is a DVD/CD Rom faster at reading then a DVD/CD Burner? First Build-

Grundalizer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I am building my first computer, and am slowly getting the parts together. I have a quick question on my first build regarding the speed at which game discs can be read.

I am buying a SAMSUNG drive on here, 20x DVD burner that people have recommended, but I am wondering about a second drive for reading my game discs fast.

I figure a burner gains the ability to burn, but at some cost to reading speed, which for loading games and watching DVD's might make a difference. I was wondering if it is generally a good idea to buy a second, NON burner rom, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. thanks

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Having a second DVD reader has little benefit. Read times if equal between a reader or writer are equal.

But. Always an ass (butt) somwhere hehe. If you plan to use a DVD a LOT for non-burning purposes then using the lifespan of a DVD reader instead of a quality DVD burner has some merit. What about a HD (Blueray) burner/reader instead of just a DVD burner?

Hmmm... I'd rather get a $30 burner than a $20 reader. So what if the burner will only last 3 years because I use it a lot to read stuff? The technology changes fast, and in 3 years I might want a new burner anyway. I've already given away two perfectly good burners that worked a lot for both burning and reading. They were still good after 5 and 3 years respectively. I just didn't want them in my new PC because they were IDE.