ToT- Memory Sticks

Memory stick = $ = OUCH!

Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
for my new camera was a whopping $99.

I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
as the name brand sticks.

Dayum.

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
15 answers Last reply
More about memory sticks
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >
    > Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    > stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    > for my new camera was a whopping $99.
    >
    > I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    > camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    > as the name brand sticks.
    >
    > Dayum.
    >
    > --
    > >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

    I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
    DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

    Icy
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2k7jb9F18bitiU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >
    > Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    > stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    > for my new camera was a whopping $99.

    What form factor? Compact Flash (CF) seems to have won the price war, but
    my new Kodak uses Secure Data (SD), which is about half the size. I just
    paid about $80 for 256 MB (SAN Disk) at Best Buy, the biggest capacity this
    model takes.

    > I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    > camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    > as the name brand sticks.

    BB had PNY, but they were slightly higher in price. I'd look for the
    compliance certification and check online for any bad reviews of an off-
    brand. (Doesn't work so well for impulse buys, of course.)

    I've got a nice little PNY card reader that takes 4 form factors: SD/MMC,
    MS/PRO, CF I/II, xD/SM. (Each of the 4 slots takes two kinds of cards.) I
    think it was $35, and saves me having to fish out the USB cable for my
    camera. I got it back when I had to borrow my roommate's camera (same
    model) and didn't want to take his cable or dock with it.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
    >his body were:
    > Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    > Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    > stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    > for my new camera was a whopping $99.

    Well, different types. Most cameras now run sd, that I've seen, which you
    have to fit alot more stuff into an incredibly small space

    > I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    > camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    > as the name brand sticks.

    you need to know where to look, unless you have a fry's near you, you'll
    probably pay more if you get it locally
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    IcyHot's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
    > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

    How much you want?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    IcyHot wrote:

    > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
    > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

    Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > IcyHot wrote:
    >
    > > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
    > > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.
    >
    > Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?

    Bleh... sorry bout that... They're actually Samsung ECC correctable 512's
    DDR 266 PC2100

    Icy
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > IcyHot wrote:
    >
    > > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
    > > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.
    >
    > Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?

    For exact chip specs they are Samsung 205 K4H560838C-TCB0's.

    Icy
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
    > news:2k7jb9F18bitiU1@uni- berlin.de:
    >
    >> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >>
    >> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    >> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    >> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
    >
    > What form factor? Compact Flash (CF) seems to have won the price war,
    > but my new Kodak uses Secure Data (SD), which is about half the size.
    > I just paid about $80 for 256 MB (SAN Disk) at Best Buy, the biggest
    > capacity this model takes.

    My Sony takes SD, too. I saw a card reader for only $19.95,
    so I'll look at it again next week. I've yet to install the driver for
    the USB connection this Sony uses to connect to my desktop,
    but that'll work fine for home. Seems to me the card reader would
    be great while out and about or on vacation. *If* I had a laptop
    with a USB port. <sigh> I *want* a laptop! <pout>

    Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
    for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
    I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >
    > Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    > stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    > for my new camera was a whopping $99.
    >
    > I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    > camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    > as the name brand sticks.
    >
    > Dayum.

    Probably a difference in terminology.

    You have the sticks that contain memory, which you poke into a USB port
    on a PC, and which are rapidly becoming cheaper.

    You have the simple RAM of Many Flavors, like SDRAM, which is
    cheaper'n'dirt.

    You also have the Sony Memory Stick, which is a proprietary format, and
    thus more expensive. Likely to remain so indefinitely. I mean, a memory
    card for a Playstation holds about 8MB, but still costs a few dozen bucks.

    --
    Frank
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    IcyHot wrote:

    > Shipping, handling and paypal fee.

    Working for God must pay big. ;-)
    --
    Frank
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in news:40df681c$0$846
    $a344fe98@news.wanadoo.nl:

    > Working for God must pay big. ;-)

    Yeah, but you don't get the payout until you leave town:

    http://www.geocities.com/church_of_hank/

    :D :D :D
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >
    > Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    > stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    > for my new camera was a whopping $99.
    >
    > I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    > camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    > as the name brand sticks.

    Whenevery you want to price memory, head thee first to Crucial.com .

    They have 256 Secure Digital for $58.

    BZB
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2ka2drF18fealU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
    > for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
    > I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)

    If it's SD, then it should. You just need Kodak's adapter called a
    "camera". ;) All cameras are supposed to use a standard directory layout on
    the card. At most, you just move the photos from one directory to another.

    And the printer does connect to the PC (by USB). You don't need the camera
    installed to use it.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Bill Z Bubb wrote:
    >> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
    >>
    >> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
    >> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
    >> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
    >>
    >> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
    >> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
    >> as the name brand sticks.
    >
    > Whenevery you want to price memory, head thee first to Crucial.com .
    >
    > They have 256 Secure Digital for $58.
    >
    > BZB

    Well of *course* they do! I didn't look there! LOL

    I suppose I should have inquired about compatibility first, huh?

    :::::thud!::::: :::::thud!::::: :::::thud!::::: :::::thud!:::::

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel, who learns by doing. Right *or* wrongly.....
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
    > news:2ka2drF18fealU1@uni- berlin.de:
    >
    >> Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
    >> for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
    >> I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)
    >
    > If it's SD, then it should. You just need Kodak's adapter called a
    > "camera". ;) All cameras are supposed to use a standard directory
    > layout on the card. At most, you just move the photos from one
    > directory to another.
    >
    > And the printer does connect to the PC (by USB). You don't need the
    > camera installed to use it.

    Well say, then, I could get just the wee printer! That way I could
    keep from switching papers endlessly! I bet by Christmas the price
    will be WAY cool. :)

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel, whose printer is across the room

Cameras Memory Video Games