New Gaming Build

I decided to throw away my old build idea and start a new one based around making this system last me well for at least 2 years when I can get a cheaper Peryn and 9800 card.

Main Questions:
1. Will I be able to get the CPU to 4.0Ghz or at least pretty close?
2. Will I need any extra cooling for the motherboard?
3. How Quiet will this system be?
4. Should I stay with double GT's or should get a GTS 512mb/9600gt?

Case
Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS Black 1.0mm SECC Chassis Aluminum Front Bezel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard
ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Cooling System
Freezone CPU Cooler (Factory Refurbished)

Video Card x2
MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Memory
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK

Power Supply
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 ATX12V / EPS12V 800W Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply

Monitor
SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive

Dvd-Drive
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-05

Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD

Edit: Added additional questions and CPU cooler I left out Initially
3 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. Looks pretty good so far and should last you at least the 2 years your aiming for.

Answers to your questions:

1. You may not be able to reach 4.0ghz but you should get a good overclock. I reckon 3.6ghz will be pretty easy as this is what most water cooled systems reach with the Q6600. Anything after that is an added bonus but a quad core @ 3.6ghz is still a very powerful system.

2. I don't know what you mean exactly by 'extra cooling' but no, you don't 'need' any extra cooling. It is possible to position fans close to the motherboard or water cool the north bridge, south bridge etc. but its not really necessary and won't give you any major performance increase.

3. Can't answer this is a lot of detail as I'm not familiar with the case, although I should imagine it will run pretty quiet. I can tell you that the PSU is pretty quiet but thats about all I can confirm. Only thing I would say about the PSU is that I am in the middle of an RMA with my 1300w model. Its a great PSU with all the features and great modular cables but I started to get a buzzing noise even when the PSU is turned off on the back of the unit. The only way of stopping this buzzing is to completely turn off the PSU at the mains, which is pretty impractical to crawl under my desk every time I want the thing to shut up!
    Make sure when you get yours that the first thing you do before wiring it up is plug it in to the mains, with the PSU off on the PSU itself but with the mains off and check for a buzzing noise.

4. Definitely stick with double 8800gt's these are great cards and will last you a long time. Keep in mind that 2 of these is in a way a 9800 GX2 anyway.

Is there any reason why have chosen to go with the 680i not the new 780i which would then let you get a new 45nm cpu?

Hope this helps a bit.
  2. Thanks for the feedback :) My original build was with a Striker II Formula but the way I figure, with 45nm quad-core being as expensive as it is now it probably won't come down to something I can afford for at least a year or more anyway, and by then the new 790i boards will have dropped and hopefully DDR3 as well so I'm holding off on an expensive board now which I might replace anyway.
  3. Ok yep that makes sense. I'm thinking of doing the same with the 790i, just still also waiting for those DDR3 price to drop. I reckon that when the 790i is released, the prices will come down due to both nvidia and intel having DDR3 boards available.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product