Sign in with
Your question

SCSI hard drives in desktop?

Last response: in Storage
March 24, 2009 11:29:14 PM

Hey guys,

My teacher at school is giving me a couple 74GB 10,000 RPM hard drives from his older server. Can they be put in my gaming desktop?

When I do get them, I want to put them in Raid 0. I have a Gigabyte P45-UD3P motherboard, would I need to purchase any additional hardware?

thanks

a b G Storage
March 25, 2009 7:40:10 AM

Are they actually SCSI, or SAS?

Either one is a pain, SCSI is more of a pain. You'll need a controller card.
a b G Storage
March 25, 2009 7:49:27 AM

Check the drive make and model and what interface they have first, then ask what you need.
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 25, 2009 10:33:34 AM

Might be old Seagate 74 gig SCSI drives, they were common in servers several years ago.
No, they will not simply hook up to your motherboard. You have to have a SCSI RAID controller. If he has the controller card they were plugged into, be sure you get it too. Controller cards are expensive, ($200-$300) for a decent SCSI controller with RAID capability) and if you have to buy one....the old drives are not worth the time or money. You will also need the SCSI ribbon cables.
a b G Storage
March 25, 2009 1:38:07 PM

^+1. SCSI drives can be picky beasts, one reason you never find them in desktop PCs. Installation requires a controller, and there are termination and addressing requirements. Most involve manually setting some jumpers. Get the model numbers and see if Google will find manuals for you.
March 25, 2009 6:50:19 PM

i still like SCSI but just because i spent about 10 years getting to know the technology.

probably, you can guy a Raptor 74 GB 10K rpm for less than the controller card.

if you have a motherboard that has a PCI-X slot, that would help.

my last SCSI system was about $200 for the drive, similar to what you just got.

plus $400 for the motherboard, $200 for the controller, $200 for the case because it was an EATX size motherboard, $200 for the power supply, $50 for the cable, $30 for the terminator ... etc.
March 26, 2009 7:32:09 PM

you can buy scsi raid controllers for dirt cheap on ebay (dell perc4 cards can be found for 30 bux). new they are still somewhat pricy.

also check the connectors on the drive
sca ( 1 big long slot with no separate power connectors) will most likely require a bridge board for each drive to assign the id and provide power and termination capabilities.
68 pin drives should have termination jumpers on them. so all you'll need is the controller and a cable.

id-ing the drive is easy.tart with 0 and work up from there. do no use id 7 as 99% of all scsi controllers use that for thier internal id.
the last drive on the cable farthest away from the controller should be terminated ( by jumper or with a separate termination block) all the rest should not have termination enabled.

if your not using pci-x or pci-e for the raid controller the drives will be fairly slow compared to what you can do with embedded sata raid controllers on most motherboards.

sticking a pci-x controller in a pci slot will work but will be slow.

!