Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Chrome 430 is going to take over the world. Ok, maybe not but nice job S3

chrome430GT256MB_performance.jpg

https://s3gstore.s3graphics.com/

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
We all gotta make a living. As long as it's competitive with cards in its price range, why wouldn't it be considered a success? If they did start making a move (in terms of volume) against Nvidia/AMD in any segment of the market, I imagine either company would drop the hammer on 'em and that would be that. I had a Toshiba laptop in 2002 that had an S3 video subsystem and it was a step up from the Intel offerings at the time. The S3 911 was a rather awesome product back in the day... if you needed an accelerator in 1990. I bought an S3 801 to replace a crappy Cirrus Logic 2D card my system came with... there weren't any real Windows games at that point so I didn't benefit, but hey... it worked... and man did Solitaire move those cards fast when you won.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Haha, did you get 60+ FPS in chess too? JK. If I was building an everyday rig, I would totally throw a chrome in there just to support the underdog players.

I am not making fun of it at all. I am glad to see S3 come out with something new that can grab some attention.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'm sure if I'd have used something like AutoCAD I'd have appreciated the card... but at the time I just had the urge to add something to my computer and I'm assuming that's what PC Magazine told me to buy. I was so impressionable at that age.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Weirdly enough, this card doesn't seem like a bad deal... But, I wonder how it really performs and if it has any compatability issues.

They're still looking for AIB partners for a spring launch. Right now it's still their reference engineering samples/design.

The 400 series will be the mid range, they will have higher ranges and low ranges (can't get too much lower but they will have them supposedly) coming out later.

Based on past numbers I suspect the higher range cards are going to be 600 series, and the low end either 300 (most likely) or 200.

Remember main thing for the chrome series is very light gaming and heavy HD video work. These will be mainly for OEMs wanting more than integrated has to offer. I suspect we'll see a few HPs, ACER, eMachines, and such with these. I don't suspect we'll see Dell at first as they usually wait on stuff like this unfortunately.

As unimpressive as the scores may be this is still the meatiest segment of the market the low-entry level multimedia/'gamer' cards (ie those who look to meet min system requirements for games) and if they get even 2-5% of sales they'd be making a ton more money than they, SIS, Matrox and Ageia's PhysX made last year combined.

I don't expect them to cause huge waves in the enthusiast community, but I sure am happy to see another player, I just wish it were Matrox though.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
*has to try and remember when the last time it was that S3 released a new 3d chipset* God wasn't that before they bought Diamond? Granted I haven't been paying too much attention to them since then, so I'm sure there have been a few more.

Maybe this will break the rep for bad performance that they had from the S3 Virge days.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Well, according to the 780G review here, the IGP of the mobo seems to be Radeon 3200 series, and since the Radeon 3400 series is slightly more powerful than that the AMD 780G's IGP, then perhaps the Chrome 430 GT's performance is similar to a Radeon 3650?