Crysis Cuban-Ultima-Doom-Sword's [CCC] 1.31

guys i cant believe it , i have used some of easy and old things like this before ( like the one that are some files that u have to copy them in your folder and the did made a difference) but this one is simply awesome, its alot better than them i have played a little ( i played the first level_the contact_ ) and it looks alot better than before

i tested with my current rig:
E6600 @ 3.2
8800GTX @ ULTRA
4GB RAM

1680x1050 with 0xAA
Min FPS : 18
Average: 20-25
MAX: 63

ran very smoothly

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Yeah man I use it too. Problem is that for me at least I can see a circle around me where the shadows stop and arent drawn in. The shadows pop into view when I move forward

I also play at 1680x1050 with similar speeds but I think you are cutting it short, I would say average for most of the game is 28-35 fps, those 60s come indoors and it does have parts that are really slow for everybody like when there is that snow shader running

SLI obviously not working, but two GT's getting higher frame rates than a 'bigger' card. Using a slower CPU and a smaller PSU to boot. [:mousemonkey:1]

Crysis is just the worst game to benchmark anything around it performs inconsistently with different setups and different cards in SLI or single or Tri SLI even. I think it looks good and single player is pretty fun. But other than that, I feel it was a waste of my money. I like COD4 way more, i had a um... cracked copy to try out to see if I liked it and ordered last night on Amazon for $40 so i can play multiplayer online.

I too am of the opinion that Crysis is a badly coded game but not for the same reasons as yourself perhaps [:mousemonkey:2] , I was having a little dig around its .cfg files and found out that it has a 'default' setting which is 'Ultra' and all other settings are changes to that 'base' setting, and it's a bit like engine tuning, a big carb might be good but have you got the sparks to go with that?, No, I still think the whole 'Ultra' only under DX10 and Fista BS, is just that, big smelly piles of doo doo that Microsux wants you to swallow and Crytek are only to happy to spoon feed to the masses. That said it's still a lovely looking game.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
While it is true that some (maybe most) of the DX10 effects can be enabled under DX9, others can't. For example, object based motion blur (one of my favorite effects) is garbage under DX9. I have also found overall image quality to be slightly lacking under DX9 when compared to DX10. I can't put my finger on it, but DX10 just looks "cleaner." To bad it runs so slow :(

As for these custom configs, they're definitely a "use at your own risk" type thing. I get some serious shadow glitches with this config, and the dynamic wind effects seem to be totally disabled at the "level 4" setting. Not for me, but to each his or her own.

When is Far Cry 2 coming out? I think my misery is based on the fact that FarCry was so great and now we have this thing called Crysis that everyone disputes and argues about and has to crack config files to get higher settings and runs at low FPS but still looks OK doing it and needs an IBM Blue Gene supercomputer to run in DX10 at Ultra settings.

September is slated, but will it be worth the wait?
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/854/854275p1.html

Published by: Ubisoft
Developed by: Ubisoft Montreal
Genre: First-Person Shooter
Release Date:
US: September 2008
Also Available On: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

GDC 2008: Far Cry 2's Dynamic Story
Ubisoft Montreal explains.
by Charles Onyett

US, February 22, 2008 - With Far Cry 2, Ubisoft Montreal is taking a different kind of approach to first-person shooter narrative. The majority of the story is generated in a player's head, along the lines of something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but seemingly more free-from. That's not to say the game is entirely devoid of developer-generated story, but the way you interact with it is largely up to you.

According to narrative designer Patrick Redding, gameplay revolves around a player walking into towns or environmental spaces and playing two factions against each other. As the 50 square kilometer world is explored, you'll wind up taking on missions for each faction, killing NPCs, and generally affecting the game world, all of which impacts your infamy rating.

This rating is important because it's the hinge on which nearly all narrative development swings. It affects how NPCs, both friendly and hostile react to you, how your occasional companion NPCs regard you, and ultimately how much health you have. At Far Cry 2's outset, your character contracts malaria. To diminish the disease's effects and explore more of the game world, you must appeal to civilian NPCs for medicine, which actually increases your maximum health. If you act in such a way that causes your infamy to dramatically rise, you'll notice civilians will start refusing to interact with you, effectively cutting you off from additional medicine and capping your potential health. At that point, you'll have to rely much more on your infamous reputation (and guns, of course) to help you get by.

On inspiration behind Far Cry 2, Redding cited Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness as basis for the sequel, and said said Ubisoft also considered its movie adaptation in Apocalypse Now and the dynamic of, "the false veneer of civility versus the savage truth." The problem with Apocalypse Now is it's a journey up a river. "We're not making a boat simulator," says Redding. Your character in Far Cry 2 is pursuing a Kurtz-type character, but the journey isn't meant to be so constrained.

A main goal for Ubisoft is, particularly in a game where it's impossible to predict how a player might behave, to maintain Far Cry 2's continuity. First, they have to capture the players' attention, then they have to make sure the player doesn't see the artificial seams of how they've blended scripted and dynamic content. It's not so much about having scripted events in specific locations, but instead having a lot of generic behaviors that can be used in many different places in lots of different ways. Redding calls them bricks of micronarrative. "For us the story isn't just about the data, it's really about the system that we are going to have to sit underneath the game and manage the delivery of that."

For Redding, the most powerful stories are the ones created in players' heads. He likened story structure to an island, where the island's shallows surrounding the beach will arouse in the player a curiosity to continue toward land and see what's there, to draw them away from the artificial boundaries of the game world. "You need to decouple premise from story," says Redding. "[the premise] that's been plastered on the back of the box [players] forget about that after probably an hour after turning on the console."

As a side note, Redding also encouraged those in attendance to "be stochastic" on several occasions, which has to break some kind of world record for number of times any one person on earth has spoken the word inside of an hour.

There ya go, a straight forward thieve of the article for your reading pleasure. [:mousemonkey]

It sounds like it might be kinda cool. Hopefully the multiplayer is great. That adds alot for me to a game. If i can't play it online and with friends and it be fun, I won't even buy it for the single player.

Crysis was a let down, but then again wasn't really a sequel to Far Cry. I hope they keep what they did good in Far Cry, maybe make it better on certain levels. I didn't like the single player of FarCry all that much so a change might be good. The multiplayer did make it shine so the shouldn't tweak it TO much.

It's a little thing but I really was annoyed that in Crysis you have to hit "F" to pick up any weapon. FarCry you just ran it over unless you were full and then had to hit "j" to drop one. For fast pace games i want to run over the gun and have it in hand.