Sign in with
Your question

Screen Width

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 3, 2008 6:26:22 PM

Hello there:

I've got an older (3-4 year?) 19 inch Envision CRT monitor. This is running on an older machine using an NVIDIA GeForce Ti4200 AGP card. I use this at work to write memos, do spreadsheets, email, etc. Running XPSp2 with latest updates.

I've begun to notice that more and more of the web sites that I use require more width than my monitor seems to accommodate. I've got to use the slider at the bottom of the screen to move the viewing area back and forth to go from one end of the line to the other. A full screen of print overflows from one side to the other.

I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that I'm using an old fashion monitor and not one of the wide screen type or, have I just improperly set one of the variables on my card or in my system? How do I (or can I) get the viewing area on my screen back down to filling the whole screen width without making the whole page physically smaller (changing the resolution) or without having to reduce the size of type, or without having to use the slide at the bottom of the screen? I'm getting older and I find that a larger type size is better than smaller. My screen resolution is now set at 800x600. What I'd really like to do is limit the length of the line to a particular number of characters and have the system reformat the pages to fit.

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

More about : screen width

March 3, 2008 6:46:28 PM

You might have set the resolution higher. If you like the larger type font there are things that you can do to adjust that without changing the resolution of your screen. You can usually go into properties and change the size of your icons and front.

In Internet Explorer you can go into View or Page-Text Size-Smallest to Largest.

Most websites are not formated for wide screen anyway.

Hopefully that helps out a little.
!