Chiphell.com has released RV770's every single detail!!!!

xkm1948

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
BREAKING NEWS! RV770 IS ON ITS WAY!!

1. The core speed of RV770 is higher than RV670(3870), however, it has not reached 1000MHz yet.
2. The memory that this baby gonna use will be GDDR5
3. Die size of RV770 is 250 mm^2
4. Both US Sharders and TMU units will be as twice as RV670's. Perherps even more.
5. It will lanuch in May.

Sounds really exicting, huh? :D

Iscabis

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I am certainly looking forward to it. I just read bunch about the new innovations being used with it, and it does sound pretty exciting!

Iscabis

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
VR-Zone never seems too trustworthy .. but I hope these specs are true.... as it'll push nVidia to bring out what the real power users desire :)

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Twice the shaders and TMUs?

Blimey. Id settle for 50% more shaders and 100% more TMUs though. Thats where the r600 & rv670 are falling short ihmo.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Great news if its true. If this comes in May then its realy great news for AMD. This would put a hudge crunch on Nvidia and create some super great deals for consumers for sure.

Why are they conflicting?

The RV670 would compete where it currently competes, the mid range, except it would probably move lower, then the RV770 competes for the higher mid range or low hanging high end GTS-512 fruit, and then a potential R700 would compete with whatever other upper high-end is there.

I don't give creadance to rumours other than for discussion purposes, but the possibility of these products doesn't cause conflict anymore than the G92 eliminated the GF8800Ultra etc. There's room for all of them especially if the RV770 is anywhere near 50+% more powerful.

Personally I'll wait for the real deal, but it would be nice if this were true especially with regards to the TMUs (although I'd like to see improved address ratios too).

Either way, a long way off before anything solid, until then it's interesting to consider the implications of the hardware changes.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Color me skeptical, but GDDR5? :lol:

Well GDDR4's main issue was the cost of getting the high end 1.8V modules, not the slower 1.5V modules.

With GDDR5 you get the benefit of much higher speeds, lower power consumption, and lower heat. They've been sampling it since before December with 1.8(3.6)Ghz modules running at 1.5V. Faster modules means less need for wire traces and transistors required for higher bitwidth support that would be required to equal that overall bandwidth, this reduces the cost of the chip and the cost of the PCB if you can support GDDR5.

Also they are increasing the transfer size and they are moving to larger single chips with 1Mbit at launch and 2Mbit already testing. That would mean less chips required for the same memory size.

Currently GDDR4 needs to be power hungry and fast for the high end, and the extension of GDDR3 meant the minor benefits GDDR4 were outweighed by it's shortage at the higher speeds. That's why it was cheap and plentiful at 1.5V on the lower end cards, but expensive and rare for the higher end cards wanting the 1.8V modules.

The other nice thing about GDDR5 is there isn't much additional tweaking to the hardware required to add GDDR5 support to something that already supports GDDR4 they designed it that way to ease adoption.

So for lower power, lower cost, lower heat, but faster speeds sounds good to me. If nVidia can get over their wire noise issues they'll be happy to skip past GDDR4 and go straight to GDDR5.

I think that the R700 is going to have a release date much later than May. I am thinking maybe July or August. And I just say that because of the news of AMD doing a revision of the HD38XX series. The current RV670 series is known as A11. The new revamped faster RV670 series will be known as A12 and will be released in April or May.

If the release date of the R700 was in May then why would AMD even bother to do a remake of the 38XX series with in that same time period?

April]http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6015&Itemid=65
/ May for R12 revision

The new RV670 revision A12 will make enough space for a new version of 3870. The new Radeon 3870 with revision A12 chips will work at faster clocks and should score better than existing cards.

The other thing that we can report is that it is expected in April to May time frame, which clearly indicates that the R700 family will launch a bit later than that.

The story behind the RV670 chip is that the current A11 revision that was launch back in November was not supposed to be the launched, but it was the first A11 silicon that ATI managed to ship. Usually by ATI, A12 silicon is the launched one, but for a change something went well in DAAMIT.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

So that's it, wire noise issues. What exactly does that mean?

I think this was covered a few posts back;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249091-33-chiphell-released-rv770-single-detail#t1795040

Remember they wouldn't fight for the same segment at least not at first until you had significant amounts to start crippling them. It also averages out the costs further for the HD3K series.

Launching a faster RV670 would still give people in the $125-200 segment something worth buying in both faster HD3850 and 3870 replacements, while letting the RV700 compete for the $200-400 segment and the R700XT compete for the $400+ segment, which at first would likely gobble up all production.

No reason to keep avoiding the high-end if you think you can bring something worthwhile to market.

Also the RV770 should have similar performance but lower cost compared to an HD3870X2. So it makes alot of sense to go that route.

With the way that nVidia uses a traditional memory bus interface it focuses all the wire traces into a very tight space where they contact the chip on the pcb, and this proximity of ever smaller wires going to ever smaller memory interfaces increases wire cross-talk. Due to the GDDR4's requirement for low signal noise (to allow for those higher speeds) it means your tolerances are very tight. ATi's ringbus helps combat this by spreading out the interface around the chip and at multiple points.

So far the major reason I've heard for no GDDR4 in the nV cards has been the signalling issues, and it does make sense. Especially since the GDRR4 production/cost drawbacks wouldn't have been apparent during the design development stage. It makes it a wise hindisght decision, but wouldnt have made it a good decision to limit options, unless there was a reason.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

It could be around august I reckon, but ATI will want to get into the market with their new products before Nvidia does, and generally having played second fiddle for just over a year they will be trying to get to release as fast as possible imho. I dont think we'll see the launch date blow right out to september/october time.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

cheers for that, found that interesting.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
no... that's too late... I think it's more AMD who is behind schedule... ATI seem to be doing their thing now, like back in the good old days :).

any word on if these cards can Xfire with the current (and A12) gpus? i think not...