Which 1.5tb drive for small company nas?

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
i've waited as long as i can; i need to order new drives by monday morning latest. replacing existing 750gb drives with 1.5tb. we are going to get either the Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 $130, or Western Digital's Caviar Green WD15EADS $160. The drives are going into a NAS (no OS on these drives). I was hoping WD would have released a Black 1.5tb model by now so I would have more choices; bummer. Noise is of absolutely no concern, wattage difference between drives no concern, performance of minor concern - at most we might have two users simultaneously accessing the device/drive, reliability major concern.

Is the debacle with Seagate's 1.5tb drives over? Are they still stuttering/bricking problems -- because i'm really wondering if they somehow have a design flaw that their firmware updates are not able to fix? It seems some of the dust has settled, but I'm still seeing 5+% negative feedback on retailer forums. On the other hand, some techies who I somewhat trust have told me the issue(s) is definately resolved.

Someone smarter than me, shoot me opinions, please.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009

brand/model/price?

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I would not take a chance on the seagates. I bought three of them and two are dead. For the first 2~3 months they all were great very fast for my use but then they all started to show problems and the 1st actually died. With the latest firmware it brought the dead one back to life (only for a couple days) and the others seemed to work but had the second finaly die a couple weeks later.

With all the problems the 1.5 seagates have been it caused me to use the WD RE3 drives on my latest build which are about as fast but are noisier.

Translucency

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I prefer the WD Green series you mentioned (WD15EADS). It also has a version with extended warranty. The key difference with other drives is that they run on 5400rpm, still have high throughput, but consume only half the power other drives are using. Should prove a reliable drive, which is probably most important for small companies.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009

whoa. was it like a refurb or something? that's an unbelievable price! where did you buy/find it? dell.com? in-person at a store?

TRENDING THREADS