New build advice - been a while

FoF404

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2003
I'm planning on building a new PC in the next month or so, and haven't done so in about 7 years. I'm looking for advice as to the build I selected and any tips that may be offered. I'm not really planning on using this for gaming, but don't want to completely eliminate that option. I plan to mostly use it for audio/video editing AVCHD files and DVD creation. At most my limit is $1500. I'd also like to have it dual-boot either into XP or Vista (64bit?). Any advice on the best way to pull this off? I don't currently have Vista, so I'll need to purchase that....but I do have XP running on a computer I'm going to retire. Can I reuse that XP disc to install on this PC as long as it is removed or not used on the old PC? Or do I have to repurchase XP and Vista if I want the option to dual boot?

Here is the build I'm thinking of....again, I've been out of the loop for a while. I think everything I have is compatible and makes sense, but the video card options are a little confusing to me. I already have a 24" Dell Widescreen monitor, so that is not needed.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail Model
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Model
SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail Model
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive - OEM Model
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive - OEM Model
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail Model
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM Model
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail Model
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail Model
Subtotal: $1,482.88

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Drop the 700W PSU. That's way more than you need for your system -- I'd go for something like this: OCZ 500W StealthXtream

It's a quality PSU and would probably even last you through to a new system as long as you don't SLI. It's also a very good deal at only $50.00 after MIR.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good. You may want to include another DVD-RW drive if you don't already have one, because w/ a Quad Core you'll be able to burn a DVD, watch a DVD, and encode a video at the same time. :p

Also, if you plan on doing the XP / Vista dual-boot. I think you need to do XP first (make sure you leave enough space for Vista on the HD -- ie. don't make one entire drive a partition) then install Vista. I'm pretty sure that if you do Vista first, XP may just bulldoze it and not recognize the installation thereby ruining your Vista install.

akhilles

Splendid
^^^ Agreed on the psu.

Thumbs up for picking out the Q6600 which is exactly what you need to do A/V encoding.

I concur that xp 1st, vista 2nd. Xp wouldn't be able to recognize Vista since it's older.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Oh, also, I keep forgetting to mention this: Make sure you order the G0 stepping, or SLACR, version of the Q6600. It makes for better OC's. (You may see something about lower power consumption, that's what you want!)

I know for a fact that www.clubIT.com has them.

Excellent list. I assume you picked an X38 mobo/ATI card combination so you can add a second card later if you want. If that's the case, do keep that 700W PSU. if not, I agree with the above posters.

If possible, replace both disks with a single Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB. It's much faster than those two, and you get more room. I'm too lazy to check prices now, but I don't think it's a lot more money than those two together. (On second thought, I don't know if you can do dual-boot with a single hard drive... Maybe a 250GB and a 1TB, is that too much for your budget?)

Edit: you don't sound like an enthusiastic gamer, the kind that needs Crossfire. What's your monitor size? If you are sure you will never add a second video card, you can save money on the PSU (like the others have already said) and on the motherboard. For example GA-P35-DS3L is much cheaper than the Maximus Formula.

FoF404

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2003
I've made a few changes based upon advice:

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 500W for the Power Supply?
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard?
Making these changes and changing the 320GB to 500GB brings the total down to $1344.

I also think I'm going with the Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case now too.

I'm not a avid PC gamer. Once in a while I get into it, but I tend to jump back and forth from consoles to PC to taking a gamer break and pursuing other interests like audio/video. I'll play games on it, but getting Crysis to run @ max resolution and break FPS records is not my thing. I have a 24" Dell widescreen.

acidpython

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
You usually keep your OS's on one hard drive. I currently Dual boot (XP/Linux) with a 150GB hard drive. I actually have some of those parts. The maximus Formula is very nice, however I would swap the G.Skill RAM if your going to pair it up with the MF.

akhilles

Splendid
Yup, a bigger & faster hard disk will help in a/v encoding.

You're a budget-conscious causal gamer. IMO, if one wants to max out a game, they should go console. Guaranteed compatibility. Optimized. 30-60 FPS to boot. 720-1080p support.

Those new changes are fine. The HD3850 needs a 450w psu minimum.