Recommendation for 32" HDTV LCD panel

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
July 3, 2005 1:24:09 PM

A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>,
I ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the
best out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.

Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in
1 year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to
the Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32"
Aquos is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.

I'll be connecting it via DVI cable to this:

Outlaw 990 Processor
Outlaw 755 amp (5 x 300wpc)
Dual Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofers for LFE goodness
Magnepan MMGs all around
Cheesy Samsung DVD player (upconverts to 720p)

Cheers,

Chris
July 3, 2005 7:07:47 PM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:24:09 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:

>A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>,
>I ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the
>best out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.
>
>Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
>thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in
>1 year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to
>the Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32"
>Aquos is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.
>
>I'll be connecting it via DVI cable to this:
>
>Outlaw 990 Processor
>Outlaw 755 amp (5 x 300wpc)
>Dual Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofers for LFE goodness
>Magnepan MMGs all around
>Cheesy Samsung DVD player (upconverts to 720p)
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris
Checkout the JVC LT32X776. Just started to ship--has ATSC tuner and
cablecard. Looks really great

Dick
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:03:02 PM

In article <XFRxe.6359$t07.3563@fe12.lga>, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net>
wrote:

> A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>,
> I ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the
> best out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.
>
> Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
> thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in
> 1 year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to
> the Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32"
> Aquos is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.

I am using a 32" Syntax. It lists for about $1900 but it is available
for much less. You can even get a $200-300 rebate, although I am still
waiting for mine from February.

--
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]

Robert Peirce wrote:

> In article <XFRxe.6359$t07.3563@fe12.lga>, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net>
> wrote:
>

>>A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>,
>>I ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the
>>best out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.
>>
>>Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
>>thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in
>>1 year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to
>>the Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32"
>>Aquos is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.
>

> I am using a 32" Syntax. It lists for about $1900 but it is available
> for much less. You can even get a $200-300 rebate, although I am still
> waiting for mine from February.

Just remember, the current version (Syntax) does not have an ATSC tuner
but, I think, the Aquos does.
July 4, 2005 3:38:01 AM

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 09:24:09 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:

>A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>,
>I ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the
>best out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.
>
>Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
>thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in
>1 year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to
>the Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32"
>Aquos is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.

the aquos is about the best LCD PQ.

At that price range, you could also think about the commercial panny
42" ED plasma -8UY coming out next month or the Sony 34XBR960 which
just had a price drop to the XS955 level.

I'd call it a toss up between the Aquos and the super size me Panny.

yeah, I know, ED, SDE, blah blah. Still looks GREAT with DVDs.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:50:17 AM

How about looking inot a full on, top rated HD front projector for about
$2200 106" diag HD. You dont get to "jones" your friends with flat
panel, but you have bigger and true HD resolution for less money!

--
charper1, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
July 4, 2005 2:14:39 PM

charper1 wrote:
> How about looking inot a full on, top rated HD front projector for about
> $2200 106" diag HD. You dont get to "jones" your friends with flat
> panel, but you have bigger and true HD resolution for less money!

Unfortunately, a projector isn't practical in this installation or I
probably would have gone that route. I had a chance to do some
comparisons yesterday and I ultimately decided to get the 32" Aquos.

Best regards,

Chris
July 5, 2005 4:56:24 PM

"Ritz" <ritz@mordor.net> wrote in message
>A year or two ago, when I had time for researching these things <grin>, I
>ended up getting a 26" Sharp Aquos as I liked the picture quality the best
>out of all the sub US$3000 panels that were available locally.
>
> Well, now I'm moving to a house with a larger viewing distance and was
> thinking of upgrading to a 32" panel (my how the prices have dropped in 1
> year!!!!). Is there anything out there with better picture quality to the
> Aquos in the same price range these days (about US$2000)? The 32" Aquos
> is available from a local/reputable store (J&R Music World) for $1879.
>
> I'll be connecting it via DVI cable to this:
>
> Outlaw 990 Processor
> Outlaw 755 amp (5 x 300wpc)
> Dual Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofers for LFE goodness
> Magnepan MMGs all around
> Cheesy Samsung DVD player (upconverts to 720p)

> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I'm very happy with my Samsung 32" LCD HDTV. I looked at the Sharp Aquos
and the Toshiba side by side with the Samsung. The Sharp had deeper blacks
but they were blocked up. The Samsung blacks were black but on black
football uniforms I could see the fabric but on the Sharp the fabric was
gone and was just a solid black; the contrast on the Sharp was too high for
me. I've had it 6 months and it is still beautiful. DVD's are terrific and
I use an attic antenna to receive the locals HD ota with an LG 3510a
receiver. I leave the Dlne feature on all of the time for dynamic contrast
control and station to station it is consistent.

BC
!