Installed Sapphire HD 3850 AGP and now no games play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeboth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I just replaced my old Radeon 9800XT Pro video card with a Radeon (Sapphire) HD 3850 512 MB AGP card so I could play Bioshock and other new games. I removed the newer ATI Catalyst control center and installed the one that came with the new video card as well as the new driver. Now when I boot up after the Windows splash screen but before I see the desktop my screen flashes from black to grey a few times then finally loads the desktop. If I try to play Bioshock I get a windows error screen that says Bioshock.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. When I try my Half Life 2 game it just wont open and throws me back to the desktop. When I try Call Of Duty 4 it says something like DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error and throws me out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled newer drivers from both ATI And Sapphire with no luck. Also when I'm on web pages (Like this one) I can't scroll down smoothly anymore the screen kind of jumps down refreshing itself as I scroll. Any ideas?

mikeboth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Yes. That's one of the ones I tried with no luck. I also tried a newer one from Sapphire that said it was specifically for the AGP version but that did not help either.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Try going into Catalyst control centre and check all the settings for allow the application to control.

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004

I have a 3.2 Northwood on an Intel 865 PERL motherboard and it works great. I've tried both the drivers and CCC that came on the disk and the drivers on the web site at:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

Either work on my system running XP Pro SP2.

You may want to look at your power supply - to have a reliable system with these cards, I would recommend at least a name brand PS of at least 450 watts with at least 30 amps on the 12 Volt rail, the higher the better. What brand of PS do you have and what are is its outputs, total and 12V?

zhaf

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
oh you might just be screwed by sapphire and ATi. I bought the agp HD2600XT from sapphire last November and still haven't got it to run properly. First the driver support for ATis agp cards are slim and none. Second you've got to check if your motherboard supports the newer cards. Mine didn't so I got screwed. I can't return my card to the store because it has been too long since I bought it. So update your motherboard bios asap and do a clean install of windows with the new drivers. If it won't work then just return the card and get yourself a older card. DON'T ever listen to ATi when they say "it will be fixed with the next drivers" because they won't!
Sapphire support board doesn't help much either with an arrogant bastard replying to in the support threads telling people that it's their own fault not sapphires. All the threads will eventually end up with "file a complain to ATi".

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Since ATi were taken over by AMD, everything always seems to made to sound groundbreaking, but rarely ever is.

Look at the Phenom's for a start, I remember a 10 minute long video released by AMD bragging about how much better their True Quad Core architecture was over the Intel design, and how much better the performance would be over Intel's etc etc.

Then when it's released, their highest spec Quad Core part cant compete with Intel's lowest end Quad core.

AMD say's.... We're working on it

Sound much like ATI????

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Well part of the issue is that ATI doesn't actually make the AGP cards. All these other companies are using their chipsets and making them AGP. Not to say it wouldn't be nice if ATI supported all their cards (even 3rd party ones). BUt, it is the responsibilty of the card mfg to make sure there are drivers that work with it.

What was the last AGP card that ATI actually produced... I think it was a varient of the x1600.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

This is true. But, the 3850 cards could be a good final step for the many higher end Pentium and AMD x2's (skt939) that have an AGP slot.

But, if you have a low end CPU (like older P4s, lowend AMD 939/754 or Athlon XPs), this could be a waste of money. These low end CPUs just can't feed a card like this enough data to make use of it's speed. Your CPU would be a bottleneck and would hinder any sort of gains you would expect to see.

Everyone on AGP does need to consider finally making the jump to PCI-e. I just did it and I will say that I am extremly pleased that I finally did it. It didn't cost me an arm and a leg, either. I reused a lot of my components in my PC (HDs, DVD, case, PSU) and was able to jump to a decent system for under $300.

Athlon x2 4000+ (that I was able to OC to about 2500 mhz)
2 Gig DDR2800 Corsair XMS2
A nice ECS mobo that has proven to be really stable.
XFX 8600 GT XXX (that also OC's very nicely)

Jugo80

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I just bought a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP 512 MB card today after hearing it was a good card from a friend. I started looking at the reviews today, and came found a few posts like these. I do not plan on buying a new computer any time soon, so a PCI-e upgrade isn't really an option.

Basically, is it worth the $170 or should I just return it and suck it up with my ATI 9600 256MB? I don't remember the specs for my computer off the top of my head, but I'm at 2GB of PC3200 RAM, a P4 2.0 and Windows XP (not sure which service pack).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

soga

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I have a abit Ai7 board 2.8 c ram OCZ PC4000 POWER SUPPLY IS CORSAIR 750 tx
AND i TRYED THIS NEW SAPPHIRE 3850 512 MB AGP, THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING is
it boots to were you syng on and then reboots. all new drivers. i', using the ati 8.6 drivers with my old card. to find help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS