Sign in with
Your question

Merge partitions

Last response: in Windows XP
July 16, 2010 6:44:10 PM

Hello,I have a 500 gig external hard drive (usb port) with two partitions. Letter G for one and letter H for the other. both have been formatted. How can I merge the two partitions into one?

More about : merge partitions

July 16, 2010 6:58:03 PM

Do the partitions have on them any data that you wish to save?
m
l
July 26, 2010 3:40:08 PM

The partition has no data. I received a solution by following the directions in XP disk management. It was a sequence using command prompt. It is mentioned in the help section on merging.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 9:47:53 AM

I think merging partition is urgently needed after you have used your computer for a long time cause you will find some partitions have much space, while some partitions space has almost been used out, especially for system partition, you may get a low disk warning, and your computer will run slowly. So I think you can find some third party partition management software to assist you, they are easy to use. I want to recommend several acronis disk director, easeus partition master, paragon partiton manager, etc. Try to take advantage of third party software. you will relax more. Good Luck
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:37:29 AM

droffilc said:
Hello,I have a 500 gig external hard drive (usb port) with two partitions. Letter G for one and letter H for the other. both have been formatted. How can I merge the two partitions into one?

Hi, in the past there's no way to merge two partitions into one derectly unless backup the data on one of the partition, and then delete it, add the unallocated space into another partition by using windows disk management (if you are running Windows 7/VISTA or Windows Server 2008) if you were running Windows XP, 2003, you could only use the disk part command to add the unallocated space into another partition and then readd the data into it.

But now you need not do that, with the new upgrading of the latest partition magic for windows 7, you could merge two partitions into one directly and without lossing data.
You could refers to this article about : how to merge two partitions into one
m
l
July 30, 2012 3:10:27 AM

droffilc said:

You can easily merge partitions into a big one with aomei partition assistant, free download:http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,222251-order,...
m
l
!