TOT- For Spanner

Arctic Fox Found in Ship's Trash Bin

Fri Jun 25, 3:15 PM ET

SEATTLE - An arctic fox that apparently survived on garbage
for two weeks after becoming an inadvertent stowaway on a ship
will be displayed at a zoo, officials say.

The blueish brown fox is believed to have boarded the ship during
a port stop in the Aleutian Islands. An employee found the animal in
the vessel's trash bin after it arrived at a shipyard last month.

"The first thing I thought was, 'Boy he's been in here awhile,'" said
Cooter Whitaker, a Samson Tug and Barge terminal manager.

Woodland Park Zoo curator Dana Payne (news - web sites) said
the animal will be the zoo's first arctic fox. About 45 of the animals
are found in North American zoos, she said.

The stowaway is "not shy about people," appears to be elderly
and likely would have difficulty surviving in the wild, Payne said. It
has been quarantined to determined if it has rabies, but could make
its public debut by Labor Day.

The fox has gained weight since its arrival on a diet of frozen mice
and quail, and had surgery to remove a lump on his side, zoo officials
said.

Adult arctic foxes are about 3 1/2 feet from the nose to the tip of the
tail, weigh 6 to 10 pounds and are found in tundra and treeless coastal
areas of North America, Iceland, Greenland, Scandinavia and Siberia.

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
2 answers Last reply
More about spanner
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<2k4n78F179l15U1@uni-berlin.de>...
    <snip>

    Hee hee, thanks Miracle.

    Long story, the only access to Usenet for posting that I have is
    currently Google, which is very annoying :) Anyway I'm going to work
    on Tuesday, Yay! Well, not like I post all that often anyway :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Spanner wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > news:<2k4n78F179l15U1@uni-berlin.de>... <snip>
    >
    > Hee hee, thanks Miracle.
    >
    > Long story, the only access to Usenet for posting that I have is
    > currently Google, which is very annoying :) Anyway I'm going to work
    > on Tuesday, Yay! Well, not like I post all that often anyway :)

    Hey! Long time no see! {{{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}}}
    Where are you headed? You gonna take some pictures for me?
    :D

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

Arctic Video Games