Heres a doozy of a problem for you guys

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
First my rig:
MSI K9A2 Platinum
AMD 5000+ BE
4X G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
EVGA GeForce 8800GT
Asus lightscribe 20x dvd-rw SATA
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU
4 120mm fans
2 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive
Artic cooling freezer 64 pro

Now the problem:
Installed new hardware no problem. Trying to do a New install of XP, works fine untill it gets to the "setup is starting windows" blue screen where it just hangs there. I disabled all the usb and Ieee devices, reset the bios and cmos, tried install with just 1GB and 2GB no luck. Tried to install with one SATA HDD and IDE DVD_ROM with no luck. I forced memory timing to rec setting of 5-5-5-15 with v1.9 fq. I have IDE set instead of RAID and AHCI. All power cables are plugged in. Preformed memory test using windows memory diagnostics tool found no problems at 5 passes when run on both medium and high setting. RAID is off and both HDD are brand new. tried switching sata ports still same issue. For vista the same applies, slapped it into the drive to install, the "windows is loading files" screen finishes the bar at the bottom then all i get is a black screen. Ive tried all the steps above with vista and still the same results.

MSI - expect this kind of thing.

Manually set all your ram timings, force the speed to 533 and the ram vcore to 1.9v, also what brand is your hdd? test it and run memtest too.

fletch420

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
slao for a small bt easy to miss item make sure your OD drive is the primary masteron the jumpers and not sec or slave.

good luck

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
im only trying one wester digital cavair hdd to install on, just to get it working. its SATA so i dont have any jumpers on it. tried to force ram speeds but still no go =( is mobo faulty?

Download and run Memtest (boot cd image)

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
try another SATA port, make sure the hd is not set to RAID in the bios, make sure the HD wasn't part of an old RAID array. the problem sounds like a bios setting issue.

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Preforming memory test using windows memory diagnostics tool and memtest86+ right now. RAID is off and both HDD are brand new. tried switching sata ports still same issue

Naw-yi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
if your installing a 64bit operating system you'll be fine with the 4gb of ram but if your installing just a 32 bit os the 4 gb will not do.

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
So heres where im at. I preformed a memory test, both showed no errors after 5 passes on any of the RAM. I tried installing with 2GB in single channel with no help. I switched to 533 and 1.9V with no luck. switched to 1.9v at 667 and still no luck.

albundy2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
are you using an original disk. i have had probs w/linux and a poorly burnt disc doing what you describe. if this is the case then burn another copy and set the burn speed to 4x or slower. if that dont work your img is corrupt.

other thought try only 1 stick ram and see where you get. put all settings back to default. dont install any drivers unless you have to [aint broke dont fix]. stay calm and dont over think it.

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Vista is original. XP works. I also tried with one stick to no luck =/ and tried on default settings. The first thing i thought of was it being a memory issue, but memtest and windows diagonstic both stated memory being ok. i am truely lost on this one, I can post pics of the mobo and components if that would help. Im thinking of just sending off the mobo back to newegg but i would hate to do that if its something stupid. MSI customer support is no help either = /

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This is a dumb question, but you have to start somewhere. I assume you've plugged the power cable into your 8800GT, right?

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
i do have the pcie power cable plugged into the back of the 8800 and have the jpwr1 plugged in as well. I will try my ide toshiba dvd-cdrom drive again and see if there is any change. I really appreciate the help everyone is giving me because im stumped of the problem and am really aching to get this thing running

mrsoonerfan

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
i probably wouldnt tell them you are using a bootleg copy of XP, lol. Make sure your not in Raid, also if you checked the AHCI at startup it can do this. VERY touchy stuff that AHCI is, blue screened me everytime until I switched back to IDE. After I installed OS I then switched to the AHCI. Do not ask me what in the heck it is, not too many people including the geeks at PCClub where I bought my parts for my rig could explain it the same way twice, all I know is it will mess you up during install. Hope this helps.....

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
lol its not "bootleg". I do have ahci turned off running in IDE. I dont have the slightest of idea what to do anymore. I forced memory timing to rec setting of 5-5-5-15 with v1.9 fq800

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
so heres where im at so far:

Installed new hardware no problem. Trying to do a New install of XP, works fine untill it gets to the "setup is starting windows" blue screen where it just hangs there. I disabled all the usb and Ieee devices, reset the bios and cmos, tried install with just 1GB and 2GB no luck. Tried to install with one SATA HDD and IDE DVD_ROM with no luck. I forced memory timing to rec setting of 5-5-5-15 with v1.9 fq. I have IDE set instead of RAID and AHCI. All power cables are plugged in. Preformed memory test using windows memory diagnostics tool found no problems at 5 passes when run on both medium and high setting. RAID is off and both HDD are brand new. tried switching sata ports still same issue. For vista the same applies, slapped it into the drive to install, the "windows is loading files" screen finishes the bar at the bottom then all i get is a black screen. Ive tried all the steps above with vista and still the same results.

I have a couple of discs for an xp install. One goes so far and won't install any further. Pop in the other one and no problem. There may be a blemish on the disc keeping you from completing the install. Is it possible for you to burn the disc ( iso ) and use the new copy ?

Did you try a different dvd drive " it may not be able to read the entire disc. I had that happen too.

xyxer

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

1. either your disk isn't being detected (f6 and driver install in xp)

or

2. Vista and _all_ sb600 motherboards have this issue in AHCI mode. Either

1. install in IDE mode in bios (set SATA to IDE compatibility mode), finalize all driver installation, copy ATI AHCI driver to windows/system32 (for 32 bit vista), change registry to start msahci (wait nearly 2 hours for my biostar ta690g to boot my install ati ahci driver, reboot and voila everything works fine)

2) slip stream hotfix into vista dvd (create yourself new one)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931369

3) go out buy vista sp1 with the hotfix once they come out (or download one for many floating images of vista with sp1 on the web and use your legit serial key to install)

-xyxer

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
i did notice that when i uninstall my harddrives from the motherboard and psu, then try to install windows vista to see if it will say it couldnt detect the HDD, it still gets the black screen

donmiguel

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
just got off the phone with MSI, they said to return the board. = / thank god i purchased it from newegg RMA shouldnt take to long. Ill keep you updated and thanks again everyone