Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I air or water cool my gaming rig?-Please help!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 22, 2008 1:51:43 AM

Hi, so I'm building a gaming rig and I'm kind of worried about the heat being too high, so I'm wondering if I should go water or air cooling. Here are the specs(Note: These aren't the specs I'm 100% sure I'll get, for example give or take the mobo/CPU, but it will probably be this or very similar):

EVGA 780i SLI mobo
Quad Core Q9550 2.83ghz
Triple GTX 280 OC editions in SLI
8gb DDR2-1066 RAM
300GB VELOCIRAPTOR 10K RPM HDD
X-FI Xtreme gamer fatal1ty titanium edition sound card
1250w PSU

I plan to OC the Q9550, but nothing crazy... just hoping to get it to around like 3.3 GHz. So with that, do you guys think I should stick with air or water cooling, and why? And can you recommend anything in particular?

Also, if it helps, I will probably be using this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The thing is a size of a refrigerator, so I don't think size should be a problem, even with 3 huge GPUs.

Thanks a bunch! :sol: 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2008 2:11:44 AM

Ok

get get a 790i Mobo first off, I hear all the 780i's and below in the 7 series suck a**. the 790i is the only good one. Also get ddr 3. Although there is limited use for it now, I'd get it now as its already getting pretty cheap (comparatively) and you'll be able to move it the next build (with nehalem) if you get the right modules (2 GB modules are good)

Uh also ditch the gtx 280 triple sli get only 2 as the scaling for 3 is absolutely terrible. If you have that much money though, i'd recommend going for a good x48 board, and going CF 4870 X2's

The q9550 is a great cpu (have it at 3.85 ghz currently on air) and will try to push it farther on water

you don't really need more than 4 GB right now, its the best spot right now, 8 GB is still a tad expensive, so get 2 X 2 GB ddr 3 modules and then get 1 X 2 GB model when you upgrade to nehalem or the later processors

For what you want to do, getting a GOOD liquid setup for that would be VERY VERY expensive, as you'd have to get a atleast a really good radiator or 2 slightly smaller ones, and you'd have to get 3 high quality water blocks for the gtx 280's

I'd go with air, the q9550 can be pushed pretty far on air, take for example my q9550, 3.3 ghz should be able to be reached no problem on air

nice case, but maybe a tad on the expensive side, perhaps the cheapest Cosmo case (still 200 bucks) but it looks like thats where the quality REALLY starts to shine for cases. You can get other cases for much less that will give you similar things, so consider dropping the case for something cheaper, dropping a gtx 280 and save some money.

Or just drop the 780i/790i idea and get an X48 with 2 4870 X2's



Thats what i would do.
September 22, 2008 2:31:31 AM

Quote:
Ok

get get a 790i Mobo first off, I hear all the 780i's and below in the 7 series suck a**. the 790i is the only good one. Also get ddr 3. Although there is limited use for it now, I'd get it now as its already getting pretty cheap (comparatively) and you'll be able to move it the next build (with nehalem) if you get the right modules (2 GB modules are good)

Uh also ditch the gtx 280 triple sli get only 2 as the scaling for 3 is absolutely terrible. If you have that much money though, i'd recommend going for a good x48 board, and going CF 4870 X2's

The q9550 is a great cpu (have it at 3.85 ghz currently on air) and will try to push it farther on water

you don't really need more than 4 GB right now, its the best spot right now, 8 GB is still a tad expensive, so get 2 X 2 GB ddr 3 modules and then get 1 X 2 GB model when you upgrade to nehalem or the later processors

For what you want to do, getting a GOOD liquid setup for that would be VERY VERY expensive, as you'd have to get a atleast a really good radiator or 2 slightly smaller ones, and you'd have to get 3 high quality water blocks for the gtx 280's

I'd go with air, the q9550 can be pushed pretty far on air, take for example my q9550, 3.3 ghz should be able to be reached no problem on air

nice case, but maybe a tad on the expensive side, perhaps the cheapest Cosmo case (still 200 bucks) but it looks like thats where the quality REALLY starts to shine for cases. You can get other cases for much less that will give you similar things, so consider dropping the case for something cheaper, dropping a gtx 280 and save some money.

Or just drop the 780i/790i idea and get an X48 with 2 4870 X2's



Thats what i would do.


Alright Im seriously fed up with everybody on this site. Every damn post I make asking for help, someone tells me my gpus are a waste of cash or i should get ddr3 instead of ddr3. Look, I'm sticking with this setup. I'm not wasting money on DDR3. I dont care about nehalem. i dont care if 3 GTX280s dont give me bang for the buck, its the best GPU combo on the market right now.

All I want to know is I need water cooling, because I think with GPUs and a CPU this strong, air cooling wouldn't be enough. With that, can anyone be helpful?
Related resources
September 22, 2008 2:41:10 AM

calm down god....

He was only trying to help chill its a fricking forum

Air Cooling will be fine....i mean ur computer wont blow up.
Watercool only if u want to rly push the cpu
But for that setup it would be expensive. 2 pumps at least, multiple GOOD rads and all those blocks, especially if u want full cover which are easily $120 a piece
September 22, 2008 2:42:36 AM

I'm using a stacker 830 right now. It's a nice case and the cooling is great, but if you try to run 3 GTX280s OC'd in it on air you might get a little overheat. Just make sure you are decked out with fans. All of them. You're not pushing the 9550 too far, so a good air cooler should be fine, just make sure you have enough fans to support the rest of the system. I'm talking 4 fans in the side, one on top, and the two that come in the front and back. You might even want to replace the back fan with a more powerful one for exhaust.

September 22, 2008 2:52:28 AM

1) Relax, thogrom was just trying to help.

2) 3 way SLI scaling is terrible. Two cherry picked benchmarks don't even begin to tell the full story. And since when does 77 vs 108FPS in COD4 matter?

3) You're not going to waste money on DDR3, but you're willing to throw away $400 for a third GTX280? My advice is to drop the third GPU and go with a 790i route + DDR3. The 790i has a more advanced PCIe bus allowing for better SLI scaling.

4) It's your money and you can spend it however you want. Crysis at very high settings on a 30" LCD would be badass. So in answer to your question, yes, for that setup you should look into a serious watercooling system.
September 22, 2008 3:01:08 AM

Air should do you. I would set it up with air and monitor temps. If they are too high then you can get the water, Fans are cheap so no money wasted and water can be a serious a pain in the @ss and can leak. I can put up with more fan noise than most though, if you want really quiet you may have to go water.
September 22, 2008 3:06:42 AM

homerdog said:
So in answer to your question, yes, for that setup you should look into a serious watercooling system.
That case has 4 120mm side fans, it should be able to remove the heat.
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2008 3:19:24 AM

well its his money so let him get 3 280gtx if he wants. I bet those 3 280gtx would get toasty inside the case. It would be good idea to water cool those
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 22, 2008 3:29:05 AM

Lets see, back to the ops question. You want to watercool 3 GTX280's, the CPU and probably the NB.

It'll take two loops.
The CPU loop: A good 120.2 rad, pump, fans, res, CPU block, NB block, hose, and clamps. About $300 minimum.

GPU's loop: A GREAT 120x4 rad, pump, fans, res, THREE GPU blocks, hose and clamps. I'd go full cover blocks for 3 way SLI. About $700 minimum.

So good water will cost you close to $1000, maybe another $200 with quality stuff like compression fittings, premium hose, afftermarket tops on the DDC3.2 pumps, a 120x4 and 120x2 Feser rads.

Don't forget the case to hold all the WC gear.
September 22, 2008 3:45:59 AM

Well, you've got a real task at hand here - not just a cpu but triple gpus as well. That's going to take some serious commitment and $$$. So, before anything is said it would be helpful to find out a few things here:

1) It would be helpful to know if you had a budget. Seriously, this cooling loop might well end up costing you some serious $$$ if you aren't careful. Actually, to cool a CPU and three GPUs I don't see how it can't. That being said, help us out here if there is some form of limitation.

2) I see where you said that you plan to OC the CPU but you made no mention of the GPUs. Will you OC them at all? Even the slightest? I ask because I'm trying to figure out your OC tendencies here and whether or not the NB might need to be added to the loop. It would also be helpful to decern if you plan to OC your memory (especially if you would also manipulate the voltages).

The Northbridge, typically, controls memory functions like – a memory controller (for Intel Chipsets), a level 2 cache communicator and bridges the gap between the CPU and Ram – it also handles functions between the CPU and the graphics processor on the PCI, AGP and PCIe slots. Since this particular part is always busy it can generate quite a lot of heat. This is why OC the GPUs and the memory can influence things here.

September 22, 2008 4:28:59 AM

save some $$$$ and get 2 x2 4870's



atleast you wont have to spend 400 $ per GPU

well think of it this way, your foolish spending is stimulating the American economy :kaola: 
September 22, 2008 4:38:40 AM

macer1 said:
save some $$$$ and get 2 x2 4870's



atleast you wont have to spend 400 $ per GPU

well think of it this way, your foolish spending is stimulating the American economy :kaola: 


Honestly its his choice. Some folks have personal preferences and although they may seem confusing to most folks they're nevertheless their own choices.

I disagree on the notion that he should purchase DDR3 memory now. The prices have nowhere to go but down. The product itself (DDR3) shows no tangible real world gains with the Core architecture. Only Nehalem will truly make use of it.

For now, DDR2 is the smart choice as it's dirt cheap and mirrors what's to come from DDR3 price wise.
September 22, 2008 5:00:24 AM

You do know that 3 gtx280's sitting side by side in the slots don't leave any room for watercooling. Just something to think about when the heat does buildup inside the case.
September 22, 2008 5:03:53 AM

phreejak said:
Well, you've got a real task at hand here - not just a cpu but triple gpus as well. That's going to take some serious commitment and $$$. So, before anything is said it would be helpful to find out a few things here:

1) It would be helpful to know if you had a budget. Seriously, this cooling loop might well end up costing you some serious $$$ if you aren't careful. Actually, to cool a CPU and three GPUs I don't see how it can't. That being said, help us out here if there is some form of limitation.

2) I see where you said that you plan to OC the CPU but you made no mention of the GPUs. Will you OC them at all? Even the slightest? I ask because I'm trying to figure out your OC tendencies here and whether or not the NB might need to be added to the loop. It would also be helpful to decern if you plan to OC your memory (especially if you would also manipulate the voltages).

The Northbridge, typically, controls memory functions like – a memory controller (for Intel Chipsets), a level 2 cache communicator and bridges the gap between the CPU and Ram – it also handles functions between the CPU and the graphics processor on the PCI, AGP and PCIe slots. Since this particular part is always busy it can generate quite a lot of heat. This is why OC the GPUs and the memory can influence things here.


1) In terms of cooling, yes I am on a budget. I don't want to spend $1000 for cooling. A few hundred max would be ideal, I'd just like everything to run on fair temps when hardcore gaming.

2) Just the CPU, GPUs come OCed.


September 22, 2008 5:42:50 AM

UltimaSlayerVII, with a configuration such as the one that you are attempting to deal with, there are so many factors that you have to consider. For the most part, I understand about the cost. To build such a cooling loop (or loops) is a big undertaking and you have to weigh that in a cost versus results basis. In any case, I think there are some places where you can keep the spending under control - especially in the area of the GPUs.

I am loath to consider recommending a dual loop dual pump configuration because the cost is going to be enormous. I had a rig where I ran TECs on both my CPU and GPU (both 226watts) and they generated so much heat that I had to run dual pump dual loop cooling and the cost would qualify as the Gross National Product of some small foreign countries. With that in mind, it does go to you as far as how you want to run this thing.

So, if you want to try and make a single pump single loop configuration work than that is what we can work on. Otherwise, there is the possibility of creating a dual pump dual loop.

As for the GPUs, I am not certain about the clearance that your board will give you but in this instance, if at all possible, stay away from ALL fullbody waterblocks. I'd never recommend one much less three simply because they are more expensive, don't produce as well as the GPU core specific waterblocks and kill flowrate.
September 22, 2008 6:14:43 AM

All this talk of water is a lot of fun. How about loading that case up with fans instead. I'll bet you can get by without water, or maybe you need cascade phase change. :lol: 

September 22, 2008 7:44:24 AM

if you are willing to spend over $100, i would recommend a coolit pure @ $125. it's a hybrid water-peltier, so it can run several different lines.

afaik, there's no real air cooling solution for multiple graphics cards. even if the cards have good cooling by themselves, when they are placed together, the heat between them is very high and hard to move. i read an article here about the middle card in a three way setup throttling down.

at the amd boards, most people have traded in their dual cards for single cards because of heat issues.

if you go water and run a triple gpu line, i dunno if the pure can handle it.
September 22, 2008 8:04:58 AM

Tri-SLI doesnt work on air if you're anywhere out of antartica. It just boxes up too much heat, and then the cards start failing. The craaazy expensive gtx280's above that someone recomended are likely made with tri-sli in mind. And no, triSLI GTX280 is not the best gpu combo on the market.
September 22, 2008 8:21:34 AM

lol.....ehh, its his money, let him tri-sli gtx280

and 6 months later, a new and better card comes out :) 
September 22, 2008 2:35:15 PM

curnel_D said:
Tri-SLI doesnt work on air if you're anywhere out of antartica. It just boxes up too much heat, and then the cards start failing. The craaazy expensive gtx280's above that someone recomended are likely made with tri-sli in mind. And no, triSLI GTX280 is not the best gpu combo on the market.


Oh really? Tell me what can get better performance than triple OC'd gtx 280s then. I'll be waiting.
September 22, 2008 3:28:23 PM

Air cooling will be ok.
September 22, 2008 6:50:54 PM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Oh really? Tell me what can get better performance than triple OC'd gtx 280s then. I'll be waiting.

I dont even think we should help this fool

We try to give advice to save him $$$ that hes wasting and he gets angry, then Fine dont take our advice, dont ask and then we wont comment.
cause i gotta tell yea Ultima, in 6 months a new card will be out for $400 thats gonna beat the crap out of 3 GTX 280s its just what happens with technology.

Alright Im seriously fed up with everybody on this site. said:
Alright Im seriously fed up with everybody on this site.

Then again dont ask.....

U were told air cooling should be fine, you can take it or leave it, we dont care its not our wasted money. Water cool if u want to heavily overclock ur rig and/or keep it quieter
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
September 22, 2008 8:05:52 PM

dude wtf is the point of asking for help... if your going to bash the people who try to share their opinion....

how lame, I was interested in this thread until I read his response to me
September 22, 2008 10:30:18 PM

phreejak said:
UltimaSlayerVII, with a configuration such as the one that you are attempting to deal with, there are so many factors that you have to consider. For the most part, I understand about the cost. To build such a cooling loop (or loops) is a big undertaking and you have to weigh that in a cost versus results basis. In any case, I think there are some places where you can keep the spending under control - especially in the area of the GPUs.

I am loath to consider recommending a dual loop dual pump configuration because the cost is going to be enormous. I had a rig where I ran TECs on both my CPU and GPU (both 226watts) and they generated so much heat that I had to run dual pump dual loop cooling and the cost would qualify as the Gross National Product of some small foreign countries. With that in mind, it does go to you as far as how you want to run this thing.

So, if you want to try and make a single pump single loop configuration work than that is what we can work on. Otherwise, there is the possibility of creating a dual pump dual loop.

As for the GPUs, I am not certain about the clearance that your board will give you but in this instance, if at all possible, stay away from ALL fullbody waterblocks. I'd never recommend one much less three simply because they are more expensive, don't produce as well as the GPU core specific waterblocks and kill flowrate.

September 22, 2008 10:31:28 PM

phreejak said:
UltimaSlayerVII, with a configuration such as the one that you are attempting to deal with, there are so many factors that you have to consider. For the most part, I understand about the cost. To build such a cooling loop (or loops) is a big undertaking and you have to weigh that in a cost versus results basis. In any case, I think there are some places where you can keep the spending under control - especially in the area of the GPUs.

I am loath to consider recommending a dual loop dual pump configuration because the cost is going to be enormous. I had a rig where I ran TECs on both my CPU and GPU (both 226watts) and they generated so much heat that I had to run dual pump dual loop cooling and the cost would qualify as the Gross National Product of some small foreign countries. With that in mind, it does go to you as far as how you want to run this thing.

So, if you want to try and make a single pump single loop configuration work than that is what we can work on. Otherwise, there is the possibility of creating a dual pump dual loop.

As for the GPUs, I am not certain about the clearance that your board will give you but in this instance, if at all possible, stay away from ALL fullbody waterblocks. I'd never recommend one much less three simply because they are more expensive, don't produce as well as the GPU core specific waterblocks and kill flowrate.


Lies..:p  Either you're willfully lying or just not that well informed.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/e...

Full cover blocks from EK don't really hinder flow. That being said they match a Swiftech MCW60 while also cooling the RAM and Mosfets on the video card.
September 22, 2008 10:33:12 PM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Oh really? Tell me what can get better performance than triple OC'd gtx 280s then. I'll be waiting.


Umm.. two ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2's are bettre in the VAST majority of games (around 90% of titles out there).
September 22, 2008 11:00:28 PM

in the tom's q3 2008 video card roundup, it was shown that the current chips are throttling the highest GPU (X3 and X4) configurations, so nobody knows what's the best.

but, according to ripping.org, 13 of the top 15 highest 3dmark06 scores were achieved with X4 4870's. 1 out of 15 was with the triple SLI 280, one with double SlI 280 (alright, give the 280 2 out of the top 15.)
http://www.ripping.org/benchmarks.php?act=graphicscores...

September 23, 2008 12:39:35 AM

Silverion77 said:
I dont even think we should help this fool

We try to give advice to save him $$$ that hes wasting and he gets angry, then Fine dont take our advice, dont ask and then we wont comment.
cause i gotta tell yea Ultima, in 6 months a new card will be out for $400 thats gonna beat the crap out of 3 GTX 280s its just what happens with technology.


Then again dont ask.....

U were told air cooling should be fine, you can take it or leave it, we dont care its not our wasted money. Water cool if u want to heavily overclock ur rig and/or keep it quieter


yea, and in 4 more months, that new $400 card will get owned by another. so what do you want me to do? Just stick with a gefore MX that I know can't possibly get any worse? I'm kind of sick of crashing on CSS on the lowest possible settings.
September 23, 2008 12:41:52 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Umm.. two ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2's are bettre in the VAST majority of games (around 90% of titles out there).


Except crysis. And why the hell would I even get more than 1 gtx 280 if it wasn't for crysis?

But seriously, I WANT to get dual 4870X2s. I KNOW they're better. The problem is, I cant find a single benchmark that has DUAL 4870X2s in CS. Theyre always ONE 4870X2 in CS. If you could find me a benchie of that, I'll love you forever :kaola: 
September 23, 2008 12:43:24 AM

LMFAO a 79$ 4670 would max out your LCD refresh rate in CCS

hell an ati 9600 se would
September 23, 2008 1:04:48 AM

macer1 said:
LMFAO a 79$ 4670 would max out your LCD refresh rate in CCS

hell an ati 9600 se would


Dude, are you crazy? I'm not spending $1500 on GPUs to run CSS on max. Read the post.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2008 1:09:41 AM

BTW... CRYSIS IS NOT THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD....

notice the nvidia-ness in the programming... I mean why does the gtx 280 woop the 4870's a** in it... when in every other game the 4870 is much closer to it... it's because crysis and crytek coded for nvidia... thats why its such a bad benchmark... because you can't really compare the two because a 4870... if it was on equal footing with an gtx 280 would probably a lot closer... but its not because the software was coded for a specific chip manufacturer...

Is that bad? No, it just de-legitimizes the usefulness of it as a benchmark, and as a game because people want to be able to play crysis... well they can on a good number of nvidia cards... but those same nvidia cards struggle in other games when the AMD ones woop their a**....

I think developers should just code equally... problem with that is then they wouldn't get the game done because of poor sponsership.

Anyway... Crysis is definitely green, the number of trees and foliage and stuff is amazing... if it was coded for AMD, well then everything would be red... and well... it wouldn't have the same effect :D 
September 23, 2008 1:53:49 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Dude, are you crazy? I'm not spending $1500 on GPUs to run CSS on max. Read the post.


Well you see there is a problem with nVIDIA's SLI. The issue is that it's primarilly a software solution. Let me explain.

If you have a Skulltrail system (8 cores) a tri-sli will beat a 2x4870X2 configuration. But you're talking about going quad core right?

In a Quad Core scenerio two GTX 280s in SLI run faster than 3.. no joke.. have a look:
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/8

If your main game is Crysis than yes I would concede that the GTX 280 would be your weapon of choice.

In a Skulltrail 8 core environment read the following:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=609&pa...

The difference is primarilly the fact that there are issues with ATi drivers and skulltrail as well as the underlying fact that ATi have their Image Compositing done onboard whereas nVIDIA have the processor process this. In an eight core environment nVIDIA benefits.

Other than that.. 4870X2 CF is indeed faster and cheaper (in 90% of games pretty much).
September 23, 2008 1:58:45 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
yea, and in 4 more months, that new $400 card will get owned by another. so what do you want me to do? Just stick with a gefore MX that I know can't possibly get any worse? I'm kind of sick of crashing on CSS on the lowest possible settings.

Thats true but just for the hell of it lets say....u get 1!!! GTX 280 and save the $800. Then u can upgrade about 2 other times. Plus newer cards will probably last longer. Technology advancement is exponential to an extent not linear. so the newer and newer cards will have higher performance increases over the previous generation.
September 23, 2008 2:09:12 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Well you see there is a problem with nVIDIA's SLI. The issue is that it's primarilly a software solution. Let me explain.

If you have a Skulltrail system (8 cores) a tri-sli will beat a 2x4870X2 configuration. But you're talking about going quad core right?

In a Quad Core scenerio two GTX 280s in SLI run faster than 3.. no joke.. have a look:
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/8

If your main game is Crysis than yes I would concede that the GTX 280 would be your weapon of choice.

In a Skulltrail 8 core environment read the following:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=609&pa...

The difference is primarilly the fact that there are issues with ATi drivers and skulltrail as well as the underlying fact that ATi have their Image Compositing done onboard whereas nVIDIA have the processor process this. In an eight core environment nVIDIA benefits.

Other than that.. 4870X2 CF is indeed faster and cheaper (in 90% of games pretty much).


Finally found some benchies... the dual 4870X2s are slower in crysis, cod4, and AOC... my 3 main games, so no thanks. Also, I'd rather stick with nvidia... soon, 50+% of games will be coded for nvidia specifically just like crysis, because they have more money in their pockets.
September 23, 2008 2:12:29 AM

Crysis will mainly serve as a "holy crap, look at these insanely amazing graphics! max settings, max resolutions omg, the $1500 I spent on GPUs was worth it" kind of thing. And also, I know these 3 cards will survive for at least 4 years at max settings in every game until the next crysis. I mean, I've been using a geforce mx 440 for 5 years. I can live with a $1500 GPU running everything on max quality for ages. And the 3guru benchmarks are trusted more than that, because I've been a member there for a long, long time. So again, I'm not planning on changing GPUs.
September 23, 2008 2:19:38 AM

4 years max settings....good luck with that one but if thats what u think then fine...
September 23, 2008 2:24:10 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Finally found some benchies... the dual 4870X2s are slower in crysis, cod4, and AOC... my 3 main games, so no thanks. Also, I'd rather stick with nvidia... soon, 50+% of games will be coded for nvidia specifically just like crysis, because they have more money in their pockets.


Umm no.. in CoD4 the 4870X2 CF was faster than the Tri-sli GTX280. I'm not sure where you saw AoC. It's a known fact that the 4870X2 is faster in AoC as well.

Unless you were looking at the Skulltrail tests without reading my post. Read the post. That test does not concern you..:) 

It's a Dual Quad Setup with ATi driver issues.

You're looking for a Single Quad setup where the TechReport tests are the ones to look at. It's a 5 to 1 victory for the 4870X2 CF configuration (only losing Crysis) on a Quad setup.

As for nVIDIA having deeper pockets.. well it hasn't helped them so far has it? 4/5 of those games are nVIDIA Mean't to be played titles.
September 23, 2008 5:01:07 AM

UltimaSlayerVII - I wouldn't kick a dead horse here. For whatever reason some people don't seem to agree with your choices and that is well and fine but this is starting to become a thread about something totally different than what it was intended for.

Some of the people have given you some good points while others have revealed themselves for what they actually know.

Take it all with a grain of salt.


September 23, 2008 12:42:39 PM

Alright I haven't really seen the original question answered very well so I thought I would voice my thoughts.

Personally, I am a WCing person. I love it and will probably never go back to air cooling. That said air cooling is probably the best option for you. Your OC goal isn't very ambitious so air should get you there no problem. I mean the stock cooling might even be good enough. That said I have no idea how you could possibly get to 3.3ghz and be satisfied knowing that you could get more out of it. OCing is like gambling, you just gotta keep going until you finally ruin everything. Also, I have seen tri-sli GTX280 a couple times air cooled and they didn't blow up. They will run hot and probably not have much OC head room, but they won't blow up.

Now, I have a case that is actually slightly bigger than that one and only 1 gpu with no nb or sb blocks and less rads than you will need and I have a hard time fitting everything in. If you want to have your rads internally and cool everything you will not have room for everything as you will need about 3 120.3 rads and either 2 pumps or one large one. The cost alone for the WCing will be enough for another gaming comp. Also, you will have to mod your case. If you want, what you can do is build an external housing for the WCing equipment and just have tubing going from the external housing to the inside of the case. If you must have everything mounted internally than you can get a MM case as those are made for WCing.
September 23, 2008 2:30:35 PM

faster3200 said:
Alright I haven't really seen the original question answered very well so I thought I would voice my thoughts.

Personally, I am a WCing person. I love it and will probably never go back to air cooling. That said air cooling is probably the best option for you. Your OC goal isn't very ambitious so air should get you there no problem. I mean the stock cooling might even be good enough. That said I have no idea how you could possibly get to 3.3ghz and be satisfied knowing that you could get more out of it. OCing is like gambling, you just gotta keep going until you finally ruin everything. Also, I have seen tri-sli GTX280 a couple times air cooled and they didn't blow up. They will run hot and probably not have much OC head room, but they won't blow up.

Now, I have a case that is actually slightly bigger than that one and only 1 gpu with no nb or sb blocks and less rads than you will need and I have a hard time fitting everything in. If you want to have your rads internally and cool everything you will not have room for everything as you will need about 3 120.3 rads and either 2 pumps or one large one. The cost alone for the WCing will be enough for another gaming comp. Also, you will have to mod your case. If you want, what you can do is build an external housing for the WCing equipment and just have tubing going from the external housing to the inside of the case. If you must have everything mounted internally than you can get a MM case as those are made for WCing.


Thanks man, thats what I wanted to hear. So what do you think of the best Lian Li case? It comes with like 5 120mm fans, and with all that room, I should be able to fit in 5-6 more. Plus the stock GPU fan, CPU fan etc. Will that be good enough to keep em at fair temps?

And yea, I wanna OC to oblivion and back, but with 3 GTX 280s being so selfish about my air, I dunno how high I can go :p 
September 23, 2008 3:30:24 PM

If you are talking about the PC-P80, yes that is a very good case for air flow. I have seen them at shops around here and they are pretty big.

Personally though, I would go for wither the Silverstone TJ-10 or TJ-07. I have seen both and they were unbelievable master pieces. They don't have as many fans but the air flow design is still amazing, they don't really need it as everything gets cooled properly, although I know you can install more.
September 23, 2008 7:01:47 PM

ultimate slayer - I have a similar setup to what you want except i just went with 1 4870x2 card and i did go with 8gb of ram. The rest is the same. I even have the stacker 830 except i went black.

I decided to do air cooling and here is my configuration:

2 Fans in the front - Blowing in
2 Fans on the side (custom windowed side with only 2 fans instead of 4) Blowing in
2 Fans underneath - Blowing air in
1 Fan on top - Blowing out
1 Fan in the back Blowing out
2 Fans in the PSU
1 Fan in the CPU Heat Sink
1 Fan on the Video card - which i modified to have it run at 90%

Noise doesnt bother me so i bought 8 fans:
2 Delta Fans that blow 200+CFM
6 Scythe 3000 RPM 150+ CFM

Seriously the air flow is so strong it is no wonder that no parts have blown off yet in my case. You def want to tie any wires down. Anyways i just wanted to state that i have similar setup and you can buy some powerful fans that keep air flowing through your case like a tornado and im OC'd at 3.6 with no issues.



Good Luck.

PS Did i mention that it is worse than being in a server room or server farm when sitting right next to it? :) 


Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2008 8:16:45 PM

BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

THATS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR

wtf is wrong with you, if you know what you wanted to hear then f*cking listen to it, and stop complaining if peoples opinions differ from yours...

ALSO @ FASTER

.... are you stupid... did you not read any of the posts here? MOST INCLUDING THE FIRST.... (which was mine) SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID


ANYWAY

Sorry for spazzing... i'm just really annoyed at these kids here... Sometimes I wonder why they don't screen babies when they're born for abnormalities...
September 23, 2008 9:08:09 PM

Quote:

ALSO @ FASTER

.... are you stupid... did you not read any of the posts here? MOST INCLUDING THE FIRST.... (which was mine) SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID

Wow, I guess missed the part where we weren't supposed to help a clearly frustrated OP. Maybe I should unnecessarily start a fight while not really contributing, that would probably be more on topic. Maybe I should post less coherently, after all why would I want the OP to acknowledged that I actually helped him make a decision?

Please, got off your high horse. I am not the one who takes himself so seriously that I go on forums and bitch because someone already made up their mind.
!