error on windows xp home startup

Hi

On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
white X on the left hand side.

The error reads

"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start button
and then click search".

I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have nothing
in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
automatically to my documents.

The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
23 answers Last reply
More about error windows home startup

    Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and paste
    it back here to the group so that I can analyze it.

    HijackThis

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    > windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    > white X on the left hand side.
    >
    > The error reads
    >
    > "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    > correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    > button and then click search".
    >
    > I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    > nothing in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening
    > up automatically to my documents.
    >
    > The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >
    > Any assistance appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug

    Pcbutts

    Thanks again for your help.

    The only change that I made to my computer between the last fix and
    this one is the plugging in of a HP USB keyboard. Is it possible that
    this could be the cause? I only bought the keyboard at the computer
    market on Saturday.

    I will try the fix that you suggest and repost the hyjack log.

    Doug

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > You have what I like to call a stubborn one. Run this but be warned it will
    > clean out all temp files, cookies, MRU's, prefetch, bak, search history, web
    > history, everything that is not needed.
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/CleanUp40.exe After you use it run
    > hijackthis again and post another log.

    > "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > But its back again this morning - no reason - no web surfing - notbook was
    > > turned off - just no reason apart from that they are loading by
    > > themselves.
    > >

    > > Ad-aware found two tracking cookies - doug@imrworldwide.co,/cgi-bin and
    > > doug@doubleclick.net
    > >
    > > could these be causing the problems?
    > >
    > > I quarateened these before - and they just come back.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    > > Doug
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > >> You log looks fine.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

    Try this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:50:07 +1000, "gordon"
    <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >white X on the left hand side.
    >
    >The error reads
    >
    >"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start button
    >and then click search".
    >
    >I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have nothing
    >in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
    >automatically to my documents.
    >
    >The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >
    >Any assistance appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Doug

    Alan,

    Sorry, but I didn't find that helpful. I am not very confident with
    msconfig - is there potential to damage my computer?

    Doug
    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Try this:
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:50:07 +1000, "gordon"
    > <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >>windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >>white X on the left hand side.
    >>
    >>The error reads
    >>
    >>"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >>button
    >>and then click search".
    >>
    >>I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >>nothing
    >>in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
    >>automatically to my documents.
    >>
    >>The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>
    >>Any assistance appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Doug

    Hi,

    If you stick to the startup tab, you will not run into trouble. Nothing
    there is required by the system on boot, it's all optional. Deselecting
    (unchecking) boxes will put you in selective startup mode, this is normal.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Alan,
    >
    > Sorry, but I didn't find that helpful. I am not very confident with
    > msconfig - is there potential to damage my computer?
    >
    > Doug
    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:50:07 +1000, "gordon"
    >> <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >>>windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >>>white X on the left hand side.
    >>>
    >>>The error reads
    >>>
    >>>"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>>correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >>>button
    >>>and then click search".
    >>>
    >>>I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >>>nothing
    >>>in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
    >>>automatically to my documents.
    >>>
    >>>The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>>
    >>>Any assistance appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Doug

    Alan

    Thanks for your response.

    I think that you maybe right about the msconfig solution. I am not a
    complete novice - i am a programmer by trade - but I generally dont
    touch this part of the system. So I am a little reluctant to do things
    that i can't reverse out from.

    I think that i may have a bad registry entry due to a hp usb keyboard
    driver, or alternatively due to the intel wireless chip driver not
    working properly. But that is speculation on my part.

    I'll post the output from the msinfo32 file tonight - if you dont mind
    having a look.

    Additionally, I noticed that my network drives were not mapped
    correctly - but i thought that this may have been more to do with the
    system restore taking the machine back in time rather than any malware.

    Thanks again

    Doug

    I see no possible way you can do damage.
    If you uncheck something then you can always recheck it.
    If in doubt, do nothing and get a second opinion here.

    Check in Msconfig.
    (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    Start-Run-msinfo32
    Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    Click Startup Programs
    Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    Paste that information in your message.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:46:36 +1000, "gordon"
    <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >Alan,
    >
    >Sorry, but I didn't find that helpful. I am not very confident with
    >msconfig - is there potential to damage my computer?
    >
    >Doug
    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:50:07 +1000, "gordon"
    >> <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >>>windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >>>white X on the left hand side.
    >>>
    >>>The error reads
    >>>
    >>>"Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>>correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >>>button
    >>>and then click search".
    >>>
    >>>I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >>>nothing
    >>>in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
    >>>automatically to my documents.
    >>>
    >>>The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>>
    >>>Any assistance appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Doug

    Thanks to Alan,Rick and PcButts.

    I was thinking that there was something happening in the background like
    that.

    I did a series of system restores and found that the problem was with some
    spyware.

    I'll still run the hyjack routine and post here anyway as there maybe
    something i missed.

    Cheers

    > Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    > paste it back here to the group so that I can analyze it.
    >
    > HijackThis
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip

    > "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >> windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >> white X on the left hand side.
    >>
    >> The error reads
    >>
    >> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >> correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >> button and then click search".
    >>
    >> I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >> nothing in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is
    >> opening up automatically to my documents.
    >>
    >> The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>
    >> Any assistance appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Doug

    Good glad you got it sorted out.

    > Thanks to Alan,Rick and PcButts.
    >
    > I was thinking that there was something happening in the background like
    > that.
    >
    > I did a series of system restores and found that the problem was with some
    > spyware.
    >
    > I'll still run the hyjack routine and post here anyway as there maybe
    > something i missed.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    >> paste it back here to the group so that I can analyze it.
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
    >>
    >> --

    >> "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >>> windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >>> white X on the left hand side.
    >>>
    >>> The error reads
    >>>
    >>> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>> correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >>> button and then click search".
    >>>
    >>> I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >>> nothing in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is
    >>> opening up automatically to my documents.
    >>>
    >>> The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    here is the log - hope this is what you need to help me.

    ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

    Scan saved at 11:39:01 PM, on 1/08/2005

    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

    Running processes:

    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

    C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\1XConfig.exe

    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\OProtSvc.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe

    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe

    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe

    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe

    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

    C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe

    C:\HijackThis.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/

    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    http://www.tpg.com.au

    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings,ProxyServer =
    ftp=syd-net-fw2.tpg.com.au:3200;http=syd-net-fw2.tpg.com.au:3200

    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control
    Panel\atiptaxx.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EOUApp] C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program
    Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Eraser] C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe -hide

    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
    res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000

    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
    {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.tpg.com.au

    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage
    Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1121144107410

    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF}
    (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) -
    http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab

    O17 -
    HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B5C82B41-5AC6-4169-AA48-E640CB4B98BE}:
    NameServer = 4.2.2.2,4.2.2.3

    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} -
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll

    O20 - Winlogon Notify: IntelWireless - C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\LgNotify.dll

    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner -
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

    O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe

    O23 - Service: OwnershipProtocol - Intel Corporation - C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\OProtSvc.exe

    O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program
    Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe

    O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Thanks to Alan,Rick and PcButts.
    >
    > I was thinking that there was something happening in the background like
    > that.
    >
    > I did a series of system restores and found that the problem was with some
    > spyware.
    >
    > I'll still run the hyjack routine and post here anyway as there maybe
    > something i missed.
    >
    > Cheers
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> Download Hijack this, run it, save a copy of the log file and cut and
    >> paste it back here to the group so that I can analyze it.
    >>
    >> HijackThis
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip
    >>
    >> --

    >> "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    >>> windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    >>> white X on the left hand side.
    >>>
    >>> The error reads
    >>>
    >>> "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    >>> correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start
    >>> button and then click search".
    >>>
    >>> I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have
    >>> nothing in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is
    >>> opening up automatically to my documents.
    >>>
    >>> The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    You log looks fine.

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > here is the log - hope this is what you need to help me.
    >
    > ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

    Thanks

    But its back again this morning - no reason - no web surfing - notbook was
    turned off - just no reason apart from that they are loading by themselves.

    Ad-aware found two tracking cookies - doug@imrworldwide.co,/cgi-bin and
    doug@doubleclick.net

    could these be causing the problems?

    I quarateened these before - and they just come back.

    cheers

    Doug

    "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    > You log looks fine.

    > "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >> here is the log - hope this is what you need to help me.
    >>
    >> ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

    You have what I like to call a stubborn one. Run this but be warned it will
    clean out all temp files, cookies, MRU's, prefetch, bak, search history, web
    history, everything that is not needed.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/CleanUp40.exe After you use it run
    hijackthis again and post another log.

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Thanks
    >
    > But its back again this morning - no reason - no web surfing - notbook was
    > turned off - just no reason apart from that they are loading by
    > themselves.
    >

    > Ad-aware found two tracking cookies - doug@imrworldwide.co,/cgi-bin and
    > doug@doubleclick.net
    >
    > could these be causing the problems?
    >
    > I quarateened these before - and they just come back.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Doug
    >

    > "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
    >> You log looks fine.
    >>

    >> --

    >> "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> here is the log - hope this is what you need to help me.
    >>>
    >>> ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

    Doug (or Godon) or whomever.

    You can reverse anything you uncheck in Msconfig.
    The idlist error is very (in fact, extremely) likely due to an Intel
    wireless chip driver.

    ....Alan
    --

    On 1 Aug 2005 20:10:16 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Alan
    >
    >Thanks for your response.
    >
    >I think that you maybe right about the msconfig solution. I am not a
    >complete novice - i am a programmer by trade - but I generally dont
    >touch this part of the system. So I am a little reluctant to do things
    >that i can't reverse out from.
    >
    >I think that i may have a bad registry entry due to a hp usb keyboard
    >driver, or alternatively due to the intel wireless chip driver not
    >working properly. But that is speculation on my part.
    >
    >I'll post the output from the msinfo32 file tonight - if you dont mind
    >having a look.
    >

    >Thanks again
    >
    >Doug

    Alan

    I uninstalled the usb keyboard and removed a program called eraser. I also
    removed some of the other users in the control userpasswords2 application.
    I removed ACTuser, and ASPnet. I am using log in without password too. I
    like your DTS-L site too - and Kelly's greate corner. Very valuable
    resources for me in future.

    Now my sys info is as follows:
    All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AGRSMMSG agrsmmsg.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ATIPTA c:\program files\ati technologies\ati control panel\atiptaxx.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_CC c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgcc.exe /startup All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_EMC c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgemc.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_Run c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgw.exe /runonce NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    HKU\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_Run c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgw.exe /runonce NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL
    SERVICE HKU\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_Run c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgw.exe /runonce NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    SERVICE HKU\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG7_Run c:\progra~1\grisoft\avgfre~1\avgw.exe /runonce .DEFAULT
    HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Adobe Reader Speed Launch c:\progra~1\adobe\acroba~1.0\reader\reader~1.exe
    All Users Common Startup
    CTFMON.EXE c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    HKU\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTFMON.EXE c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    HKU\S-1-5-19\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTFMON.EXE c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    HKU\S-1-5-20\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTFMON.EXE c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe CENTRINOHOME\Doug
    HKU\S-1-5-21-3427727331-2678038678-1383322507-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    CTFMON.EXE c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe .DEFAULT
    HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    EOUApp c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\eouwiz.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    IntelWireless c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\ifrmewrk.exe /tf intel
    proset/wireless All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    IntelZeroConfig c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\zcfgsvc.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~2\office10\osa.exe -b -l All Users
    Common Startup
    Power2GoExpress CENTRINOHOME\Doug
    HKU\S-1-5-21-3427727331-2678038678-1383322507-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RemoteControl "c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd\pdvdserv.exe" All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SynTPLpr c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntplpr.exe All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini CENTRINOHOME\Doug Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    gcasServ "c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasserv.exe" All Users
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    but the error has gone away again (until tomorrow???)?

    Thanks for your help - sorry if I was a bit too cautious about msconfig
    yesterday - had many bad experiences with my previous laptop.

    > Doug (or Godon) or whomever.
    >
    > You can reverse anything you uncheck in Msconfig.
    > The idlist error is very (in fact, extremely) likely due to an Intel
    > wireless chip driver.
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > On 1 Aug 2005 20:10:16 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Alan
    >>
    >>Thanks for your response.
    >>
    >>I think that you maybe right about the msconfig solution. I am not a
    >>complete novice - i am a programmer by trade - but I generally dont
    >>touch this part of the system. So I am a little reluctant to do things
    >>that i can't reverse out from.
    >>
    >>I think that i may have a bad registry entry due to a hp usb keyboard
    >>driver, or alternatively due to the intel wireless chip driver not
    >>working properly. But that is speculation on my part.
    >>
    >>I'll post the output from the msinfo32 file tonight - if you dont mind
    >>having a look.
    >>

    >>Thanks again
    >>
    >>Doug

    Alan,

    I have tried all of the items in the start-up group.

    Is it possible that this relates to a user profile? I have found that
    the error doesnt occur if i use control userpasswords2 and i make it
    that a person (me) has to log on. This removes the error - however
    when I make it that a user doesnt have to log on - the error appears to
    come back. I might try to create a new user - and give them admin
    rights and then look to delete or rename my old profile.

    This is a perplexing problem - and to me it defies logic - i can
    reboot, log off, restart, shutdown - and all is well - but if the date
    changes in the meantime then the problem resurfaces!! Maybe that is an
    observation rather than a co-relation but i am stumped logic wise.

> [...]
    >> wireless chip driver.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On 1 Aug 2005 20:10:16 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Alan
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your response.
    >>>
    >>>I think that you maybe right about the msconfig solution. I am not a
    >>>complete novice - i am a programmer by trade - but I generally dont
    >>>touch this part of the system. So I am a little reluctant to do things
    >>>that i can't reverse out from.
    >>>
    >>>I think that i may have a bad registry entry due to a hp usb keyboard
    >>>driver, or alternatively due to the intel wireless chip driver not
    >>>working properly. But that is speculation on my part.
    >>>
    >>>I'll post the output from the msinfo32 file tonight - if you dont mind

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> [...]

    >Common Startup
    >Power2GoExpress CENTRINOHOME\Doug
    >HKU\S-1-5-21-3427727331-2678038678-1383322507-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >RemoteControl "c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd\pdvdserv.exe" All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >SynTPLpr c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntplpr.exe All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini CENTRINOHOME\Doug Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    >desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    >gcasServ "c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasserv.exe" All Users
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If it is relates to user profiles, then I cannot help.
    Nobody else has ever used a computer of mine, so I have no need of
    profiles.

    ....Alan
    --

    On 2 Aug 2005 19:48:06 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >> >Common Startup
    >> >Power2GoExpress CENTRINOHOME\Doug
    >> >HKU\S-1-5-21-3427727331-2678038678-1383322507-1006\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> >RemoteControl "c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd\pdvdserv.exe" All Users
    >> >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> >SynTPEnh c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe All Users
    >> >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> >SynTPLpr c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntplpr.exe All Users
    >> >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> >desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    >> >desktop desktop.ini CENTRINOHOME\Doug Startup
    >> >desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    >> >desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
    >> >gcasServ "c:\program files\microsoft antispyware\gcasserv.exe" All Users
    >> >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ok thanks for your help anyway - it has been a learning experience for me.

    Thanks for your website too - i will use that in future

    > If it is relates to user profiles, then I cannot help.
    > Nobody else has ever used a computer of mine, so I have no need of
    > profiles.
    >
    > ...Alan
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > On 2 Aug 2005 19:48:06 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Alan,
    >>
    >>I have tried all of the items in the start-up group.
    >>
    >>Is it possible that this relates to a user profile? I have found that
    >>the error doesnt occur if i use control userpasswords2 and i make it
    >>that a person (me) has to log on. This removes the error - however
    >>when I make it that a user doesnt have to log on - the error appears to
    >>come back. I might try to create a new user - and give them admin
    >>rights and then look to delete or rename my old profile.
    >>
    >>This is a perplexing problem - and to me it defies logic - i can
    >>reboot, log off, restart, shutdown - and all is well - but if the date
    >>changes in the meantime then the problem resurfaces!! Maybe that is an
    >>observation rather than a co-relation but i am stumped logic wise.
    >>

    >>Alan Edwards wrote:
    >>> Use Msconfig as a troubleshooter, selectively disable items and reboot
    >>> until you find the cause.
    >>>
    >>> ...Alan
    >>> --
    >>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Sorry I couldn't have been of more help on the user problem
    FWIW, the web site is not mine, it is ours.

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:05:23 +1000, "gordon"
    <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    >Ok thanks for your help anyway - it has been a learning experience for me.
    >
    >Thanks for your website too - i will use that in future
    >
    >Doug
    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> If it is relates to user profiles, then I cannot help.
    >> Nobody else has ever used a computer of mine, so I have no need of
    >> profiles.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> On 2 Aug 2005 19:48:06 -0700, "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Alan,
    >>>
    >>>I have tried all of the items in the start-up group.
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible that this relates to a user profile? I have found that
    >>>the error doesnt occur if i use control userpasswords2 and i make it
    >>>that a person (me) has to log on. This removes the error - however
    >>>when I make it that a user doesnt have to log on - the error appears to
    >>>come back. I might try to create a new user - and give them admin
    >>>rights and then look to delete or rename my old profile.
    >>>
    >>>This is a perplexing problem - and to me it defies logic - i can
    >>>reboot, log off, restart, shutdown - and all is well - but if the date
    >>>changes in the meantime then the problem resurfaces!! Maybe that is an
    >>>observation rather than a co-relation but i am stumped logic wise.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "doug" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Pcbutts
    >
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >

    > The only change that I made to my computer between the last fix and
    > this one is the plugging in of a HP USB keyboard. Is it possible that
    > this could be the cause? I only bought the keyboard at the computer
    > market on Saturday.
    >
    > I will try the fix that you suggest and repost the hyjack log.
    >
    > Doug

    And boot to Safe Mode and run your adware scans there.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Try uninstall the intel Proset utility(for Wireless)...

    gordon 寫道:

    > Hi
    >
    > On my notebook computer I get an errror each time I start up (I am using
    > windows xp home). This error comes in a dilaog box with a red circle and
    > white X on the left hand side.
    >
    > The error reads
    >
    > "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:520:1592,'. Make sure you typed the name
    > correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start button
    > and then click search".
    >
    > I can click OK to close this box - but it should not occur. I have nothing
    > in the start-up group on my menus. The windows explorer is opening up
    > automatically to my documents.
    >
    > The 1592 bit seems to change each time I reboot.
    >
    > Any assistance appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug

Windows XP