Sign in with
Your question

AB9: Won't accept mem above 2GB?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2008 12:12:20 PM

My AB9 with 2GB (2x 1GB) Corsair PC2-6400 800MHz memory is quite well behaved under normal circumstances (Vista 32bit).
However, on numerous occasions I have tried to add more memory, but even if I add another 1GB stick of exactly the same kind of the others, the whole system becomes unstable and crashes (terribble TERRIBLE crashes, where a really loud and high pitched noise gets emitted from the speakers, before freezing the PC, making me jump out of my skin). Neither slot 3 or 4 works.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could try?

More about : ab9 accept mem 2gb

April 13, 2008 12:14:50 PM

PS: The board is running the latest BIOS.
April 13, 2008 5:32:47 PM

1. Try increase ddr voltage from bios.
April 13, 2008 6:55:34 PM

Naujoks said:
My AB9 with 2GB (2x 1GB) Corsair PC2-6400 800MHz memory is quite well behaved under normal circumstances (Vista 32bit).
However, on numerous occasions I have tried to add more memory, but even if I add another 1GB stick of exactly the same kind of the others, the whole system becomes unstable and crashes (terribble TERRIBLE crashes, where a really loud and high pitched noise gets emitted from the speakers, before freezing the PC, making me jump out of my skin). Neither slot 3 or 4 works.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could try?

Hmm...well my AB9 Pro accepts the 4 1gb sticks of memory. They are 2 similar G. Skill sticks. Same timings/speed, but one requires more voltage than the other so I have to overvolt slightly to 2.1v in order to stabilize the system. Everything runs fine now. I am not sure about yours, but I would try to increase the voltage. Also, try replacing your 2 sticks that you know are good now with the new sticks and test those to see if they are actually good sticks of ram.

Best,

3Ball
April 13, 2008 11:08:41 PM

Just to try it again I bought another stick of 1GB of exactly the same kind I have 2GB in there already. When I put just the new 1GB in there, the memory test at the beginning would hang at a certain address. So I thought that one might be faulty. However, earlier today I put that in a different PC, and in there it was running without any problems... I have no idea what that could mean.
April 13, 2008 11:19:43 PM

Since memory manufacturers change their modules all the time, often without changing the part number, the 1GB stick you tried is *not* "exactly the same" as what you have in there.
Also, seeing if the system will boot or not is not a very useful memory test -- try memtest86+, which is freely available for download. First, test the system with just your current two RAM modules and make sure they are really working OK.
What is the exact model number of the RAM you have in there, and what is the model number of the 1GB 3rd stick you tried?
!