Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Connection
  • Cable
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 27, 2009 12:49:09 AM

I'm in the process of building my 1st 'from scratch' PC.
I think I ordered the wrong HD. I ordered Model: WD1500HLFS. This is the 3.5-inch (backplane-ready). I don't know what" backplane-ready" is but I'm wonderaing if I'll be able to connect it to my mobo using a SATA cable or will I need the 3.5-inch (SATA cable connect) version, Model: WD3000GLFS?
The WD website showing specs for the 2 models is here:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=459

Thanks and 'Hi' everybody!
This is my first post here.

My hardware (that I already have or can afford right now) for the build is:
Xclio A380 Full Tower, Core2 Q8200, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR2 1066, Corsair TX850W PSU, PNY GeForce FX5200, WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 10000 RPM SATA 3.0, WD 250GB, Sony DVD RW, X-Fi extreme, WinTV-HVR1600, 22" & 32"LCD flat

More about : velociraptor backplane ready sata cable connect

March 27, 2009 12:55:48 AM

This is the picture from the backplane-version. It just has the SATA connectors different located to allow for a 'slide in and out' bracket-like experience. Its still SATA so yes it should work, though it might be more expensive than the regular version.

So unless that is a concern, you would not need to change your order.
March 27, 2009 4:11:33 AM

People complained that it did not have the standard configuration for hot sswapable bays and that is why they have the back plate installed so it is the universal configuration. You can still use standard sata and power connector so no worries.
April 5, 2009 6:49:27 AM

Thanks guys. You were right. The drive plugged in with no problem and everything is up and running flawlessly.