Why bother ... the chip runs like ice and overclocks to 3 plus gig without a voltage increase.

Find the sweet spot and lock it in and enjoy it.

Lapping a cpu is beyond enthusiast ( I assume you mean taking the IHS off first and lapping the cpu die) ... your in a world on your own.

A very delicate world :)

4GHz is the w/Vcore boost. 3.6GHz is the no Vcore boost norm.

Lapping is normally just sanding the IHS flat and the HSF as well.

For the OP, usually it can make it roughly 2-3c cooler. But that depends on your luck.

G

Also depends on how concave the CPU actually is.

Some 65nm chips were pretty concave and saw better increases. Others were already pretty flat.

Put a razor blade up to your chip to see how flat it is. If you can see that it is pretty concave, you may be able to lower temps a few degrees.

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Anything I should be aware of while lapping a cpu? I have a HR-1 PLUS 6 HEATPIPE thermalright and I did lapped it to a mirror finish... Also using a ULTRA 90 for nb and sli HR-1 for sb (lapped also just to be flat)... All this are for DFI LP LT X38 MB....

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

I have E8400 3.0 overclock to 3.6 with no voltage increase but many people say it will be voided once it get overclock in any way and I have an OEM CPU how that affect my warranty?

Is static will not be a problem if I lapped a cpu (planning to wear a latex gloves and cover the cpu connector with paper then tape)