Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose a better card, if it's possible pleez!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 2, 2008 2:07:29 PM

Hello, i'm new here to the forum, but have used this site several times in the past and figured I could get some could advice/help......

I am looking to upgrade my current 7900gs graphics card to whatever the next best thing my system can handle until I can do a complete re-build towards the end of this year/or beginning of next (this was my first a couple of years ago, so i'm still kind of learning). Maybe the new 9600? Or any of the 8 series that are better than mine right now? my specs:

Asus p5wd2
P4 3.4 ghz Prescott HT
2 gigs Patriot ddr2-800
PNY 7900gs 256mb
Ultra x-2 550w psu
creative xfi-extreme fatal1ty
windows xp pro

I know some of it is outdated now, but I was hoping there is something better other than my current card that will get me by for the majority of the year until I can build a new pc. I really appreciate any help/advice.......

More about : choose card pleez

March 2, 2008 2:16:19 PM

8800 GTS or a 9600GT would probably be your best bet. Both of those will likely be bottlenecked a little bit by your CPU. But, they would both produce large increases in performance.
March 2, 2008 2:21:14 PM

You say the 9600gt would do fine? That's what I was hoping to hear! Even if it did bottleneck to some extent, would it be far better than the card I have now as far as performance and such? Thanks, and sorry for the questions, i'm still fairly novice with this....
Related resources
!