Two identical NAS drives where to backup, need reboot to access, why??

sekkari

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002
I have to D-Link 323 NAS where I backup my servers. The drives are identical, same ip, same name etc... Only one is connected to network, both isn't on the network on the same time. Idea is to get the backup to NAS drive and change NAS biweekly, whoever now when I change NAS I need to reboot all servers (2003 & Xp) so they can connect to NAS.

It seems some sessions or something is still on servers memory. I have tried to use arp -d command, but It doesn't help. What would help so I don't need to reboot servers everytime I change the NAS drive?

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
So what your saying is your using the nas drives as a replacement to biweekly tape backups.

1. My first recommendation would be to change the ip address and name of the second drive and have them setup separately, Your probably right it sounds like a saved session. Try the rename scheme and hit me up

2. Secondly if i had caught you early i would have smacked you for buying d-link. Ive never owned a d-link product that i liked. Piss poor products.

3. I would like to make one note. Im a recently graduated in the network administration field and computer tech A+ ... Network +

If you backup to a nas your loosing the majority of the security features. file and folder permissions on ntfs don't carry over into fat file systems which are required at the moment on nas setups not to mention encryptions. Host of other problems related to that. If you use a 3rd party backup like ghost it supports other encryption protocols which i would recommend.

sekkari

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2002

D-Link was cheap, let's see how they work. I have had few bad experiences with D-Link products. I don't lose security features cause I backup my data with Acronis True Image.

I wanted same ip and name so I don't need to create different backup routines, only change NAS biweekly. That is still the goal, if I cannot find the command to terminate ongoing session, then I will create different routines for different NAS drives.