• Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 25, 2008 3:33:03 AM

I'm building a new system:

q6600 OC to 3GHz or more
4gm DDR2 800 ram
ATI 4850

I've looked through the P45, P43, P35, X38, X48 chipsets and understand their differences.

I don't need X38/48 because I won't crossfire

I don't want P35 because it does not have PCIe 2.0 @ 16x

And I've decided P43 would be perfect if only it overclocks well (and apparently they don't)

So I'm left with P45 simply because it can OC better.

And out of the P45 boards I've been reading into the ASUS, Gigabite, and ASrock.

I don't actually have a preference between the brands, but by now after all the research I'm getting dizzy and decided to just go for ASUS, for no other reason than I am getting quite sick of reading reviews......

But then I am STILL left with the choice of:

P5Q
P5Q SE
P5Q SE-R
P5Q PRO
P5Q DELUX
P5Q PREMIUM

And that is just what I found from newegg, god knows if there are anymore. My question is, what are their main differences? I assume they only differ in certain features, but looking at their web site, they don't even tell you the differences!

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=709

And basically........which one would be best for my applications? Budget is of a concern to me unfortunately.

Or, if anyone has any other recommendations from other brands I'm happy to hear it.

Best regards.

More about : whats difference p5q pro delux premium

a c 136 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 7:11:49 AM

The difference is actually only in their heatsink and some ports that they have,i say go for P5Q-E it has a good price and has a good cooling.
September 25, 2008 5:02:16 PM

Maziar said:
The difference is actually only in their heatsink and some ports that they have,i say go for P5Q-E it has a good price and has a good cooling.

They also have different bios.

The higher end OC better but it is important to find a good price/performance balance.
Related resources
September 25, 2008 6:05:37 PM

P5Q = ddr2, single card
P5Q Pro = ddr2, x8 crossfire support
P5Q SE = ICH10 instead of ICH10R, however I can't remember whats the difference, no
P5Q SE-R = Same as SE but with ICH10R, uh, can't find a difference from the P5Q one.
P5Q Deluxe = Same as P5Q pro but with x16 crossfire support
P5Q Premium = Same as P5Q Pro but with quad crossfire support.
September 25, 2008 6:38:04 PM

"P5Q Deluxe = Same as P5Q pro but with x16 crossfire support "

I thought only x38 and x48 provide x16 xfire? If thats the case then its just the same as P5Q Pro?
September 25, 2008 7:01:36 PM

Both the P5Q Deluxe and Premium claim to provide x16 for two cards, with the Premium one having support for quad.

I have no idea if they can actually do that, I'm guessing they can since their price is a lot higher than the rest. And that's the whole point - they are in the same price range as x38 and x48 motherboards, so why not go for those?
September 25, 2008 7:18:34 PM

Here's newegg's comparison...you can see a few things different about chipsets and ports onboard (towards the bottom)...

Newegg's Comparison
a c 136 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 9:33:56 PM

All of P5Q series are P45 board and support CrossFire @ Dual 8x mode.
X38&X48 suppot CROSSFIRE @ DUAL 16x.
a c 136 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 9:34:59 PM

faster3200 said:
They also have different bios.

The higher end OC better but it is important to find a good price/performance balance.

Not necessarily it OCs better because u remember P5K PREMIUM?It was one of the most expensive P35 board out there but there were lots of bad thing about it.
September 25, 2008 9:57:11 PM

I went for the P5Q Pro at the end, thinking its the most popular one and the most value for money, kind of middle ground.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 10:43:31 PM

I personally have p5q se and it has just one pcie 2.0 slot but for my games single card will be fine so I went with it. When I bought it from newegg it was $99 so it was a good deal considering the mobo uses p45 chipset
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 25, 2008 10:57:43 PM

Well the Premium just gives each slot 4x bandwidth when you use all 4 of them, not very ideal, the deluxe gives 8x to the first slot, and 4x to the other two, While the pro gives each slot 8x, and the other boards just have one 16x slot. Of course for any of these boards it's likely that the first slot gets 16x bandwidth if it's the only one used. I say get the P5Q or the P5Q Pro.
September 26, 2008 12:46:41 AM

have p5q good board but the nb can run hot if your overclocking e7200@3.8 daily little fan solves the heat problems
September 28, 2008 6:22:13 PM

I'm debating between the P5Q SE/R and the P5Q PRO. I checked out their QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for DIMM's and see that the highly recommended Mushkin isn't on the list. Would it be a problem going with the Mushkin ... or would I be better off using one of the Corsair's on the list? Also, both boards support 16GB - but right now the 4GB DIMMs are really out-of-the-ballpark expensive ... does anyone think they'll drop into the "reasonable" category anytime in the near future? Or will DDR3 just push that idea aside?