TOT- Adware

I mentioned in a reply that I'm having a devil of a time with two
adware apps that keep showing up. The two are:

http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html

and

http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/x/xxxtoolbar.asp

Recently another one has surfaced:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/d/dyfuca.asp

I'm assuming that they're getting into my machine when
the ZoneAlarm is turned off for networking, as both ZA and my
virus software are up-to-the-minute updated.

Am I wrong? Are these pesky critters annoying anyone else?

I'm running both AdAware and Pest Patrol periodically to rid
myself of them, plus emptying my Recycle Bin afterwards.

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
20 answers Last reply
More about adware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > I mentioned in a reply that I'm having a devil of a time with two
    > adware apps that keep showing up. The two are:

    http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/lp/14/
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Pick up a copy of Spybot Killer from here.

    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Best you can get from my experience.

    Bramage

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    > I mentioned in a reply that I'm having a devil of a time with two
    > adware apps that keep showing up. The two are:
    >
    > http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/x/xxxtoolbar.asp
    >
    > Recently another one has surfaced:
    >
    > http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/d/dyfuca.asp
    >

    > I'm assuming that they're getting into my machine when
    > the ZoneAlarm is turned off for networking, as both ZA and my
    > virus software are up-to-the-minute updated.
    >
    > Am I wrong? Are these pesky critters annoying anyone else?
    >
    > I'm running both AdAware and Pest Patrol periodically to rid
    > myself of them, plus emptying my Recycle Bin afterwards.
    >
    > --
    >
    >>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > I mentioned in a reply that I'm having a devil of a time with two
    > adware apps that keep showing up. The two are:
    >
    > http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.istbar.html
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/x/xxxtoolbar.asp
    >
    > Recently another one has surfaced:
    >
    > http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/d/dyfuca.asp
    >

    > I'm assuming that they're getting into my machine when
    > the ZoneAlarm is turned off for networking, as both ZA and my
    > virus software are up-to-the-minute updated.
    >
    > Am I wrong? Are these pesky critters annoying anyone else?
    >
    > I'm running both AdAware and Pest Patrol periodically to rid
    > myself of them, plus emptying my Recycle Bin afterwards.
    >
    > --
    > >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

    The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists hundreds of
    known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident program that blocks
    adware in real time and prevents unauthorized changes to the registry.

    Quixote
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    IcyHot wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> I mentioned in a reply that I'm having a devil of a time with two
    >> adware apps that keep showing up. The two are:
    >

    > http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/lp/14/

    Okie dokie, d/l'ing the free trial right now!

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    bramage wrote:
    > Pick up a copy of Spybot Killer from here.
    >
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >
    > Best you can get from my experience.
    >
    > Bramage

    Okay, up next to d/l! This is cool- I can keep more than
    one proggie to scan my drives. :)

    --
    Thank you!
    >^,,^< Miracle
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Quixote wrote:
    > The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists hundreds
    > of known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident program
    > that blocks adware in real time and prevents unauthorized changes to
    > the registry.
    >
    > Quixote

    Aha! This is what I need, something to stop it in the first place!

    As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.

    And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.

    I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > Quixote wrote:
    > > The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists hundreds
    > > of known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident program
    > > that blocks adware in real time and prevents unauthorized changes to
    > > the registry.
    > >
    > > Quixote
    >

    > Aha! This is what I need, something to stop it in the first place!
    >
    > As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    > and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    > on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    > is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.
    >
    > And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    > flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.
    >
    > I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    > sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.

    Pics?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2k4mcjF17plikU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    > and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    > on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    > is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.
    >
    > And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    > flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.

    What about us Mozilla peeps? :D (I use Moz on Linux, too, but mainly on
    Win32 because IE is known for keeping its legs in the air.)

    > I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    > sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.

    And it's not the 4th of July yet, even! :D
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2k232nF12uicnU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > I'm assuming that they're getting into my machine when
    > the ZoneAlarm is turned off for networking, as both ZA and my
    > virus software are up-to-the-minute updated.

    These look like trojan horses. You had to have invited them in, probably
    thinking they were a harmless or even useful utility. I don't install
    anything from the web unless the author has a very good reputation or I'm
    desperate. And then I turn on all the checkers for awhile to make sure I
    haven't just shot myself in the foot.

    I use neither Lookout Distress nor Incontinent Exploder, so I'm immune to
    the normal avenues of automatic infection. My Win boxes are behind a NAT
    gateway (Linux, but that's not really relevant, any NAT would be fine) so
    I'm not subject to infection through some buggy Windows service letting a
    virus in through a listening port on some service I thought I'd disabled
    but Windows lied. That means I can run with the AV off 99% of the time.

    Just because you have a firewall or an AV doesn't mean you should *rely* on
    them. They're concentric walls of defense, but they're useless once the
    enemy is behind the walls.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:17:50 -0700, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;)

    Spoilsport.

    > It exploits a flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.

    Give either Mozilla or Firefox a go.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
    :)

    > I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    > sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.

    Possibly more info than required.

    --
    "A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:cbkon9$roi$1@inews.gazeta.pl:

    > Possibly more info than required.

    Yeah, I didn't need to hear about the jumping up and down, either. :D
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Quixote wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> Quixote wrote:
    >>> The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists
    >>> hundreds of known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident
    >>> program that blocks adware in real time and prevents unauthorized
    >>> changes to the registry.
    >>>
    >>> Quixote
    >>

    >> Aha! This is what I need, something to stop it in the first
    >> place!
    >>
    >> As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    >> and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    >> on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    >> is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.
    >>
    >> And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    >> flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.
    >>
    >> I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    >> sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.
    >>

    > Pics?

    Sure thing! I'll make sure Ross has a camera the next time.

    ;)

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
    > news:2k232nF12uicnU1@uni- berlin.de:
    >
    >> I'm assuming that they're getting into my machine when
    >> the ZoneAlarm is turned off for networking, as both ZA and my
    >> virus software are up-to-the-minute updated.
    >
    > These look like trojan horses. You had to have invited them in,
    > probably thinking they were a harmless or even useful utility. I
    > don't install anything from the web unless the author has a very good
    > reputation or I'm desperate. And then I turn on all the checkers for
    > awhile to make sure I haven't just shot myself in the foot.
    >
    > I use neither Lookout Distress nor Incontinent Exploder, so I'm
    > immune to the normal avenues of automatic infection. My Win boxes are
    > behind a NAT gateway (Linux, but that's not really relevant, any NAT
    > would be fine) so I'm not subject to infection through some buggy
    > Windows service letting a virus in through a listening port on some
    > service I thought I'd disabled but Windows lied. That means I can run
    > with the AV off 99% of the time.
    >
    > Just because you have a firewall or an AV doesn't mean you should
    > *rely* on them. They're concentric walls of defense, but they're
    > useless once the enemy is behind the walls.

    Good advice to all there, Scratch. I did some more reading about
    these nasties, and sure enough, most of the time they are picked up
    by surfing web sites. Also read that ZoneAlarm is useless as tits on
    a boar hog when it comes to this type of bug.
    I like to surf, so I'll have to run Spybot frequently and keep wiping
    them out. That f00king xxxtoolbar is NASTY- takes over my Favorites
    in the main menu and lists too many perversions to name. Gah!

    --
    {{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2k7i60F181j8mU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > That f00king xxxtoolbar is NASTY- takes over my Favorites
    > in the main menu and lists too many perversions to name. Gah!

    Don't say it too loud, or Bill will incorporate it as a feature in
    Longhorn, to replace Clippy and Bob!

    Now how to infect the entire Middle East with it.... :D
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > OMG- I just ran totally updated scans using all three adware
    > proggies, and Spybot found *52* files (items) that AdAware and
    > Xoftspy DID NOT FIND.

    Just stating the obvious: Did you update Ad-Aware before you scanned
    with it? They don't change the downloadable executable whenever they
    make an update, so it can be several months out of date.

    > I really, really advise you all to go download that. I'm going to
    > donate some bucks to the cause, cuz this man needs to keep this
    > updated and available. But it's freeware, so no need to feel obligated.

    That's what it's all about.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    >> ^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> OMG- I just ran totally updated scans using all three adware
    >> proggies, and Spybot found *52* files (items) that AdAware and
    >> Xoftspy DID NOT FIND.
    >
    > Just stating the obvious: Did you update Ad-Aware before you scanned
    > with it? They don't change the downloadable executable whenever they
    > make an update, so it can be several months out of date.

    Yes, I did! There's a "Check for Updates" button on the main
    screen thingie. I really, really like this Spybot!!

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > I advocate not
    > using HTML in email for the same reason I advocate cutting high grass. It's
    > easy for poisonous snakes to hide in it. It's not because I don't like
    > grass.

    Come to Holland. We have (really digging in the old memory banks here)
    three native snakes, only one of which is mildly poisonous.

    We also have this thing, which is not a snake but a lizard:
    http://home2.planetinternet.be/rv047190/gallery/reptamf/hazelworm.htm
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    > ScratchMonkey wrote:
    >> I advocate not
    >> using HTML in email for the same reason I advocate cutting high
    >> grass. It's easy for poisonous snakes to hide in it. It's not
    >> because I don't like grass.
    >
    > Come to Holland. We have (really digging in the old memory banks here)
    > three native snakes, only one of which is mildly poisonous.
    >
    > We also have this thing, which is not a snake but a lizard:
    > http://home2.planetinternet.be/rv047190/gallery/reptamf/hazelworm.htm

    Oh say, those are pretty!!! I love snakes, too, btw.

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote:

    >Quixote wrote:
    >> The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists hundreds
    >> of known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident program
    >> that blocks adware in real time and prevents unauthorized changes to
    >> the registry.
    >>
    >> Quixote
    >

    > Aha! This is what I need, something to stop it in the first place!
    >
    > As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    >and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    >on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    >is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.
    >
    > And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    >flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.

    Well, just start using Mozilla, Miracle. I only use IE as a fallback
    when I find a site I want/"need" something from and can't get it via
    Mozilla.

    > I'm so happy about that I could just jump up and down and shoot
    >sparks out my ass, she noted wryly.

    I can say from experience that while cool to watch, this is not a
    comfortable nor an enjoyable thing to do.

    OK, so I can't say that, but really, didn't you all expect *SOME*
    response from me on that?

    RagManX
    http://www.gamingideas.com/ - think you can make a better game? Let's hear why.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    >his body were:

    > Quixote wrote:
    >> The latest spybot has an inoculation process that blacklists hundreds
    >> of known threats, and alternatively has a memory resident program
    >> that blocks adware in real time and prevents unauthorized changes to
    >> the registry.
    > As soon as my browser window slows, I know to run AdAware
    > and clean the nasties out. But that's getting tiresome. And I heard
    > on the news today that there's a brand new one running around that
    > is (among other things) a keystroke stealer.
    > And no cracks from you Linux peeps! ;) It exploits a
    > flaw in IE that isn't patched yet.

    There are so many well known exploited flaws in IE that M$ hasnt fixed. I
    know of some that date back to the days of IE2 and 3.

    Also, keyloggers arent new.

Video Games