Sign in with
Your question

How do configure 2 soundcards in one machine?

Last response: in Components
March 19, 2008 3:42:35 PM

i want to have my onboard audio for gaming and have my x-fi soundcard for my hifi system.
can anyone explain how this is configured to work with win xp?
March 19, 2008 4:25:55 PM

IF you get them installed and happy at the same time, i'm quite certain that in multimedia settings you can only choose one primary output at a time. So when playing games you go in and choose your onboard, otherwise you set it to onboard.

Is the purpose to go out to two independent sets of speakers, or to adjust for quality as you go? Sticking with just 1 sound card and getting an audio switch box may be simpler.
March 19, 2008 4:43:23 PM

this is so i can use headphones while gaming and still have my house have audio through other speaker systems
Related resources
March 19, 2008 5:34:30 PM

land a card with jack sensing support and case front panel connections. not sure if x-fi will do that, but with the HD Audio codec, it 'senses' a change in the jack so if you plug in your headphones to the front panel connector, it will disable the rear connection entirely until you unplug the headphones and it goes back to normal
March 19, 2008 5:39:44 PM

It is possible, with music and videos using J River Media Center, however it isn't possible with any games that I'm aware of

As a side note, you might be able to configure your headphone jack as your default sound device so the game outputs to that, and then use J River to playback music on the other sound card as it lets you pick your outputs. (Its their multi-zone playback feature)

http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

March 19, 2008 5:40:22 PM

my on-board audio does that now.

my hope is to use the optical audio output on the SB x-fi card to a receiver / HDTV.

i'll look and see in SB supports that.
March 19, 2008 7:00:48 PM

Quote: This addon isnt cheap, but there are directions to make one if you google it. If you plug in your headphones, it will disable your other speaker outputs

rockbyter is half right. I have the Audigy 2 Zs Platinum bay and I have managed to configure it to send headphone output without disabling the speakers plugged into the back of my soundcard (be it Hifi, my TV or PC Surround speakers

Disable the onboard audio - it will be too much hassle having both audio devices installed. Then using your X-fi and the drive bay you can use headphones while having audio through speakers as well.

Once the bay is installed just go to Creative Audio Console (Start ->All Programs ->Creative -> Creative Audio Console. Then go to the Headphone detection tab and untick the option to Optimise 3d effects for heaphones when using headphones and to mute speakers upon headphone jack detection.

You can keep the first option enabled if you want, but if you do, everytime you insert your headphones the speaker setup will change to headphone, and sometimes the headphone 3D effects don't sound so good on external speakers.
March 19, 2008 7:11:37 PM

The X-Fi Fatal1ty cards have an inline 10-pin proprietary connector on them. This is designed so you have to buy Creative's front audio console, that Rockbyter showed the link to. But there is a way around it, so you can plug your computer's front audio panel to the 10-pin connector. You can make or buy an adapter cable that plugs from an AC'97 or HD connector to the 10-pin proprietary connector.

Read here: http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/

Click on the comments at the bottom of the link. Scroll to the bottom of the comments. Mine is the last one.
April 10, 2008 2:52:57 AM

So, i installed a X-fi card and i have both the onboard and x-fi still working technically, but it depends which program i choose.

ALL programs seem to have picked up that i installed a new soundcard except winamp. winamp still uses my onboard audio.

can anyone tell me why and if its possible to switch these settings on-the-fly???
April 10, 2008 3:30:31 AM

I think winamp settings allow you to choose the audio device the same as you can in windows sound settings. been a long time since ive used winamp though.
April 10, 2008 11:31:22 AM

i feel like it must but i cant find the setting.
April 10, 2008 11:56:43 AM

chookman said:
I think winamp settings allow you to choose the audio device the same as you can in windows sound settings. been a long time since ive used winamp though.

Skype also allows you to choose your output device.

In the windows control panel goto sounds and audio devices and check the audio tab to see which sound device is set as the default device.

Windows will push all sound to the default device.

So if you have 2 sound cards in your PC you need tell windows which device you want as your default.

Now to use the other sound card/device the application you are running needs to allow you to choose an audio device either with a config file of by using a setting in the application.

Some TV card software will allow you to choose your audio output device so that you can have windows sound on one and the TV on the other.

I used to use 2 sound cards in my PC, one for music and one for games. my music went to a pair of speakers on the onboard sound card and i used headphones for games on the creative sound card.

Its all about setup and what application/s you are using.

April 10, 2008 12:10:44 PM

JonnyRock said:
Skype also allows you to choose your output device.

In the windows control panel goto sounds and audio devices and check the audio tab to see which sound device is set as the default device.

Windows will push all sound to the default device.

So if you have 2 sound cards in your PC you need tell windows which device you want as your default.

Now to use the other sound card/device the application you are running needs to allow you to choose an audio device either with a config file of by using a setting in the application.

Some TV card software will allow you to choose your audio output device so that you can have windows sound on one and the TV on the other.

I used to use 2 sound cards in my PC, one for music and one for games. my music went to a pair of speakers on the onboard sound card and i used headphones for games on the creative sound card.

Its all about setup and what application/s you are using.

You were doing exactly what i want to do. do you remember what program you were using to play music?
April 10, 2008 12:14:00 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. i got it ALL taken care of

!