Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Access is denied full disk or protected error

Last response: in Windows XP
July 15, 2010 7:33:47 PM

I have SP3 on my XP Home edition, just recently went to save some pictures I found on the web. By default, I save them to my desktop then move them around into the appropriate folders for storage. After I save the file (using right click-save as method) I can view the file perfectly on the desktop. However, when I move it into a folder, it gives me the error "Cannot move <example file name>.jpg: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use." This is a recent development, as it was working fine last night. Also, when I attempt to access the files, it brings up the standard windows picture and file viewer, then states no preview available. If I do not attempt to move the pictures from the desktop, they work fine. They also work fine if I save them to a folder, but not move them. Any help is of course appreciated.
July 16, 2010 12:00:24 AM

Possibilities:

- Registry errors
- You own the files because they are located in Documents & Settings <you> (a given)
- You don't own the target folder of a move operation. (target is under another users Docs & settings?)
- You can copy them because you are giving them away. (as far as Windows is concerned)
- The files have more to them than meets the eye (sneaky things can be done with .jpg files)

Where to start? This can get complex and become very long reading. Let's go one step at a time and if the solution presents itself, we can save a lot of unnecessary work.

First, the Registry should be checked & cleaned. Get CCleaner here:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Run this on your registry and try your normal operations again.

Come back and report success/failure.
m
l
July 16, 2010 2:30:24 AM

Unfortunately, could not access safe mode, so at the advice of a local technician, reinstalled windows. However, just did so on the old partition, did not reformat/repartition the hard drive. This allowed me to access windows but not the files as there was an ownership issue. In a long process, finally got most of the programs and files transfered, but not the My Documents folder. I finally found this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp and it was the answer. Thank you for your help.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 16, 2010 3:42:17 AM

Azrael1984 said:
Unfortunately, could not access safe mode, so at the advice of a local technician, reinstalled windows. However, just did so on the old partition, did not reformat/repartition the hard drive. This allowed me to access windows but not the files as there was an ownership issue. In a long process, finally got most of the programs and files transfered, but not the My Documents folder. I finally found this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp and it was the answer. Thank you for your help.

The ownership issue was next and was the long reading I spoke of. I'm pleased that it works and I thank you for coming back to tell us how it worked out.
July 26, 2010 1:47:59 AM

Best answer selected by Azrael1984.
m
l
!