Sign in with
Your question

Will an AM2 chip fit a 939 MoBo?

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2008 1:25:45 PM

Just a quickie,

Was browsing e-bay for a cheap x2 939 chip (since there are no retailers selling them anymore) and saw an AM2 chip being sold in the 939 section with the claim than it'll fit in a 939 board?

is this true? and will a 940 chip fit in a 939 board too? does this affect the performance?

Will.

More about : am2 chip fit 939 mobo

a b à CPUs
March 21, 2008 1:56:00 PM

no
March 21, 2008 2:04:32 PM

Only when you figure out how to put a square peg into a round hole.
Related resources
March 21, 2008 2:20:44 PM

Gah, I hate it when they claim it's 4.0 GHZ just because its' dual core 2 ghz, very misleading. Think Asrock still do that motherboard that has the adapter so you could get that but if you're gonna change motherboard you may as well change everything. Overclockers.co.uk has a 3600X2 which is at least a dual core so you could OC that.
March 21, 2008 2:22:04 PM

will not fit. You cannot physically insert it.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2008 2:25:54 PM

spanner_razor said:
Gah, I hate it when they claim it's 4.0 GHZ just because its' dual core 2 ghz, very misleading. Think Asrock still do that motherboard that has the adapter so you could get that but if you're gonna change motherboard you may as well change everything. Overclockers.co.uk has a 3600X2 which is at least a dual core so you could OC that.

Agreed.

I hate sellers like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-4-0-GHz-3800-WOR...
March 21, 2008 2:54:28 PM

ainarssems said:
will not fit. You cannot physically insert it.

With some time, a hammer and a disregaurd for the well being of the components involved, I bet I could get it to fit. :bounce: 
a c 112 à CPUs
March 21, 2008 3:09:23 PM

what a **** scamming bastard(ebay)....

Hammers make things fit, but there may be a performance hit....:p 
a c 75 à CPUs
March 21, 2008 3:23:22 PM

How does a guy who sells 4GHz AM2/939 chips have a feed back of 98%+? I guess there are just people in the world who are REALLY good about spinning a good yarn. I love how he corrects it in the answer section (kinda corrected, whats this adapter he's talking about?) but the main page still says its an AM2/939.
March 21, 2008 3:29:42 PM

Is there really some adapter (besides a well placed hammer strike) that will make a 939 fit into an AM2 board?
a c 112 à CPUs
March 21, 2008 3:45:17 PM

No. the IMC makes that impossible since the DDR controller in 939 will not talk to DDR2 and the DDR2 controller in AM2 will not talk to ddr1 memory....
March 21, 2008 3:56:30 PM

nukemaster said:
No. the IMC makes that impossible since the DDR controller in 939 will not talk to DDR2 and the DDR2 controller in AM2 will not talk to ddr1 memory....

So they scammer in the ebay link is full of $H!+... Just like I thought.
March 21, 2008 4:38:47 PM

Wow, you know its funny because when you ask the question, you looked like an idiot. But then you showed why you asked it and wow, that ebay guy is an idiot.

He goes into such detail and explanation as to WHY a am2 and 939 will fit. What an idiot. I Hope he is getting bombarded by emails right now with people who know better. All he is doing is confusing those who may not know. Maybe that is his intent?
March 21, 2008 4:48:29 PM

After looking further at the page, he admits at the bottom an am2 will not fit 939, but still insist it will fit the same pin out? All references to 939 should be completely removed from the title AND the information. People like this who make computers so complicated.

This is asking for negative feedback, hope he gets it if he refuses to change.
March 21, 2008 4:55:59 PM

Hey guys, I have two Socket 939 mobos that can indeed run a Socket AM2 processor. ;)  It's not that simple though. The Asrock 939 Dual Sata II has a special CPU upgrade slot that holds a daughter card to hold the AM2 CPU and ddr2 mem. Next AM2 CPU I get my hands on I'll try it out.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AM2CPUBRD&c=fr&pid=e79...

Still would be totally shady to try and sell an Am2 to S939 owners though.
March 21, 2008 5:00:12 PM

pauldh said:
Hey guys, I have two Socket 939 mobos that can indeed run a Socket AM2 processor. ;)  It's not that simple though. The Asrock 939 Dual Sata II has a special CPU upgrade slot that holds a daughter card to hold the AM2 CPU and ddr2 mem. Next AM2 CPU I get my hands on I'll try it out.

Fascinating!
March 21, 2008 5:03:08 PM

pauldh said:

Would it not just be easier to spend 25 dollars more and get a new mb? I mean call me crazy but that sounds like more trouble then its worth. I can't imagine the weird problems and issues that would crop up using a card like that.
March 21, 2008 5:15:04 PM

pauldh said:

u gotta post pics when u do, I would love to see this.
March 21, 2008 5:16:42 PM

cranbers said:
Would it not just be easier to spend 25 dollars more and get a new mb? I mean call me crazy but that sounds like more trouble then its worth. I can't imagine the weird problems and issues that would crop up using a card like that.

I have not tried it to know how it will work, but have read some good things about it. I am curious to try it although wouldn't want to do this to my only rig if I relied on it.

But say someone has a single core A64 and 1GB PC3200. With this daughter card, no OS reinstall is needed. AM2 dual core is much cheaper and easier to find, and DDR2 is much cheaper. So it could be cheaper in the end to buy this daughter card, am2 chip and 2GB DDR2 rather than a S939 X2 and another gig of PC3200. Plus with this mobo having native AGP8X and PCI-e 16X, it really was quite the upgraders dream (or nightmare :p  )
March 21, 2008 5:27:56 PM

1. adjust a magnifying glass just right
2. line up the 2 for insertion
3. open window
4. chuck 939 proc outside.

939 x2 boards and processors still exist, you'll just have to do a little hunting to track it down. Its not really worth the trouble or money.
March 21, 2008 5:28:33 PM

FrozenGpu said:
u gotta post pics when u do, I would love to see this.

OK, Will do. Not sure when it will be though. I planned on doing this a while ago but had an extra 939 X2 4200 in stock and just plunked that in instead. I'd like to grab an AM2 4200+ to bench one vs the other. But then, I'd kinda like a faster chip instead. We'll see.
a c 75 à CPUs
March 21, 2008 5:32:47 PM

I have seen the motherboard that Paul speaks of. Not only does the CPU go on the daughter card, but the memory also. I found it an interesting concept, but I wasn't that impressed with it. Its been my experience that things that try to do everything, do it rather poorly. (motherboards that support SDRAM and DDR for example.)
March 21, 2008 5:55:37 PM

amazingly it didn't do that bad...It actually returned some decent numbers, and a decent overlcok as well, not bad at all.

I would do this if I had that asrock board, just b/c it looks interesting, but since I don't have it I think i can pass. :lol:  :lol:  :whistle: 
March 21, 2008 6:04:15 PM

I'm once again eager to try this out. To be safe, I'd want to go with a Windsor. The 3800+ is $50, the 5600+ is $140. I'm tempted to go with the cheap one right now for fun to try this, but know I'd much rather have the 5600+ to move to another machine after the thrill of testing is done.
a c 112 à CPUs
March 21, 2008 8:04:18 PM

that adapter disables the top of the board, so it has a different chipset and its own memory slots...

They even had one that did P4 and AMD the same way....i think toms reviewed it when it came out...
March 21, 2008 10:56:50 PM

Back in the day when the cheapest computer on the market was 999, 1998, it may have made sense to buy something so you can upgrade your computer cheaply. But buying one of these daughter cards just so you can fit an am2/939 in the opposite slots just seems silly. I mean doesn't it?

Motherboards now days cost 50 dollars at their cheapest, and with processors and ram as well at their lowest prices, why jerry-rig it? This can't possibly perform well, owell, if someone really does go for it, whatever floats the boat.

I guess when you have a 2k dollar rig in the world of sub 300 dollar computers it doesn't make sense. But for someone who is bored or extremely poor, guess it works.
!