jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i think this belongs to the other parts of this forum.
i have changed my hp mobo to gigabyte p35 mobo, yesturday. i thought i will be able to boot but i know ill get problems since i didnt format yet, i just wanted to install new drivers and not format it.

when i turn it on, right after the windows vista loading screen comes up, the pc restarts.

why is this happening?
i need tyo save my stuff on the hdd. i have another new 320gb, ill try to install vista on that hdd. do you think i can move files on the old hdd to new 320gb after the install?

also if i use hp recovery disk, (15disks) will i get same situation?

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
You can try booting into safe mode and see if you can uninstall the previous mobo drivers. Your best bet is to install on the new drive and then retreive your info once you have that one up and running. The hope that is your own copy of Vista and not the one that came with the HP. Some times the factory OEM Operating Systems will not install if they don't see an EOM Motherboard. Dell is really bad about that. I don't know about vista but with xp if it didn't see a dell mobo it wouldn't install.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

1 start with a new hard disk if you need to keep the data and unplug the old hard disk

install either vista on new hard disk or use the code on the side with a oem windows XP home edition cd - ask a friend for one...

install the drivers for everything

turn off pc, plug in old hard disk
copy data files across. it will ask permitions and say ok to them all - hopefully you didnt mark the directories as private as this can be a nightmare...

done,

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i tried to get into safe mode but, restarts.
after it restarts, it automatically checks the problems, when it is doing that. i can get into hp recovery. now im backing up my files to external hdd. hope this works

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Your best hope (since that copy of vista is registered with the HP mobo), is to get that copy of vista to install long enough for you to do a back up. You might be able to get authorization from either HP or M$ to us that copy on another mobo, but it's highly unlikely. I use to work Dell tech support and dell had there copies of xp keyed into dell only mobo's, which (like cisco said) could be the same issue here.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i backed up my files successfully!!. but i installed xp because i dont have vista, i wish there is a place to download that...

i installed all drivers for my mobo, but when i watch video on youtube, there is no sound. but when i test the speakers, it works (in the start bar) whats wrong?

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
have you tried playing something with sound from another program other then your browser? It could be the add-on for the browser not working, or not there.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
yes i did everything, even the windows media player doesnt have the sound,
but when you test it on the bottom right side of the screen,(audio driver) it makes that funky sound.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Check to see if there is more then one audio device installed, and if not, then try reinstalling the Audio drivers, or updated audio drivers if there are any.

Edit: also check and make sure nothing is set to mute in the sound panel.