ToT- Memory Sticks

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 27, 2004 6:44:22 AM

Memory stick = $ = OUCH!

Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
for my new camera was a whopping $99.

I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
as the name brand sticks.

Dayum.

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

More about : tot memory sticks

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 27, 2004 4:17:12 PM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>
> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
>
> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
> as the name brand sticks.
>
> Dayum.
>
> --
> >^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

Icy
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 27, 2004 5:55:52 PM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2k7jb9F18bitiU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>
> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
> for my new camera was a whopping $99.

What form factor? Compact Flash (CF) seems to have won the price war, but
my new Kodak uses Secure Data (SD), which is about half the size. I just
paid about $80 for 256 MB (SAN Disk) at Best Buy, the biggest capacity this
model takes.

> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
> as the name brand sticks.

BB had PNY, but they were slightly higher in price. I'd look for the
compliance certification and check online for any bad reviews of an off-
brand. (Doesn't work so well for impulse buys, of course.)

I've got a nice little PNY card reader that takes 4 form factors: SD/MMC,
MS/PRO, CF I/II, xD/SM. (Each of the 4 slots takes two kinds of cards.) I
think it was $35, and saves me having to fish out the USB cable for my
camera. I got it back when I had to borrow my roommate's camera (same
model) and didn't want to take his cable or dock with it.
a b } Memory
June 27, 2004 9:07:20 PM

>^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>his body were:
> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
> for my new camera was a whopping $99.

Well, different types. Most cameras now run sd, that I've seen, which you
have to fit alot more stuff into an incredibly small space

> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
> as the name brand sticks.

you need to know where to look, unless you have a fry's near you, you'll
probably pay more if you get it locally
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 27, 2004 9:07:57 PM

IcyHot's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
> DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

How much you want?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 27, 2004 11:05:52 PM

IcyHot wrote:

> I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
> DDR2100 512mb's PC133.

Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 28, 2004 12:04:26 AM

"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
> IcyHot wrote:
>
> > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
> > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.
>
> Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?

Bleh... sorry bout that... They're actually Samsung ECC correctable 512's
DDR 266 PC2100

Icy
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 28, 2004 12:06:12 AM

"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
> IcyHot wrote:
>
> > I've still got 2 512's sitting here if someone that I know needs them.
> > DDR2100 512mb's PC133.
>
> Umm.. DDR PC133? What's wrong with this picture?

For exact chip specs they are Samsung 205 K4H560838C-TCB0's.

Icy
June 28, 2004 5:13:57 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
> news:2k7jb9F18bitiU1@uni- berlin.de:
>
>> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>>
>> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
>> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
>> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
>
> What form factor? Compact Flash (CF) seems to have won the price war,
> but my new Kodak uses Secure Data (SD), which is about half the size.
> I just paid about $80 for 256 MB (SAN Disk) at Best Buy, the biggest
> capacity this model takes.

My Sony takes SD, too. I saw a card reader for only $19.95,
so I'll look at it again next week. I've yet to install the driver for
the USB connection this Sony uses to connect to my desktop,
but that'll work fine for home. Seems to me the card reader would
be great while out and about or on vacation. *If* I had a laptop
with a USB port. <sigh> I *want* a laptop! <pout>

Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 28, 2004 6:35:41 AM

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>
> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
>
> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
> as the name brand sticks.
>
> Dayum.

Probably a difference in terminology.

You have the sticks that contain memory, which you poke into a USB port
on a PC, and which are rapidly becoming cheaper.

You have the simple RAM of Many Flavors, like SDRAM, which is
cheaper'n'dirt.

You also have the Sony Memory Stick, which is a proprietary format, and
thus more expensive. Likely to remain so indefinitely. I mean, a memory
card for a Playstation holds about 8MB, but still costs a few dozen bucks.

--
Frank
Anonymous

IcyHot wrote:

> Shipping, handling and paypal fee.

Working for God must pay big. ;-)
--
Frank
Anonymous

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in news:40df681c$0$846
$a344fe98@news.wanadoo.nl:

> Working for God must pay big. ;-)

Yeah, but you don't get the payout until you leave town:

http://www.geocities.com/church_of_hank/

:D  :D  :D
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 28, 2004 7:17:06 PM

> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>
> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
>
> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
> as the name brand sticks.

Whenevery you want to price memory, head thee first to Crucial.com .

They have 256 Secure Digital for $58.

BZB
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 29, 2004 4:58:00 AM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2ka2drF18fealU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
> for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
> I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)

If it's SD, then it should. You just need Kodak's adapter called a
"camera". ;)  All cameras are supposed to use a standard directory layout on
the card. At most, you just move the photos from one directory to another.

And the printer does connect to the PC (by USB). You don't need the camera
installed to use it.
June 30, 2004 4:26:48 AM

Bill Z Bubb wrote:
>> Memory stick = $ = OUCH!
>>
>> Damn. A lousy 128MB isn't cheap. I saw a 512MB memory
>> stick for a desktop today for only $78, but the 256MB I bought
>> for my new camera was a whopping $99.
>>
>> I'll admit I was afraid to buy an off-brand for my new Sony
>> camera, but even the Lexmark knockoffs were priced as high
>> as the name brand sticks.
>
> Whenevery you want to price memory, head thee first to Crucial.com .
>
> They have 256 Secure Digital for $58.
>
> BZB

Well of *course* they do! I didn't look there! LOL

I suppose I should have inquired about compatibility first, huh?

:::::thud!::::: :::::thud!::::: :::::thud!::::: :::::thud!:::::

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel, who learns by doing. Right *or* wrongly.....
June 30, 2004 4:29:19 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
> news:2ka2drF18fealU1@uni- berlin.de:
>
>> Tell ya what, I wish my stick would go into that Kodak printer
>> for your camera! I saw 4" x 6" paper at Sam's Club for dirt cheap!
>> I got some, but I love the size of that Kodak printer! :)
>
> If it's SD, then it should. You just need Kodak's adapter called a
> "camera". ;)  All cameras are supposed to use a standard directory
> layout on the card. At most, you just move the photos from one
> directory to another.
>
> And the printer does connect to the PC (by USB). You don't need the
> camera installed to use it.

Well say, then, I could get just the wee printer! That way I could
keep from switching papers endlessly! I bet by Christmas the price
will be WAY cool. :)

--
!