My mouse moves but I can't click on anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Windows XP desktop.
I start my computer in normal mode and it starts loading fine. Then when it gets to the desktop the mouse icon moves but it doesn't allow me to click on anything. No response from the keyboard. Ctrl – Alt-Del doesn't work. I think it gets hung up in the boot ( possibly loading drivers?) I have rebooted several times with the same results. Starting in Safe mode everything works OK. When starting in safe mode it lists various drivers as it progresses; I don't know how many there should be – or if this is any help because safe mode works OK.

How can I fix this?
Thanks Don

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
If it is a USB Device, unplug the device, and then start your computer with neither inserted. Then once its started up, plug them both in. If that does not work, go to the BIOS Menu and reset the bios to factory settings. If both of these dont work, try to make the number pad on your computer the mouse and try using them to re-install the drivers for the keybaord, mouse, and USB ports on the motherboard.

I know in the past i have turned the Number pad on the keyboard into my mouse using those arrow keys, but i honestly can not remember how. But that would be the course of action i would start to take to make them work again.

It's not a BIOS or port issue. The mouse moves, so it's being recognized.

It sounds like explorer is getting hosed on startup. Boot into safe mode and check the event viewer for errors.
start-->eventvwr.msc-->system-->look for red X's with a time stamp of the freezing.

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

I forgot to mention that I also tried a USB mouse; in normal mode it went to desktop but there was no mouse function at all.

.... So I tried eventvwr and there are some red x's. Don't know what they are - never in eventvwr before.

common to my several startup attempts are:
acpi event 4 and event 5
service control manager 7026 & 7003
DCOM 10005

A few days ago I got service control manager 7022 also 7035
and a Dhcp 1002

Would going back to a restore point help this problem ?
thanks for helping. Don

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Thanks for your help on this. I've been trying ccleaner but my problem returns after a few minutes of runtime.
I'm on my 3rd different restore point date now - which has been running OK for about 5 min.
I'm watching the Task Mgr Processes now to see if anything looks weird to me, but I've never really looked at
these before. I've shut down some processes of app. I rarely use.

I'll let you know the outcome.
thanks Don

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

I tried running a program that used to be fine ( works fine in Safe mode) that seemed to be a stopping point if I tried to use it lately. It hasn't initiated yet, but the system hasn't locked up either. and my hard drive light is still flickering.

Noticed that the cpu usage is now running constantly at 100 % but showing activity in the counters below.
Physical Mem. is Tot = 523760 Avail. = 208500 (fluctuating ) Sys Cache = 196744

the program still hasn't loaded after 5 minutes - don't know if it's still in some que or not.

My mouse still works to move the task mgr , physical mem. is still fluctuating, still nothing listed in Applications.

Don

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
NOw the screen is leaving tracks ( not erasing) where I've moved task mgr.
thought I'd try to shut down before it crashes, but When I hit the X on the task mgr that was it.

back to "mouse moves but no response to button clicks"

don

Check the event viewer. Some application probably crashed.

When you get back into windows, go to start-->run-->chkdsk /r. This will schedule a chkdsk for the next time you restart, and try to repair any errors it finds.

If you have an XP disc, put it in the drive, go to start-->run-->sfc /scannow. This will scan your system files for errors, and replace any damaged files.

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
continuing..... I went through the steps in your page as you suggested below your signature - that seemed helpful.
but still windows is not running so I didn't do the chkdsk etc. yet.

But I was checking around the web for more info on amdagp.sys file which is where my safe mode load always stops -
I don't know if it should go further or not, but it just seems suspicious. although safe mode seems to work fine.

So I noticed this post which is about what I'm seeing :
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/amdagpsys/38081.html

"when i attempted to boot from safe mode, it would just get to the amdagp.sys file " well, safe mode at least works for
me. the resolution is the lowest setting [ it think it must be fixed there cause it doesn't change if I try to ].

I think my problem started because of some application that I had to go to very high res. with several weeks ago.
I've changed the res in safe mode and I'll restart to see if this improves my windows load.

Don

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
that didn't help. so .... well, at least I'm writing all this from my new pc .
I guess it's time to get my treasured stuff off that old one and move on.

BTW I'm really getting used to safe mode; it reminds me of my Apple IIe.

Don

First, since safe mode works, I'd start with the chkdsk /r.

Then I'd run sfc /scannow.

If neither help, I'd run a windows repair. This wouldn't touch any user data, just system files.

If there's still problems, I'd update all the drivers.

And if it's still a problem, update the BIOS.

G

I don't know if you could still use suggestions on this or not. (I doubt it considering your post is a year old) anyways this worked for me so I thought I would share.

Try pressing ctrl + shift + Num lock (this enables mouse keys).

I was messing with mouse keys a few days back instructing someone how to enable them with just a keyboard an easy way so I tried out the short key and it worked.. well then today being 3 days after that day is rather odd and i can't really see the connection.. I tried it as a last thought kind of thing and it worked.. xD

Just in case what happened to me aren't the same problem here's how mine was acting (also to help other people with the same problem to find this post from Google or something)

Problem: Mouse will move around the screen but when you click on anything it doesn't highlight or initiate any sort of action except it did seem to take focus off the current window as if a completely full screen transparent overlay was over the screen.

My solution was: Pressing Ctrl + Shift + Num lock

Hope this helps,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.