Sign in with
Your question

HP A850Y Pavilion gaming graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2008 12:33:26 AM

I wish to buy a new upper end gaming graphics card for my wife's A850Y Pavilion. Currently have an EGForce 7600GT and the screen colors are beging to turn pink with some other crazy video stuff going on. I had previously purchased an ATI1950 but when installing found out the overall length of the card wouldn't permit installation (it hit against the 12 pin power plug). Luckly the company I ordered it from gave me a full refund. What is a good upper end card that will fit in this machine.

Thanks
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2008 1:28:35 PM

What are the specs on your Power Supply? I am assuming it is still stock? is it AGP or PCI-E? You have to watch those stock PSU's since they do not rate to high.

You might have issues with higherend cards, they tend to be long. What sort of gaming are you going to be doing? Could you also measure the clearance you DO have for a card?
March 3, 2008 7:22:35 PM

650watt PS, Sims 2 and eventually Sims 3 when it's released. PCI-E, from what I can determine I don't have room for the 9" card which I have been told are most of the higher end cards. Looking for a real good card that will fit and work well. Although most cards work for the application you loose some of the visuals while using medium to lower end cards.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2008 7:34:35 PM

Heres a link to your mobo http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00... yes it does have a pci slot. What Id suggest, is to measure the distance from the back up to the 12 pin, then see if you can find the lengths of cards thaat youd like. Most or alot of reviews state the dimensions for these cards. Heres a few to check on : 8600GTS, 2600XTand maybe the 9600GT. See if you can find the dimensions. Also go to the cards makers sites, like sapphire or HIS or EVGA XFX they SHOUD give the dimensions
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 4, 2008 2:59:21 PM

Can you "modify" the case to accomidate?
!