wiesi

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Hi,

I just bought the C2D E8400 CPU and updatet my BIOS to v2.5 (which should work with this CPU).

My system hangs as soon as I power it on. Black Screen, all drive-leds are on and nothing happens.

Do you have any ideas what could be the problem. Broken CPU?

Thanks and Regards
wiesi

Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
When I first built my rig a couple years back, the same thing happened, turned out to be a dodgy stick of RAM. If you have 2 sticks, you could try using them one at a time, swapping them round, shifting them to different DIMM sockets, or if you have spare RAM lying around you could try using that?

Tazmaniandevil

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Well folks this cpu is still under testing by msi, as being a Wild Tazmanian Devil i recommend a different brand motherboard like the asus p5k, sadly the schuffeled the e8400 and the msi in my new system . TAZ can bang his head for not checking the credentials on internet . Whasrpldhazha wjahanze! ( you can fool taz once but the second time he 'll eat you)

It seems that the cpu is to fast and sometimes the motherboard isn't ready yet..

at my hardware store (local ict chinese ;-) ) they now know it but have to wait another week almost to be able to do what we Wild tasmanian devils tend to do..

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Interesting.

Did you have a different CPU on that system to upgrade the bios? I'm trying to understand how you knew it had the 2.5v bios.

Also, if you did have a previous CPU/bios, and flash updated the bios properly, did you hit the reset button after it was complete (system should have been powered off)?

One thing that bothers me about flash updates, you not suppose to use the floppy drive for updating the bios. After updating mine, I could really understand why MSI didn't wan users to use floppy drives to update the bios.