Help!!! Fan broke on my motherboard.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
A fan on my motherboard is broken and I need help. The fan thats broken is the orange one in this picture. I need to know what kind of fan this is and where i can get a replacement. My motherboard is a DFI 680i LT. Please help. Thanks!

big_18.jpg

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Just look on Newegg for chipset coolers, All the motherboard makers want you to rma the motherboard for a replacement if the board is still in warranty. The shipping alone will cost more than a third party cooler.
Coolerguys.com also has chipset coolers and they have cheaper shipping prices when you buy multiple items.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Hi

First off DFI have really good warranty services. I bought a second hand DFI socket 939 board recently which had no I/O plate or the audio risers (good ol' E-bay!!) I emailed the European DFI support and they had both parts out to me within a week!! Worth trying this route first!!

Second these are rather crappy magneto style fans (where the fan hovers over and is surround by the magnet. They don't have much heatsink surface area or airflow... An aftermarket chipset cooler would be the way to go... Just be aware of the need to keep both your PCIe 16x slots free if you are going for SLI... A tall chipset cooling heatsink could obstruct one or both slots (I think Thermalright - a very good make - do a special SLI chipset cooler). Go for a higher overclock with this option!!

Bob

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I didn't even think of the aftermarket cooler, duh. Try to get one with a standard fan, for the next time it fails. I really don't like these heatsinks with the proprietary fans.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I'd really like to go the aftermarket option, but I can't seem to find a chipset cooler that can replace this. All the chipset coolers I see seem to be only for the north bridge. I know this fans not cooling the north bridge, because I already have a huge heat sink on it. Does anyone know the specific fan type I would need to replace this? Thanks.

tried servicing the fan? take it apart and peel off the lable and put a tiny bit of lube in the centre and that should fix it, if its a baring issue.