Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drives to use in HP DL320S

Last response: in Storage
March 26, 2009 7:37:02 PM

Has anybody here ever used non HP branded drives in a DL320S?

We have a DL320S with existing 250GB drives but want to upgrade to 1TB WD drives (WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA). Questions we have:

1. SATA is SATA right? Shouldn't matter to use non HP branded drive?
2. Port position is standard on all drives? (SATA port and power port).

Any other thoughts from those with experience?

More about : hard drives dl320s

a b α HP
a b G Storage
March 26, 2009 7:51:00 PM

I've used several different kinds of HD's in dells, HPs, gateways....

HD's come with a few screw holes on each side for the reason that not all cases are the same. Some of the holes should line up.

There is SATA3.0 and SATA1.5. SATA3.0 is backwards compatible. So if your board supports 1.5, and the drive is 3.0, the drive will still work.

What OS and service pack are you running?
m
l

Best solution

March 26, 2009 7:53:36 PM

grifonik said:
Has anybody here ever used non HP branded drives in a DL320S?

We have a DL320S with existing 250GB drives but want to upgrade to 1TB WD drives (WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA). Questions we have:

1. SATA is SATA right? Shouldn't matter to use non HP branded drive?
2. Port position is standard on all drives? (SATA port and power port).

Any other thoughts from those with experience?

hp raid controllers tend to be picky. thier official answer is
3. Q: Can I use third-party (non-HP) devices with the Smart Array P400 and P800 Controllers?
A: No.

i've had better luck with these controllers than the sas controllers in the 385 and 460c. i'd tend to recommend seagate drives as hp likes to rebrand those and you'll get better luck with compatibility. but with the hp controllers its always hit and miss. make sure your running the lastest firmware for that card.

Related resources
March 27, 2009 12:08:31 PM

Thanks for input guys. I thought I scowered the hp site and still missed that link.

One of they guys here at work tried a WD 1TB Green (WD10EACS) drive and it worked fine. Just swapped the cage from old drive and it plugged right in. BIOS recognized the drive no problems.

I think HP ships their drives with write cache disabled. Possibly helps with RAID performance? WD write cache can be turned off as well if required.

We are using the latest BIOS firmware for the controller.
m
l
March 27, 2009 10:16:33 PM

grifonik said:
Thanks for input guys. I thought I scowered the hp site and still missed that link.

One of they guys here at work tried a WD 1TB Green (WD10EACS) drive and it worked fine. Just swapped the cage from old drive and it plugged right in. BIOS recognized the drive no problems.

I think HP ships their drives with write cache disabled. Possibly helps with RAID performance? WD write cache can be turned off as well if required.

We are using the latest BIOS firmware for the controller.

good to hear its working.

they turn the write cache off on the drives because most sata drives dont have any battery to keep the cache in case of power loss. so for data security they rely on the battery power cache on the raid controller. if data security isnt a major concern or you have a decent ups. then leaving the cache on the drive enabled will speed it up.

m
l
July 16, 2009 11:30:40 PM

No problem. I use 1TB and 2TB.
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
m
l
a b G Storage
July 17, 2009 12:44:41 AM

Quote:

You'll get almost the same performance between disabled write cache and enabled write cache on HDD if you have write-back enabled on the controller which uses caching on the controller instead. And to turn write-back on, most controllers requires you to attach a BBU (Battery Backup Unit) anyway.
m
l
!