burn anothe copy at a low speed, 4x or something and try booting from that.
July 16, 2010 5:36:23 PM

Well, there ya go. your trying to use a burned copy, and probably being rejected by "microsoft genuine advantage" update that is installed in the computer. The microsoft updates are designed to detect and prevent the installation of copied software.
That most certainly, is the problem.
July 16, 2010 8:39:07 PM

Ahhh... so that's the problem... is there any way to delete "genuine"?
July 17, 2010 5:45:55 PM

All I'm gonna say is that if you had a hard drive with nothing on it to start with......
July 17, 2010 8:35:42 PM

ok... thanks anyway for ur helo :) 
July 18, 2010 12:08:34 AM

The current install has nothing to do with it. Malware infecting the hard drive wouldn't have any effect on this either. You're talking about an issue that's occurring before the hard drive even loads windows.

Try disabling all other boot devices in the BIOS, except for the DVD drive. If you have multiple DVD drives, make sure the correct one is listed as the first boot device.

If that doesn't work, you may not have a bootable disc. Since it's a burned disc, I'm assuming it's a legal version.
July 18, 2010 6:54:05 AM

little_one22 said:
It's burned copy but it works on other computers. It also works on this one but after windows xp loads from HD.

Can you be certain of the CD's data integrity? Has this same CD been used to install XP in a different computer? Has anyone else been able to use that CD to install XP and make it work? How can you be sure it is not damaged?
January 18, 2012 6:55:16 AM

soundguruman said:
Well, there ya go. your trying to use a burned copy, and probably being rejected by "microsoft genuine advantage" update that is installed in the computer. The microsoft updates are designed to detect and prevent the installation of copied software.

i have the same problem. But i used that CD before. now i have windows 7. please give me some solutions.
January 19, 2012 4:55:04 AM

The CD/DVD you are using is not bootable or corrupted ...
February 7, 2013 12:33:27 PM

Just in case someone else comes across this thread and has this issue here was my solution.

Aford10
Quote:
The current install has nothing to do with it. Malware infecting the hard drive wouldn't have any effect on this either. You're talking about an issue that's occurring before the hard drive even loads windows.

Try disabling all other boot devices in the BIOS, except for the DVD drive. If you have multiple DVD drives, make sure the correct one is listed as the first boot device.

Aford10 is exaclty correct, this is not a virus issue, either the CD/DVD is bad (scratches are a huge culprit, even if you can browse the CD/DVD on another machine it doesn’t mean it's bootable) or the HDD is shot. Try creating a new disc and/or replacing the HDD. If you do disable everything but the CD/DVD drive and get an XP install going you will have to enable the HDD on the reboot.

soundguruman
Quote:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage doesn't run its check until you login to Windows or access Windows update or sometimes not at all if you are using XP PROx64. It doesn't detect and prevent the installation of copied software; it authenticates the license you are using for your copy of Windows. You can copy an install CD as many times as you want, you just can't use the same product key for multiple installs unless you purchase the volume license.

My issue turned out to be a bad HDD, replaced the HDD and the XP install went as usual
!