Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Pro Key but no CD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 15, 2010 8:44:21 PM

Well right now i am sitting on my HP comp that has XP atm i am going to use the harddisc from it on my comp that i am building. Will it be possible to use the harddisc on my new comp without having to install XP again? I tried to ask friends of mine if they have the CD but none have it :( .

More about : windows pro key

July 16, 2010 12:09:25 AM


More bad news... You're going to need the CD.
Keep looking. When you find it, do a "repair" on Windows after the drive is in the new box.
You're building a machine, so I'll assume you know what a repair is, and of course, not to format the drive,
or you'll be using the CD to do a new install. :cry: 
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 12:35:02 AM

+1 @ Tigsounds
Related resources
July 16, 2010 5:41:15 AM

tigsounds said:
More bad news... You're going to need the CD.
Keep looking. When you find it, do a "repair" on Windows after the drive is in the new box.
You're building a machine, so I'll assume you know what a repair is, and of course, not to format the drive,
or you'll be using the CD to do a new install. :cry: 


.... then i will almost need to use Windows 98 untill i find someone with a Windows XP CD .... :sweat: 

And i know what you mean by repair... FML
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 2:33:35 PM

Your HP likely has an OEM version of windows installed on it. Even if you transferred it into a new build, it wouldn't work with the new hardware. You wouldn't be able to activate it. OEM installs are tied to the original hardware that they are installed on.

You probably have a recovery partition on that hard drive. You'd be better off restoring it to factory settings, and selling it as a complete PC with OS installed. You'll get more $$ for it.
July 16, 2010 2:56:11 PM

aford10 said:
Your HP likely has an OEM version of windows installed on it. Even if you transferred it into a new build, it wouldn't work with the new hardware. You wouldn't be able to activate it. OEM installs are tied to the original hardware that they are installed on.

You probably have a recovery partition on that hard drive. You'd be better off restoring it to factory settings, and selling it as a complete PC with OS installed. You'll get more $$ for it.



Well i found this http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/ATW_Librar... will that help my prob?

All i want to do now is just get the harddrive from the comp i am on now and use on the other one dont matter if everything is deleted as long as i can use the harddrive for my new build.
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 3:38:08 PM

That won't work. You'd still need a windows disc. And that is geared for networks with a corporate license.

You can move that hard drive to a new build, but you'll have to purchase a copy of windows.
July 16, 2010 3:39:42 PM

aford10 said:
That won't work. You'd still need a windows disc. And that is geared for networks with a corporate license.

You can move that hard drive to a new build, but you'll have to purchase a copy of windows.



then it must be done.... but anyways i got like the damn CD-KEY on the side of my panel so why cant i just use that? Anyways if i get a CD will what i found work at all?
July 16, 2010 3:43:08 PM

WELL I GOT A CD well ill be getting it from a friend tommorrow yes... ;D
July 16, 2010 3:49:37 PM

venzin said:
Well i found this http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/ATW_Librar... will that help my prob?

All i want to do now is just get the harddrive from the comp i am on now and use on the other one dont matter if everything is deleted as long as i can use the harddrive for my new build.


Everything deleted? Well, new is new.


When all else fails....
It is still possible to purchase a legit Windows XP CD. If you have any legit Microsoft operating system CD, you can save money and get the XP Pro SP2 Upgrade version. It will want to see a MS operating system CD* at the start of setup and then will install XP. It does not demand an operating system be installed for upgrade, just the CD is good enough. *Windows 95, NT, 98, XP Home to upgrade to Pro. Sorry, the Windows 3.1 floppy disks don't qualify.

You may want to obtain a new OEM CD. A discussion of what makes it different is here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=13...

As for the support issue of OEM vs Retail... support? what support?

XP for sale: (But there are other places, Google it)

http://www.nextag.com/microsoft-windows-xp-professional...
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 3:52:44 PM

The problem is OEM system builders (gateway, HP, Dell...etc), often use OEM windows versions. They are cheaper to buy, so the cost of their systems are cheaper (so they say....).

The problem comes, when a customer wants to do exactly what you're trying to do. When an OEM version of windows is activated, that activation is tied to the original hardware (namely the motherboard). If you put it on a new motherboard and try to activate it, it won't work.

Even if you borrow a CD from a friend, your activation key still won't work on a new build. Unfortunate that it is, this is the downside of OEM systems that most customers don't know about.
July 16, 2010 3:56:42 PM


I've never purchased a new OEM CD, yet they are for sale, new. Are these drink coasters? How are they sold?
July 16, 2010 4:03:33 PM

Everything has to be so damn difficult just to save some money :( 
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 4:28:39 PM

If you're going to buy a new copy of windows, I would suggest just getting windows 7. The price isn't that far off from XP.

I've used OEM versions before for customer builds. They can save a decent amount of $$, and allow you to put better hardware in the system. Sometimes you cut where you can.

Windows 7 64 bit OEM:
Home - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Pro - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ultimate - $175
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 64 bit retail (full version, not upgrade):
Home - $155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Pro - $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Ultimate - $275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


If you go the windows 7 route, you can use an upgrade version. However, you need an OS installed on the drive. It can't be on a bare drive.
July 16, 2010 4:31:15 PM

Well i dont live in the US so it wont be cheap here in Norway. Well i just have to use my money.. if my friends doesnt have the code on the CD his giving me anyways.
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 4:45:10 PM

venzin said:
Well i just have to use my money.. if my friends doesnt have the code on the CD his giving me anyways.


If your friend still has that license installed on another PC, it's illegal to install it on yours and activate it. Just a heads up.....
July 16, 2010 4:46:53 PM

aford10 said:
If your friend still has that license installed on another PC, it's illegal to install it on yours and activate it. Just a heads up.....


Yea i know that, his comp crashed so i dont think it will be a worry? Might i end up in jail if i fail?
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 5:42:06 PM

As long as it's not installed on another PC, you're fine. I'm not up on my Norwegian law, so I don't know what would happen.
July 16, 2010 9:05:10 PM

aford10 said:
As long as it's not installed on another PC, you're fine. I'm not up on my Norwegian law, so I don't know what would happen.


I believe that Microsoft has an International Copyright law that prohibits anyone in the US and internationally from using Microsoft products in such a manor. But, you are allowed to share Microsoft products with "Family members" or people dwelling in the same house/home. (just my 2 cents)
a b α HP
July 16, 2010 9:20:50 PM

lazyperson17 said:
I believe that Microsoft has an International Copyright law that prohibits anyone in the US and internationally from using Microsoft products in such a manor. But, you are allowed to share Microsoft products with "Family members" or people dwelling in the same house/home. (just my 2 cents)


Yes, Microsoft has license agreement/restriction. If you violate that, it's piracy. Though, Microsoft isn't the judicial body that would enforce punishment on such a crime. That's where the Norwegian/international law would come into play.

Sure, you can share with your family....if they want to come use your PC. You still can't go installing a single copy license on each of your family members PCs.
July 16, 2010 9:41:10 PM

aford10 said:
Yes, Microsoft has license agreement/restriction. If you violate that, it's piracy. Though, Microsoft isn't the judicial body that would enforce punishment on such a crime. That's where the Norwegian/international law would come into play.

Sure, you can share with your family....if they want to come use your PC. You still can't go installing a single copy license on each of your family members PCs.


All of this is subject to local copyright laws. Just because MS says that an OEM license can't be moved doesn't mean that local laws allow such a provision.

a b α HP
July 16, 2010 11:59:53 PM

OEM licenses can't be moved to new hardware because they won't activate, not because of the copyright law. The COA key won't activate once the install is transferred to new hardware.
July 17, 2010 12:52:59 AM

aford10 said:
OEM licenses can't be moved to new hardware because they won't activate, not because of the copyright law. The COA key won't activate once the install is transferred to new hardware.


There are ways to deal with that problem. But my point was simply that in some places, what he is proposing (transferring an OEM license to another machine) is legal. If he falls into this category, how he chooses to proceed Is his business.
a b α HP
July 17, 2010 3:29:35 AM

That's true....the patent laws vary by country. However, the local country laws don't matter. The forum rules strictly forbid any kind of advice that infringes on copyright, trademark, or anything that promotes illegal activities (country doesn't matter).
July 17, 2010 6:56:35 AM

aford10 said:
That's true....the patent laws vary by country. However, the local country laws don't matter. The forum rules strictly forbid any kind of advice that infringes on copyright, trademark, or anything that promotes illegal activities (country doesn't matter).


What do you mean the country doesn't matter? What is legal in one country is illegal in another. And the differences between countries can be huge. And Microsoft IS bound by these laws if they choose to do business in said country.

If Norway has a first sale provision which applies to software, then the OP CAN transfer an OEM license just as he can move the GPU or cpu or anything else that came with that computer. It would be his right under such a provision.

Now I don't know if Norway has such a law but I encountered some evidence that they might, which is why I brought it up. And advising a poster to examine the copyright laws that apply to him is not encouraging copyright infringement or any other illegal activity.
a b α HP
July 17, 2010 4:49:55 PM

This is a direct quote from the Microsoft EULA.

" Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms. No Rental. You may not rent, lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services to third parties with he Product."

That means the license can be moved, but the hardware has to go with it. It doesn't matter what Norwegian law says. This forum has a Terms of Service, and that states that any violation of license or copyright is in violation of the ToS, and will get you removed from the forum.
July 17, 2010 4:58:40 PM

Well anyways i am going to buy Windows 7 Home Premium. But i didnt really get it i will be removed from the forums?
a b α HP
July 17, 2010 5:09:23 PM

venzin said:
Well anyways i am going to buy Windows 7 Home Premium. But i didnt really get it i will be removed from the forums?


Sorry venzin. That wasn't meant for you. You were being given advice from someone that was in violation of the forum rules.

Buying a new copy of Windows will fix you right up. Best of luck to you!
July 17, 2010 5:11:33 PM

Thank you! I Appreicate the help but my last question do you know a good video/site that help people build a comp its going to be my first build and i dont want to screw up things.
a b α HP
July 17, 2010 5:23:44 PM

There's not really a cookie cutter guide, because all builds are a little different. Your motherboard will come with a manual. Follow that closely. The front panel wiring from the case is usually the trickiest to figure out. Each motherboard port will usually have some notations telling you what it is.

Start by putting the CPU and fan on the motherboard.

Screw the motherboard mounts into the motherboard tray. Pay close attention to the motherboard holes with the silver soldering around them. That's where you want the mounts to line up with. If you get the wrong holes, you can cause a short.

Once the motherboard is in, start installing the PSU, hard drive, video card, optical drives, and other hardware.

Make sure the case front panel wiring is connected following the motherboard manual. Make sure you have the PSU power plugged into the motherboard. Most newer motherboards have a 4/8 pin CPU power near the CPU socket, so don't miss that one.

This is just a quick summary. If you have any problems, you can let us know, and we'll walk you through it. It's usually fairly simple and straight forward.
!