4x9800GX2: will it overheat? - page 2

87 answers Last reply
  1. Will this do any better? 2kw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101033 8 pci-e connectors but doesn't say how many are 8s.
  2. Hopefully for the OP he gets this message, but in my case I have a 115v DC 3'' fan that blows out godly amounts of air. Maybe he should look into something similar?

I'm seeing my fan (IMC Pewee boxer by NMB tech) as well as many more powerful ones at this site.
    http://www.blowerwheel.com/fans-cooling-electronics-framed-square.htm

IDK if some of those fans REALLY blow 80CFM, but I know my fan used to turn all my other exhausts into intakes for a while.

edit: *drool* http://www.lytron.com/tools_technical/fittings_fans_pumps/tarzan.aspx
  3. LAN_deRf_HA said:
    Will this do any better? 2kw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101033 8 pci-e connectors but doesn't say how many are 8s.

To quote an episode of Family Guy, that thing "is the height of Just-Too-Muchery."
  4. Hi guys,

Just a quick update, as I am currently travelling: the beast has been built!
    It appears to work (I mean boot, run standard benchmarks), although we have not yet tested its supercomputing abilities yet.

Expect pictures somewhere next week :)
  5. I'm looking forward to this :sol:
  6. I'm sorry to keep you waiting, but there will be some delay (probably about 2-3 more weeks) due to other urgent work issues. I will keep you posted. Just to show that the whole thing is for real, here

is a picture of the components used (although one graphics card is missing on the picture) :)
  7. That is truly awesome.

Just a warning, I read a review of that PSU stating that it cannot actually deliver the rated amount of power without overheating. Not that you will be drawing 1500W, but I just thought I'd let you know.
  8. homerdog said:
    That is truly awesome.

Just a warning, I read a review of that PSU stating that it cannot actually deliver the rated amount of power without overheating. Not that you will be drawing 1500W, but I just thought I'd let you know.

If that doesn't draw 1500W what does? Please share this review with us. I'd like to see their test equipment that pulls 1.5kW.
  9. Finally, it took me forever to find it: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/04/16/thermaltake_toughpower_1500w_w0171_psu/1

Apparently it gets REALLY hot under high load, which I suppose is to be expected when it's trying to dissipate ~230W of heat.

According to this review it also seems to have some nasty ripple, especially on the +3.3V rail.

Edit: I still think it should suffice, but make sure there's a lot of airflow.
  10. go with thermaltake armor+ that has 10 slots.
    for the dual PSU
    Drill a hole in the top of 3cm wide for cable to pass through
    one PSU will sit inside,
    one above him in the out side.
    the outside one- tie him with straps & connect a cable form one screw hole to one screw hole in the case for Ground.
    connect both of the PSU via a dual PSU adapter.
    you can bulit one by connecting the 1 green & 1 black wires from the PSU in the inside (we'll call him the main one) to the slave one.
    this way they'll turn on & off together.

i did it for a long time with 2 simple PSU's till i got a good 500W PSU.
    works great.
    i got pics if you need to see what i meant.
    email me at z_dori@zahav.net.il & i'll send you.
  11. Drooling. Waiting for results.
  12. OK, there are three scenerios that have occured:

1) The parts have not been assembled/tested do to lack of time/resources/additional parts. (Which would make me very sad)

2) You have been playing with the new equipment so much you haven't had time to update us on the goings-on.

3) Upon first powering on the computer you took down your local sub-station and have been in a complete backout ever since and therefore cannot update us since you don't have access to a computer and power.

Please let us know which of the three have ACTUALLY occured.
  13. KyleSTL said:
    OK, there are three scenerios that have occured:

1) The parts have not been assembled/tested do to lack of time/resources/additional parts. (Which would make me very sad)

2) You have been playing with the new equipment so much you haven't had time to update us on the goings-on.

3) Upon first powering on the computer you took down your local sub-station and have been in a complete backout ever since and therefore cannot update us since you don't have access to a computer and power.

Please let us know which of the three have ACTUALLY occured.

Yeah, come on. i want my pictures!!!!
  14. Pictures, temperatures, power consumption, all these items I've been curious about since this thread started.
  15. I'm sorry to keep you waiting so long!

The truth is, we are currently working around the clock to finish a website about the system, what it can do, what we use it for, etc.

But before the official launch (hopefully next week) I won't be allowed to tell you if either

(1) the system exploded after we turned the power on (as some people expected)
    (2) the system works, but we found out that the configuration is utter nonsense (as some others predicted)
    (3) the system works perfectly and we achieved supercomputer performance with a single PC...

Sorry for the current NDA period; it's really hard to keep my mouth shut at this point :)
  16. Pictures? (they're worth a thousand words if that's not covered by the NDA)

I think the NDA makes me all the more excited to see it/hear about it. :)
  17. No comment! :)
  18. Hi guys, it took a long time, but I will finally be able to report back to you on the result of this thread. Next Wednesday (May 28th), we will launch a website on our GPU system, with lots of information on the background of our application, system specs, benchmarks, etc.

Stay tuned! :)
  19. more more more....faster faster faster...
  20. I wonder if that PSU can handle four GTX 280s. Now that would be a sight :)
  21. OK! The time has now come to end your suffering :)

Checkout our superPC at http://fastra.ua.ac.be. Enjoy!

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your invaluable comments and suggestions. We couldn't have done it without you ;-)
  22. WoW!! Nice!!
  23. Pretty impressive....
  24. Very nice.
  25. Quote:
    wow thats awesome bro great work... now all you need to do is build a small cluster of those fastras ;)

I think a line about that also slipped into the press release http://fastra.ua.ac.be/en/press.html, so I guess we are obliged to do it now, huh? :wahoo:
  26. thats pretty incredible

congradulations
  27. I've read through about 1/3rd of this thread before skipping to the reply, so pardon me if I suggest something that has already been suggested.

On most of the standard PSUs I've encountered, there is a green wire on the 20/24 pin motherboard power connector. Short this pin to ground (any of the black wires) and the PSU powers up.

Let's assume you've got 3 PSUs in there - a decent one for the motherboard (PSU1), a smaller one for HDDs, DVD drive, whatever (PSU2), and a HUGE one for your graphics cards (PSU3). Link the green wires on PSU2 and PSU3 to the green wire on PSU1. You will also have to link one of the black wires on PSU1 to PSU2 and PSU3. Once you've done this, when you press the power button, the motherboard will switch on all three PSUs, even though it's only drawing power from one. [/guess who's done this numerous times]

The above recipe may be modified for as many power supplies you want to use - I've seen a setup (a fairly impressive Crossfire system with about four fully-populated RAID adapters attached to it) with six power supplies - a big one on the motherboard and graphics cards, one small one per four disk RAID array, and another small one for the fans, lights and watercooling.

Personally, four your setup I'd suggest 4x power supplies (one per two cards, one for the motherboard, one for the HDDs/DVD/fans). I have no idea what kind of power consumption you'll be dealing with, and also bear in mind that a high-quality 600W PSU is a hell of a lot cheaper than a middling-quality 1,000W PSU. Hell, TWO 600W PSUs are probably cheaper than a single 1,000W. Another bonus is if a power supply kaks, replacement cost is pretty heavily reduced.

This is also a personal experience I've had with multi-PSU rigs - if a PSU blows, the only thing that happens is the item drawing power from it usually just stops functioning until the PSU is replaced.

Only problem you'll have with 3 or more PSUs is - where to put them? Referring back to that hectic RAID system with 6 PSUs, the primary (attached to motherboard) was in the normal place, and the other five were fitted into a separate steel box that ended up getting bolted to the bottom of the case. (Most people that see this thing think that the bottom of the case holds a UPS...)

Apropos of which - with the high cost involved in this system (and this is probably unnecessary to add), run a UPS or two.

Hope this helps!
  28. Mugz said:
    I've read through about 1/3rd of this thread before skipping to the reply, so pardon me if I suggest something that has already been suggested.

Thanks a lot for your input! However... the system has already been built :wahoo:

Take a look at http://fastra.ua.ac.be for the result.
  29. That is incredible. Thanks for the update.
  30. Now thats power.
  31. Very cool!
  32. First time I've wanted to molest a computer. Nice one!
  33. Why they don't use four 3870X2 instead of 9800GX2 ?
    I mean, 3870X2 has more raw processing power that 9800GX2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9800-gx2-review,1792-4.html
    as we can see ATI got ~ 1TFlop while 9800GX2 has 768 GFlops !
    So, if it is not for playing games, why they don't use 3870X2s !?
  34. Short story is basically that CUDA (which they need to use) is nvidia only.

CUDA = Nvidia
    Stream Computing = ATI
  35. yeah that's what i was going to say when i saw that title, good one kjoost, it is an amazing machine.
  36. nukemaster said:

Gotta say it again... Wow!! Nice!! Go GPU Power!! Well.. for Cuda's part. :D

And it's an MSI setup, with a phenom. :lol:. o O (MSI/phenom bashing comments going through my mind atm)

But it's truly amazing when you build something specific for the right job. [:turpit:2]
  37. Thanks for all the nice words! The whole team is delighted about the outcome of all this :pt1cable:

In other news...

We have also reached the frontpage of slashdot today!
    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&sid=08/05/31/1633214
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product