Please Help Cant overclock cpu in bios

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
  • BIOS
  • CPUs
Last response: in Overclocking
September 23, 2008 3:34:22 AM

I am using an MSI K9N6GM motherboard and when i go into bios to raise my cpu setting it is locked and i cant change my settings to overclock it, is anybody familiar with this motherboard or does anyone know how i can fix this problem to get in the setting it says its set at default and it's listed in grey font, so how do i change the default settings so i can get into my cpu to overclock it?

Thank you,

More about : overclock cpu bios

September 23, 2008 3:58:13 AM

I did a google search and it seems most people can't OC, I think they locked the bios. Sorry to tell you that but MSI isn't really known for OCing anyway. You could try a newer bios and see if they unlocked it if you want.
September 23, 2008 4:04:28 AM

Thank you faster3200 thats what i thought it was a cheaper build just for web surfing anyways.
Related resources
September 23, 2008 4:07:34 AM

Is it possible to add a different bios? i did upgrade this bios about 2 hours ago and it still was the same locked, but can you actually download a whole different bios to the motherboard and how would it be done and which one would be good to download?
September 23, 2008 6:03:13 AM

You can only install a bios made specifically for your mobo.
September 23, 2008 7:06:53 AM

If it's a low end motherboard chances are the bios is soldered onto the motherboard instead of socketed
September 23, 2008 1:15:21 PM

kg4icg said:
If it's a low end motherboard chances are the bios is soldered onto the motherboard instead of socketed

When I said install I didn't mean physically replace, I just meant flash. I think he knew what I was talking about as I haven't seen anybody physically replace their bios in the past 3 years.
September 24, 2008 5:45:25 PM

faster3200 said:
When I said install I didn't mean physically replace, I just meant flash. I think he knew what I was talking about as I haven't seen anybody physically replace their bios in the past 3 years.

Hey i brought back that MSI mobo last night and got a cheaper ASUS board the M2N-MX SE PLUS, not the best mobo ASUS makes and cheap, but is capable of slight overclocking and out performs that junk MSI board by far.
September 24, 2008 6:00:26 PM

Cool, I am glad everything worked out for you. I hope you like your new mobo.
!