SchmuckofNI

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I recently purchased three VANTEC TD8038H 80mm Case Fan - Retail and I am curious what you guys suggest that would be a good fan controller for these guys. I need one that supports at least .9 amps on each channel and has at least 5 channels. I am currently running one without a fan controller and it is very very NOISY. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

SchmuckofNI

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Unfortunately, I have tried that Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme fan controller, but none of my vantecs would spin no matter what I did. Any other ideas guys?

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I added a Vantech Tornado as a side fan in my wife's puter, and it was horrible. Sounded like the aliens were landing with their hugh engines roaring away. Switched to an Antec Tri-Cool, which has it's own 3 speed internal controller. Even on high, you have to listen for it. Temps still down 5 to 7 C, core temps at 27-30. From what I've read, there is no truly reliable and accurated front fan controller, though the idea is great and simple.

SchmuckofNI

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback! Two questions: what is the max rpms Lamptron "FAN-ATIC"- 5 Port Military Switch Baybus - 60 Watts Per Channel - Black? I just don't want to purchase it and find out that i can only have my fans at half their speeds with the switch on max. Does it have a PWM function? Thanks again!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Probably not. You need 4 wires for PWM, 3 for regualr fans and controllers. Most controllers just do voltage only, not PWM. Look at the pics. 3 Pin connectors is NOT PWM. If your fans are PWM, I don't know what to say except, put em' in the box, start over.

bilbat

Splendid
Only fan controller I've seen that will do PWM is Zalman MFC2; has three 3-pin voltage controlled channels, and one 4-pin PWM; pricey, cool-looking but poor display for off-angle viewing, but also has an external current transformer into which you can plug your system and read wattage drawn (up to 800W max) directly on the display...

TonyL222

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Here's the math:

amps = watts/volts
Watts = Volts x Amps

Those VANTEC TD8038H 80mm require .76 amps for max rpm. At 12V, you need a fan controller with at least 9.12 Watts per channel to run one fan on each channel. At 30 Watts per channel, there's no reason you should not have been able to run up to three of those per channel on the Rheobus Extreme. Maybe you had a faulty unit or something wrong with the PSU.

If you stick with those fans, make sure any fan controller you select is rated at least 9 Watts per channel (the ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 is only 7W/channel).